PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mackthe419

Lurker
Feb 1, 2021
Toledo
www.facebook.com
I've seen the MPB and Diamond inlays on Brebbias before, but never the Circle B. Can anyone help tell me when this was made? I can't seem to find any info on the interwebz.

A little history:
I had a pipe similar to this and it didn't get much use. I was talking to a customer who mentioned he was getting into pipes. Well, I like to help newbies out, so when I got home, I put together a little care package. About a dozen samples, a Jetline lighter I got in one of those mystery boxes P&C use to have, one of my many tampers, and my Brebbia. I soon regretted giving up that pipe and couldn't find another one to no avail. Until recently. And here it is.

Edit: I just found the PipePhil section with this line. But no date info.

Attachments

• brebbia lido.jpeg
    brebbia lido.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Take this with a grain of salt. The round “B” logo can be found on pipes still stamped “M.P.B.” as well as “BREBBIA” on the briar portion of the pipe. I have some Brebbia Lido finishes with four digit and three digit codes and both have the round “B” logo. I suspect these are from a transitional period circa 1968 as the metal diamond “M.P.B.” logo morphed into the plain diamond logo we see today. This is all supposition based on stummel stamping and known dates for certain changes (i.e., company name change), so not necessarily correct, but maybe. The “M.P.B.” metal logo has also been used after the plain diamond to further confuse matters, so seeing how the the wood portion is stamped can be helpful. The round “B” logo was not exclusive to the Lido designated pipes.

Reactions: mackthe419

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My Brebbia has that Pewteresque B in the stem. Mine was from around the mid 90's. It had the smoking gnome stamp as well. Though I honestly get the feeling that the different (what is the term for those stem inlays) inlays at that point might have designated certain lines and not time periods. I don't know. It just feels that way.