PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Can you recommend tobacconists in your area? I'd rather drive to Portland than Seattle.
The 2 to check out are Rich's (the one downtown) and 82nd Ave Tobacco. There are others, but the pickings are slim. Tim's Great Cigars in Fairview, east of Portland, has some branded bulk and a few tins, Tobacco Town carries some pipe tobacco, and Cascade Cigar carries only its own house brand bulks. Be prepared to pay over $20 for a tin. Excise tax here is 65% of wholesale.

I've always meant to drive over to Lil' Brown's in Yakima, an Indian owned tax free reservation business, but have yet to do so. For some reason, it's not allowed to ship to Oregon.

Reactions: theloniousmonkfish

JoeKemp

Lurker
Jan 17, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Hello to you all from Centralia Washington. My name is Charles, I'm a relatively new pipe smoker, and I'm also interested in making pipes as I have a background in design, carpentry, and bladesmithing. Glad to be here and I'm looking forward to the conversation.
Hello from Brooklyn!

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Welcome from Granite Falls, Wa. +1 for Rich's in Portland though it's not what it used to be. You might consider joining the Seattle Pipe club. Meetings are virtual right now but normally we meet in Fife. The next meeting is this Wednesday.
Fife, really? Where at, Baby Zacks? Is there a smoke shop I've overlooked? Oh yeah, welcome aboard, Charles.

Reactions: anotherbob

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Welcome to the site. I live in Vancouver, Wa. You will learn a ton here. I second joining the Seattle Pipe Club. Don't worry, it meets in Fife at Smokey Joes, so you won't have to go to Seattle.

I have yet to make it to Rich's, but 82nd Ave has always done right by me. They seem to have less pipe tobacco every time I go in, but still enough to make it worth the trip.

The 65% oregon tax is bad but not as scalding as the 95% tax in WA.

If you can, get a buddy in oregon that you can mail order pipe tobacco to. It helps. A lot. :)

It is cool to see so many folks from WA/OR on here. Once the world rights itself, we should do a PNW meetup.

Soap lake is awesome. I soaked in there and felt great! There was a sanintorium there that Soldiers coming back from WWI went to in order to recover. Neat place.

Reactions: strave19 and mingc

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I have yet to make it to Rich's, but 82nd Ave has always done right by me. They seem to have less pipe tobacco every time I go in, but still enough to make it worth the trip.
If you haven't been by 82nd in a while, you might be pleasantly surprised. They seemed to have stocked up during the lockdown (they've now reopened).

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hello to you all from Centralia Washington. My name is Charles, I'm a relatively new pipe smoker, and I'm also interested in making pipes as I have a background in design, carpentry, and bladesmithing. Glad to be here and I'm looking forward to the conversation.
Welcome Charles! Welcome to this great forum. There are lots of carvers on here who I'm sure will help you home your designs.

4dbn2x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.