PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
As you may have seen me mention before, I love Dunhill's The Aperitif and wish it was continued by, well, anyone. I was referred to the clone-attempt by McConnell called "St. James Park (SJP)." It is, sadly, not a replacement. The Latakia used is just not the same, and it is missing a touch of the well-rounded sweetness that the original delivers. The body is in the ballpark but the whole misses the point. (how's that for some mixed metaphors). The missing elements however, may be contained within Lancer's Slices. The tin note of SJP is just not like The Aperitif. The tin note of Lancer's Slices is darn near the same! Smoking the Slices, the rich sweet creamy Latakia/Virginia is all that was missing from the SJP (but of course, lacking the orientals that SJP did do a good job on). My effort here will be to mix the SJP and Lancer's Slices to combine the strengths of each. First try is 2 parts SJP to 1 part Lancer's Slices...
IMG_3627.jpg

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
That one is so unique! I think I still have 8 or 10 tins and I am being very careful with the little I have left.

Reactions: Scottmi

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I welcome all other inspirations or effort to come up with a 'home clone' for this blend! a few puffs in and am thinking need to lean the other way, 2 LS to 1 SJP.. but that might end up too hevy on Lat and not enough oriental. It might end up having to be something like 50/50 LS and an oriental focused blend like Peretti's Tashkent or, well, i don't know just yet. If it can even be done... :sher:

Last edited:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
As you may have seen me mention before, I love Dunhill's The Aperitif and wish it was continued by, well, anyone. I was referred to the clone-attempt by McConnell called "St. James Park (SJP)." It is, sadly, not a replacement. The Latakia used is just not the same, and it is missing a touch of the well-rounded sweetness that the original delivers. The body is in the ballpark but the whole misses the point. (how's that for some mixed metaphors). The missing elements however, may be contained within Lancer's Slices. The tin note of SJP is just not like The Aperitif. The tin note of Lancer's Slices is darn near the same! Smoking the Slices, the rich sweet creamy Latakia/Virginia is all that was missing from the SJP (but of course, lacking the orientals that SJP did do a good job on). My effort here will be to mix the SJP and Lancer's Slices to combine the strengths of each. First try is 2 parts SJP to 1 part Lancer's Slices...
View attachment 217013
I understand Lancer's Slices is made by Dan Tobacco. Perhaps one of its other latakia blends might come close to Aperitif for you.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
That one is so unique! I think I still have 8 or 10 tins and I am being very careful with the little I have left.
Yeah, I just cracked a tin from 2018 and it's heavenly. Have ten more left in the cellar. Not sure why Peterson won't reissue this one. Always sold very well at the B&M. Good luck with the blending experiment. I would also suggest trying the Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation 1882 Founders Blend. It's not a match blend, but you would probably enjoy it.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I'm actually smoking Aperitif and 4th Generation 1882 side by side in Ferndowns right now. The 1882 is less Latakia forward and has a bit of nuttiness from the burley. I think the 1882 is a great blend in its own right, but if you added a pinch of Lat to it, it would get closer to Aperitif. I might try that myself for the fun of it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yeah, I just cracked a tin from 2018 and it's heavenly. Have ten more left in the cellar. Not sure why Peterson won't reissue this one. Always sold very well at the B&M. Good luck with the blending experiment. I would also suggest trying the Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation 1882 Founders Blend. It's not a match blend, but you would probably enjoy it.
“Peterson” is just a brand name. The former “Dunhill” blends have been made by STG since.. the ‘90’s?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Scottmi

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I'm actually smoking Aperitif and 4th Generation 1882 side by side in Ferndowns right now. The 1882 is less Latakia forward and has a bit of nuttiness from the burley. I think the 1882 is a great blend in its own right, but if you added a pinch of Lat to it, it would get closer to Aperitif. I might try that myself for the fun of it.
Let us know!

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
First smoke was ok, but didn't capture it. The SJF is, like, twice the nic of The Aperitif (aka "The OG"), too. Next effort is 2 LS : 1 SJP.. this time put into the noodle press with not too much pressure.. will leave for maybe a week, then break it up, jar it and try it. re 4th Gen 1882 - I will have to get some--tnx!
IMG_3628.jpg

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
“Peterson” is just a brand name. The former “Dunhill” blends have been made by STG since.. the ‘90’s?
Did STG already own Orlick back then ? Anyway, just miffed that the powers that be haven't (won't ?) reissue one of my favorites. Is it possible they didn't buy the rights to every Dunhill blend ?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Did STG already own Orlick back then ? Anyway, just miffed that the powers that be haven't (won't ?) reissue one of my favorites. Is it possible they didn't buy the rights to every Dunhill blend ?
I suppose so. But they certainly could release it under a different name. Or just sell it as a match.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
.. Surprised McConnell didn't label theirs "Digestif".
McConnell had to rename their original releases of Dunhill matches because their first choices were too close to the original Dunhill names. They probably wouldn’t be in any mood to tempt fate with another naming go-round.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
McConnell had to rename their original releases of Dunhill matches because their first choices were too close to the original Dunhill names. They probably wouldn’t be in any mood to tempt fate with another naming go-round.
Yeah that's true.
I always half-wondered why Dunhill didn't do a Digetiv blend.

After all, we've got Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Unbundled the press and jarred up the the second mix attempt of 2 parts Lancer's to 1 part St James Park, and sampled it. It was good! Better than the first go, but this time a bit too far the Lancer's way which dialed down the orientals just a touch too much. Several more bowls-worth still in the jar, will see if/how that develops over a few weeks. Next try will be 50/50 with the Lancers and St James Park.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Tried adding the pinch of Latakia to the 1882, but it wasn't enough. Going to try two pinches. Still not sure I'll be able to mute the burley enough to come close to Aperitif. At my B&M Saturday morning one of the gang brought in a 6 year old jar of C&D Constellation and it was very nice. Maybe a touch less sweet than Aperitif, but the Orientals were amped up, very incense like. It's only available in bulk.