PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
Good morning all. Let me know what you guys think. Is it time to give up on this one? The pipe has been discolored since wiping the JB weld away with Everclear. The junction doesn't come together as perfectly as it did but the JB weld seems to flake off with relative ease. She's pretty enough for me to keep around if I can get the shank to hang together.IMG_20240221_081637556.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123
Getting someone to do a repair for something like that on a meer is going to cost more than the pipe did. And, anything I could suggest to fix it yourself is just not going to make that pipe worth smoking.

I'm sorry. It sounds like you've gotten into a sucky situation. Just tossing it may make you feel better. But, for me sometimes smashing it with a hammer or crushing it with a boot helps a lot better.

Reactions: JackofNone
In the future, I would advise against using JB Weld on your pipes. To me it has a disgusting tractor grease smell, and it really isn't a very good epoxy for wood or stone. It is better for... actually, I can't think of anything it would be good at, since I can actually weld, ha ha.

I just can't imagine smoking a pipe with that horrible smell to it. Plus, it makes an ugly seam.

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
In the future, I would advise against using JB Weld on your pipes. To me it has a disgusting tractor grease smell, and it really isn't a very good epoxy for wood or stone. It is better for... actually, I can't think of anything it would be good at, since I can actually weld, ha ha.

I just can't imagine smoking a pipe with that horrible smell to it. Plus, it makes an ugly seam.
Hopefully I don't have any more broken pipes but next time I'll chill out and ask the forums before rushing into it

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
This will constrict the airway a little, but you might be able to insert and epoxy a short section of 3.0 mm or 3.5 mm aluminum or brass tubing (depending on the size of the draught hole) to bridge the two pieces before using epoxy to bond the faces of the two halves. The tubing will provide support that you didn’t have when you just epoxied the faces together.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Rich at Briarville could band the repair for you. I've seen a few older meers with a band in the middle of the shank - I've even seen a couple where the bowl was banded.

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
I'm honestly going to get the smallest good metal tubing I can find and if I need to expand the airway by half a millimeter I'm willing to put a drill in this pipe and see what happens. But yeah last resort. It's not worth it anymore as life has given me bigger fish to fry

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
I feel like I should also mention that, while I lost this pipe today, I also found an old fishing tackle box with a favorited knife and needle nosed which I had previously assumed as lost to night this summer.. Funny how things can appear to balance out.