PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

birdog

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
Upstate, South Carolina
While visiting family out of town, and low on tobacco I packed with me...I stopped at a cigar store that had some Sutliff aro blends....one was marked Vanilla Royale, and the other Spiced Rum...the proprietor evidently bought it in bulk, weighed out 2 oz. portions and bagged it.

I knew it would be PG laden, but tried to dry them enough to smoke, which I thought I did: had two bowls and I'm sitting here this morn, with a raw tongue, roof of mouth, etc. I haved smoked pipes off and on for a long time, and there was some flavor, and the tobacco was packed loosely, and I did not freight train puff it, and the smoke did not feel hot...but yet my mouth is not happy!

Now it's wrapped loosely in tin foil, in a 300 degree oven, and I just opened the door to let air get to it and hopefully dry it more....I feel like I wasted my money. The only aros I get along with recently are RLP6, and Nutty Irishman. Pure light burleys with some added flavor, seem to fit the bill best. I have been smoking Stubb's Pipe and Deluxe crumb cut from Ernie Q, which are quite easy on my tongue and mouth and pleasant...just wish there was a tad more sweetness and a tad less nicotine.

The trouble I find when reading tobacco descriptions, is with the the term cavendish. Is it made from virginias or burleys?

So I just checked it again, and will try smoking some after my mouth recovers....it now is pliable, and does not clump, but it seems , it could go another round to get it drier ( will this help?), before the crumble apart stage....Will report back if this makes a difference.
Please, share your experiences, if similar, and methods to help this atrocity, plus, any other light burley based value blends with some added sweetness.

Much appreciated. Helpful feedback needed.
T

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Pretty sure Cavendish can be either Va or Burley, it's about how it is "processed" if that's the right term.

The rest is kind of all over the place so hard to answer. I like Sutliff Spiced Rum, lol, have some on the way with a recent order. It's definitely moist, but so are lots of aros. Taking you at your word on the description I'd guess and pure guess you are having some chemical reaction or some aspect of what you are doing isn't what you think you are doing.

But drying should help. I'd just air dry it and be patient. When I've used an oven, and I have, I'll just set it to 200 degrees, put it on a plate, stick it in and when it's done with the preheat in our top oven it's usually just right, but that depends on the tobacco. But you can get kind of a sugary "burn" aspect that I don't think is pleasant and haven't done it for a long time.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

sunnysmokes

Lurker
Oct 10, 2023
Tropical United States
I've never tried any of the tobaccos you mention. However, I won't touch a tobacco until it is crunchy crispy dry. Insanely dry. Most people would think it's bad, dry. Lol
I have some 965 that might be this dry since I'm considering rehydrating it. Why do you like it this dry? I tried a bowl of it and it made me cough instantly

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
^ this. And even doing so, you may still find the additives irritating/ unpleasant/ just not your preference.

Birddog is right re: Cavendish. You may find this article interesting.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Gravity fill that stuff with as little tamping as possible and smoke very slowly to the point of the ember nearly going out.
Been working on this (steps one and two are the easy ones, lol, for me anyway) and as I've mentioned been cheating a little (still trying to figure out if the benefit is real or perceived) with some Nording chips, but did this yesterday with some pretty moist Cult BRM in the garage yesterday and it really does make a noticeable difference both in enjoying the bowl and what there is/how easy to dump out after.

Have a couple of blends showing up in the mail today that are traditionally pretty moist - so next up!

Big mail day - also have a large order of a variety of fall bulbs showing up - looking forward to spring, haha.

Reactions: HRPufnstuf

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have some 965 that might be this dry since I'm considering rehydrating it. Why do you like it this dry? I tried a bowl of it and it made me cough instantly
For me, I prefer the flavor, and ease of smoking. Moist tobacco gives me a terrible sour flavor, a gurgilly pipe, and a pipe that won't stay lit.

Yes, packing, cadence, etc I know. But For me, it's just so much easier this way.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
While visiting family out of town, and low on tobacco I packed with me...I stopped at a cigar store that had some Sutliff aro blends....one was marked Vanilla Royale, and the other Spiced Rum...the proprietor evidently bought it in bulk, weighed out 2 oz. portions and bagged it.

