Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Ok gentleman (& you rough ones), need help identifying this pipe. Took these pix from Sherlock Holmes: The Sign of the Four. (Not starring Jeremy Brett, sadly.) Can’t find this calabash anywhere, & I’d greatly like to buy one like it. Thx for any help. & Merry Christmas, you sexy beasts. A9BD4389-65A8-438E-A820-9232DA36C08A.jpeg7EBCC5B1-EC46-41D6-B0A0-47E0919B0551.jpeg

Reactions: UncleRasta

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Get in touch with Dave (@Ahi Ka). He may have one he is willing to let go.
They come up from time to time on Ebay
Deadmanpipes had a couple not that long ago
One was an unsmoked Barling in pristine condition.

The problem with an estate is the meerschaum bowl is NOT removable because fo the fixed silver rim.
No way of knowing what lurks within the gourd.
And a bugger of a job to clean out the decades of inspissated tars and goop

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ok gentleman (& you rough ones), need help identifying this pipe. Took these pix from Sherlock Holmes: The Sign of the Four. (Not starring Jeremy Brett, sadly.) Can’t find this calabash anywhere, & I’d greatly like to buy one like it. Thx for any help. & Merry Christmas, you sexy beasts. View attachment 189638View attachment 189639
Several on ebay.

dctune

Several on ebay.

So now I have a further Q:
Are there any briars, or perhaps mahogany pipes that have this same design? I didn’t realize that was just a gourd calabash with a meerschaum insert that was sealed in by the rim.

I’d love a calabash-style pipe that is one piece and a stem. Seems like it’d be pleasant.

I actually a calabash with a removable meer bowl. I like it, but the bowl is quite small, it doesn’t draw great, and the screw-on stem is a little lose. I bought it new some 15 years ago. Have probably only smoked it a handful of times. But it sure looks nice!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
So now I have a further Q:
Are there any briars, or perhaps mahogany pipes that have this same design? I didn’t realize that was just a gourd calabash with a meerschaum insert that was sealed in by the rim.
At first blush, I thought the pictured pipe was a briar calabash too.

As a result, I was intrigued since traditional calabash pipes don't catch my eye (although I get the concept of being stage pipes for theater purposes, since it's hard to see a nose warmer from the balcony).

Reactions: dctune

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I suspect one of these would make a better collectible than a smoker. I can say from personal experience that the inside of the gourd accumulates nasty, black goop which needs to be cleaned out now and then. If you can't remove the bowl I don't know how you could do it. If you want a real calabash get one with a removable block meerschaum bowl. You'll be better off. puffy

dctune

I suspect one of these would make a better collectible than a smoker. I can say from personal experience that the inside of the gourd accumulates nasty, black goop which needs to be cleaned out now and then. If you can't remove the bowl I don't know how you could do it. If you want a real calabash get one with a removable block meerschaum bowl. You'll be better off. puffy
I actually have a calabash with a removable meer bowl. Rarely smoke it. But it looks great!

I’m really just interested in a briar with a calabash shape, but with a standard type bowl. I have zero desire to own a calabash with an insert that cannot be removed.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have a gourd Calabash. It seems a little too theatrical for me. But I have an all-briar Calabash, a Peterson B10, that I enjoy for its ample chamber, its compact design, and its hefty look but relatively light weight. It's no substitute for a gourd, if you want one, but definitely worth consideration another time.

dctune

I don't have a gourd Calabash. It seems a little too theatrical for me. But I have an all-briar Calabash, a Peterson B10, that I enjoy for its ample chamber, its compact design, and its hefty look but relatively light weight. It's no substitute for a gourd, if you want one, but definitely worth consideration another time.
My gourd calabash is fun to look at, but it doesn’t draw very well, and the bowl is just plain small. And I don’t mind small bowls, but such a small bowl on such a large “eventful” pipe just throws me off.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks! I don’t necessarily need the metal rim. A calabash-shaped briar would be perfect.

Such a pipe would require a really large block of briar, be very difficult (maybe impossible) to drill, and have a number of other impracticalities for both the maker and smoker.

Result? Something called a "horn" is about as close as you're going to get. Carvers usually reserve their best and biggest blocks for those, however, because they are labor intensive to make. Result? They are typically showpieces that sell for quite a lot when they DO get made.

You best bet would be a traditional gourd calabash (they aren't expensive), with a bowl insert that has been adorned with silver but is still removable. (Many good carvers could handle that job).

Imagine a silver dome attached to the briar bowl insert on this pipe as an example:

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
This thread has made so many of you guys want a briar with the true calabash shape, that in the spirit of Christmas I've decided to make one of you happy. That's right, I'm selling this calabash for only $10,000. Hope to hear from the lucky buyer soon. Merry Christmas. puffy

inggline (2).jpg

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
My gourd calabash is fun to look at, but it doesn’t draw very well, and the bowl is just plain small. And I don’t mind small bowls, but such a small bowl on such a large “eventful” pipe just throws me off.
It does seem counterintuitive, which would bother me as well.

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California