PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
It took me awhile to appreciate the beauty of horns and zulus. But about a year ago I saw one that was so exquisite I decided to take the plunge. I have two superb pipes by the carver and have great respect for him. After one careful smoke, however, I was shocked to find that the distal part of the rim was badly scorched.

No matter what I did, intense heat would creep up the bowl and overheat the part of the rim that had been scorched. As far as I'm concerned, the pipe was un-smokeable. I doubt this is a common issue with horns but despite their beauty, I'm not likely to get another.

So, horns: what do you think of them?

Last edited:
Reactions: Latakia Dave

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
It took me awhile to appreciate the beauty of horns and zulus. But about a year ago I saw one that was so exquisite I decided to take the plunge. I have two superb pipes by the carver and have great respect for him. After one careful smoke, however, I was shocked to find that the distal part of the rim was badly scorched.

No matter what I did, intense heat would creep up the bowl and overheat the part of the rim that had been scorched. As far as I'm concerned, the pipe was un-smokeable. I doubt this is a common issue with horns but despite their beauty, I'm not likely to get another.

My simple minded brain objects to a bowl that isn't fairly vertical. Think I got ADS. LOL. Can you post an image of the burn you got?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida

I have one pipe a Rad Davis Zulu that has a forward Cant and I am not a fan. I would have sold it off but I a magical combo of 2012 Mac Baren Old Dark Fiired happened and that is the only blend I smoke in it and I love the combo so I am glad I kept it.
Here is the pipe.