Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

I

just didn't know if wood stain reacts well with heat.
In my limited knowledge, I do know that you shouldn’t use wood stains. Leather stains are what I see pipemakers using. I think the alcahol based ones are most used. There is a pipemakers forum, where this type of stuff is discussed with actual pipemakers. I just can’t remember the name of it.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Alcohol based leather dye, water based leather dye, or trans tint wood stain are what you want to use to stain a pipe. Do not use oil based or water based wood stain. Set the dye/stain with a flame and let fully dry for 24hours.

You can start with a dark stain, sand it off then apply a lighter stain for a contrast effect.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You also have the option of leaving it unfinished which will eventually allow it to develop color and over time, with luck, a kind of polished look, with no use of polish or wax. This does take some years, but the smoking in the meantime is usually good.

SteveP

Lurker
Jul 11, 2022
stevenrperkins.weebly.com
Alcohol based leather dye, water based leather dye, or trans tint wood stain are what you want to use to stain a pipe. Do not use oil based or water based wood stain. Set the dye/stain with a flame and let fully dry for 24hours.

You can start with a dark stain, sand it off then apply a lighter stain for a contrast effect.
What is the reason for not using something like a Minwax stain? I saw a guy on YouTube who used Minwax Provincial, which is a nice color.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I use these interchangeably. View attachment 230832
I am never used Fiebings on wood, but I have used it frequently to dye antler and bone when making knife handles. I'm sure it will work great on wood as well.

This thread reminds me, I think I still have a Plateau block somewhere that I started making a pipe about 30 years ago but never finished. I think I will have to find it and see if I can't finish it. Sounds like a fun project!

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Alcohol dyes like Fiebing leather dyes are first choice, because they act quickly and you can easily sand darker or black stains off to get another lighter coat to get a nice contrasting stain.

Natural dyes like Coffee or tea also work out nicely. Takes a little more drying time. Wonder about what red cabbage might do.

I would finish the bowl before staining thoroughly, with 120, 240 and finer grit up to 400 and even 600 dry, and wet maybe up to 1000.

This thread is quite old, so what happened to your bowl, is the pipe ready???

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I've carved a couple of blocks a fear years ago. I used plain olive oil and buffing. I've also used LIGHT shoe polish in a couple of estates which were discoloured with some success.

breaog

Lurker
Jun 19, 2023
I finished the pipe. The only Finnish is beeswax. I didn't put too much into the Finnish because I got the walls too thin. One has developed a dark spot after smoking.

Reactions: orvet and UB 40