PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RandyP

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
I picked this one up at a garage sale. It's got a twin bowl, which screws on, and seems to be made of some kind of carbonized "plastic". That just seems so wrong. The stamp appears to read, "Kohinoor" and those 3 stamped insignias on the band appear to be branches of the military - an anchor, a star and a duck walking with a golf club, but it could be a brand insignia. The band shined up nicely, so it appears to be plated silver. I've googled Kohinoor, and Kaywoodie did have a pipe shape named that in the 1930's, but this isn't the same shape. I'd love to know if anyone has run across a pipe like this or has any conspiracy theories they'd like to throw out there.

Attachments

• IMG_5676.jpg
    IMG_5676.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5677.jpg
    IMG_5677.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5679.jpg
    IMG_5679.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 29

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Not odd at all.
There are quite a few versions of double-bowled pipes
Some have meerschaum inner bowls
I do wonder which came first - these or gourd calabashes ?

RandyP

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
Not odd at all.
There are quite a few versions of double-bowled pipes
Some have meerschaum inner bowls
I do wonder which came first - these or gourd calabashes ?
I've seen the meerschaum twin bowl, but haven't run across plastic.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Bakelite is molded = seams
That is how I tell if a stem is bakelite
I have a whole lot of Bakelite stems and non of them have casting flash lines, nor have I ever seen Bakelite with cope/drag marks and I’ve got a lot of it in my house.

Bakelite was typically extruded not pressed or molded. The extruded Bakelite was generally machined into shapes.

If you have stems with cope/drag separation lines or casting flash it’s a rubber, celluloid, or gutta percha stem.

RandyP

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
I have a whole lot of Bakelite stems and non of them have casting flash lines, nor have I ever seen Bakelite with cope/drag marks and I’ve got a lot of it in my house.

Bakelite was typically extruded not pressed or molded. The extruded Bakelite was generally machined into shapes.

If you have stems with cope/drag separation lines or casting flash it’s a rubber, celluloid, or gutta percha stem.
Yeah, its def not Bakelite. It feels pourous, slightly soft... which is why I think it's odd for an inner pipe bowl. Any thoughts on the stamped insignias??

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
My old meerschaum Cutty has a replacement (??)Bakelite stem
The seams are still visible (just) even though I sanded them back carefully
I have presumed it to be Bakelite as it fits into the timeframe of this pipe
View attachment 286151
That looks like a plain old premolded vulcanite stem to me, is it translucent? If it's opaque black it's probably not Bakelite. What we call Bakelite in the pipe world is generally Catalin, which is Bakelite in any color other than black/brown. Catalin stem are usually translucent and range from passing light to completely translucent. They range in color but are mostly of the red (redmanol) or amber swirl (rock ambera) variety. It has much harder mouth feel like lucite.

Here’s a 100+ year NOS Catalin (Bakelite) stem I just made a Weichsel stem out of for @Humblepipe. IMG_9134.jpeg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That looks like a plain old premolded vulcanite stem to me, is it translucent? If it's opaque black it's probably not Bakelite. What we call Bakelite in the pipe world is generally Catalin, which is Bakelite in any color other than black/brown. Catalin stem are usually translucent and range from passing light to completely translucent. They range in color but are mostly of the red (redmanol) or amber swirl (rock ambera) variety. It has much harder mouth feel like lucite.

Here’s a 100+ year NOS Catalin (Bakelite) stem I just made a Weichsel stem out of for @Humblepipe.
The stem is opaque black. And hard
Thanks for the information.
Good to know

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG