PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

happy_lunter

Lifer
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Welcome aboard from Innisfil, ON.

Been here for a while and still keep finding useful insights from time to time.

My first pipe was a Legend cob. Some dozen pipes later I can’t say its my favourite, but it does the job and a good aromatics smoker. For the price you can’t go wrong.

Mac713

Lurker
Mar 21, 2022
Kingman, Arizona, USA
Welcome from Arizona. I'm at the other end of pipe smoking spectrum having been a frequent pipe smoker 30 years ago. Now, I'm back into it and restoring my old briar pipes. Interestingly, my 40 year old Corn Cob doesn't need restoration. It was tucked away in my pipe chest (out of the direct sunlight). Give them a try. They smoke great.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Welcome from Pennsylvania and New York.

caricature_giuliani__01__01.jpg

There are a good number of briar pipes that might be more aesthetically appealing than the cobs you've looked at, at a price that won't break the bank. Ropp's Etudiant line, Rossi, Bones, and others are well made and not terribly expensive.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Likely different but I haven’t bought my first pipe yet. I use to smoke cigars (just occasionally now) and I vape. I read that I should buy a cob pipe but I’m not a big fan of how they look. I see I’m in for a learning curve so I’m sitting back and reading through the threads to learn as much as I can. I see that there is a lot of knowledgeable people here so thank you in advance for my novice questions.
Welcome from Montréal, Québec. Lots of good information out there. Enjoy the journey!

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
Welcome from another Montrealer! I bought a discount briar first, I dislike cobs, so don't buy anything you aren't attracted to.

jeffya2

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2015
Ontario Canada
Likely different but I haven’t bought my first pipe yet. I use to smoke cigars (just occasionally now) and I vape. I read that I should buy a cob pipe but I’m not a big fan of how they look. I see I’m in for a learning curve so I’m sitting back and reading through the threads to learn as much as I can. I see that there is a lot of knowledgeable people here so thank you in advance for my novice questions.
Welcome from Ontario, Canada. lots of great help and info here

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Greetings. If you’re within an hour’s drive of Oshawa connect with the team at Victory Cigars. They should be able to put you in touch with the Lakeshore Smokestacks which is a pipe club run in Durham Region. They welcome newcomers to their monthly meetings and have lots of helpful folks ready to help get you started.

I never recommend new pipe smokers start with a cob. I would encourage you to go to a pipe shop and look, touch and evaluate the pipes on offer. Run a cleaner through the pipe from button to bowl, making sure the air war is clear. In doing so, I’d recommend you buy the pipe in your budget you like the most. This is your first pipe, and you want it to be something you like and relate to.

Similarly to the pipe purchase, I think you should smell the different bulk tobaccos your tobacconist sells, and by small volumes of a variety of tobaccos to see what you like. Finding your go-to tobaccos is a journey, and it doesn’t always happen quickly.

Have a look online at various methods of preparing a bowl, and lighting a pipe. Everyone has a different approach, but there are some fundamentals here that you’ll pick up by watching.

Welcome to the fellowship of leaf and briar.

— Pruss

Status
Not open for further replies.