PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmg81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2019
Camp Humphreys, South Korea
This is an olive wood reverse calabash i bought from etsy about 2 yrs ago. About a yr ago, i noticed that crack in the shank and havent smoked the pipe since. Can I just smoke it?
Or should i attempt to repair it? Im thinking some kind of glue should fix this but im totally dumb to woodwork/shop . Also, I only have elmers and gorilla glue at home but am willing to buy whichever kind i need. TIA20201107_224409.jpg

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I Would repair it before smoking it further. The heat and moisture of smoking the pipe can expand the crack. The only fix I could think of is a metal ring. I don't know if glue would help, but if you will use glue; only use it on the outside of the shank.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I Would repair it before smoking it further. The heat and moisture of smoking the pipe can expand the crack. The only fix I could think of is a metal ring. I don't know if glue would help, but if you will use glue; only use it on the outside of the shank.
Might be able to use a bullet casing. The brass would look nice.

Reactions: chopper and jmg81

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As someone mentioned, olive wood isn't a long-lived pipe material, so you have the option of going ahead and smoking it, and if the process continues, just let it happen and when it becomes unsmokeable, just toss the pipe. You could try to band it. A pipe repair person could band it, but the cost would be more than the life of the pipe warrants. If it were mine, I'd just smoke it gently until it burns out.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
As someone mentioned, olive wood isn't a long-lived pipe material, so you have the option of going ahead and smoking it, and if the process continues, just let it happen and when it becomes unsmokeable, just toss the pipe. You could try to band it. A pipe repair person could band it, but the cost would be more than the life of the pipe warrants. If it were mine, I'd just smoke it gently until it burns out.
+1. I have an olive wood pipe by Roger Wallenstein which has numerous cracks in it, but it keeps on going. Smoke it until it says “Uncle!”

Status
Not open for further replies.