I knew it would be PG laden, but tried to dry them enough to smoke, which I thought I did: had two bowls and I'm sitting here this morn, with a raw tongue, roof of mouth, etc. I haved smoked pipes off and on for a long time, and there was some flavor, and the tobacco was packed loosely, and I did not freight train puff it, and the smoke did not feel hot...but yet my mouth is not happy!

Now it's wrapped loosely in tin foil, in a 300 degree oven, and I just opened the door to let air get to it and hopefully dry it more....I feel like I wasted my money. The only aros I get along with recently are RLP6, and Nutty Irishman. Pure light burleys with some added flavor, seem to fit the bill best. I have been smoking Stubb's Pipe and Deluxe crumb cut from Ernie Q, which are quite easy on my tongue and mouth and pleasant...just wish there was a tad more sweetness and a tad less nicotine.

The trouble I find when reading tobacco descriptions, is with the the term cavendish. Is it made from virginias or burleys?

So I just checked it again, and will try smoking some after my mouth recovers....it now is pliable, and does not clump, but it seems , it could go another round to get it drier ( will this help?), before the crumble apart stage....Will report back if this makes a difference.
Please, share your experiences, if similar, and methods to help this atrocity, plus, any other light burley based value blends with some added sweetness.

Much appreciated. Helpful feedback needed.
T
Can’t comment on the raw mouth situation but I find HU Makhuwa to be an excellent VA/Bur. With a touch of rich chocolate topping, it’s a little nutty, a little sweet and a lot satisfying. It’s also cheap as dirt from Esterval’s. I’m talking $20ish shipped to your door in The States for 100 grams of premium Burley based bliss.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
and as I've mentioned been cheating a little (still trying to figure out if the benefit is real or perceived) with some Nording chips, but did this yesterday with some pretty moist Cult BRM in the garage yesterday and it really does make a noticeable difference both in enjoying the bowl and what there is/how easy to dump out after.
I’m pleased you gave the Nording Keystones a go.
I find them very helpful, as I do the meerschaum chips. If anything, the mere chips are even more absorbent.
I think another reason why they work is they create a small airspace under the tobacco.

Happy puffing puffy

• Love
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

birdog

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
Upstate, South Carolina
Thanks all...your comments and recommendations are appreciated...yes, the tobacco is too wet and has to be dried, plus gravity filled lightly and puffed gently (from chasing embers)...makes a difference.

also, and equally a factor, I have to stay hydrated....I ran into a similar scenario, in July , after a week at the beach, with unpleasant effects from tobacco smoke...and currently, I have been following the bird dog 12 or so hours a week....when this happens, and I lose electrolytes...I get bit. Alkaline tobaccos, however, (pure burleys or burley forward) don't seem to bother me , even without supplementing with magnesium, drinking gatorade or electrolyte mixes. I need to stay aware that dehydration can creep up and cause unpleasantries.

so it is body chemistry in combination with the tobacco burn qualities, and smoking technique. I had a bowl in a cob in the last hour and no problems (my mouth still isn't healed though from last night!) I have remebered to up the hydration.....this conversation can be a reminder to anyone that might run into this.

birdog

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
Upstate, South Carolina
Yes, I talked to Jeremy on the phone in July, when I had an issue, after the vacation....after explaining to him, he recommended Old Joe Krantz Blue, and Nutty Irishman....the Nutty Irishman , I really like. Their Old Joe Series, use pretty untreated burley (even the Blue) , and I ended up toning it down with something lighter.
But, the PH discussion is definitely valid in my case....and the more alkaline the smoke the better for me....interestingly, it's different for others.
Which takes me back to the cavendish subject....do any of you know which flavored cavendishes, used in blends are made from burley, not virginia?

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Yes, I talked to Jeremy on the phone in July, when I had an issue, after the vacation....after explaining to him, he recommended Old Joe Krantz Blue, and Nutty Irishman....the Nutty Irishman , I really like. Their Old Joe Series, use pretty untreated burley (even the Blue) , and I ended up toning it down with something lighter.
But, the PH discussion is definitely valid in my case....and the more alkaline the smoke the better for me....interestingly, it's different for others.
Which takes me back to the cavendish subject....do any of you know which flavored cavendishes, used in blends are made from burley, not virginia?
After wondering the same thing & reading the article posted above by BenMN I feel a little more educated on the matter. Short answer: most American products use burley, most Europeans use Virginia. This isn’t a hard & fast rule but a decent generalization.