How do You Decide on New Pipe Purchases?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Wondering on how others decide on a new purchase. My state of Nebraska is a desert of b&m's, so I have to buy online.

Beside makes/artists, what boxes do like to check off before a buy?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I never buy a pipe unfondled and closely inspected. So, no mail order. A pipe must catch my eye when displayed, fit my fist and the fit and finish must be impeccable, an fills must be correctly done. I prefer a bit of silver but, that's not a rigid want. And, any pipe must be bent to some degree or another or it won't catch my eye. I never "shop" for a pipe, per se, when I visit a shop. I simply scan the display. If nothing catches my eye ,,, I move along to blends or accouterments. Last pipe purchased was on a trip to Ireland some years ago.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
^^^^ This.
And only this.puffy

I'm Catholic (nominally). I like them in all sizes and shapes (well, not really. But you know what I mean)

B&Ms are non-existent in Sydney, Oz
I don't see that as an obstacle
Only brought up the bm cause I have heard alot of folks say they won't buy unless in person

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Ideally it would be a great idea to examine before purchasing
But B&Ms have a limited choice compared to online stores

If concerned, only purchase online where there is a return policy
I have had to do that on a very few occasions only.
The vast majority of my purchases have been smooth sailing

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've gotten to the place where I resist pipe shopping to the degree possible, because I have a fairly large sufficiency of pipes. I have culled the herd about four or five times, to keep he numbers down. To date, I have not done commissions. I think about a third of my stable are artisan, artisan finished, or have artisanal features like a hand-cut stem. But I also have a distinct fondness for lower end pipes that are moderately or low priced, or on steep discount. Rigorous selection has made these turn out to be fine pipes.

When I go about buying a pipe, I like to shop widely without too much preconception. I only buy one pipe at a time, for focus. The process usually takes weeks or a few months. I develop a set of about five prospects, and narrow it down.

I have had some success at pipe shows and the local independent pipe shop, though at the pipe shop, I usually go back to buy a pipe after considering a group of them at the shop.

So I guess I am unusually deliberative. I enjoy that. I feel more committed and convinced when I finally make a purchase, and usually enjoy exactly those features I selected in shopping for it, and maybe some others.

I have a number of gift pipes that have almost all turned out well. If it wasn't love first sight, I grew to appreciate each of them. I don't think I have ever traded off a gift pipe or one I received as a prize.

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
Dunhill. I love the F/T bit and shell briar and ease in targeting sizes I want with group number and how they feel clenched in my mouth. My last purchase was a group 1 for tasting smokes at my local pipe club. Also generally easy to get your money back if you do decide to unload one. If I don't buy a Dunhill I do tend to look for similar criteria so bit shape, fairly lightweight, and sandblast or similar to shell briar has served me well. I have other pipes but when I'm buying these days I stick to this plan.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I bought 5 pipes this year. 1 was an estate Butz choquin calabash junior at a really good price because I wanted to try that shape and it look really good. 2 were 9mm filters because I wanted to smoke 9mm filters: a Vauen olaf bent egg (shape and filter 2 boxes checked) and a Barontini bent billiard 1/2 spigot 9mm (2 boxes there). 1 mm Mark Twain because everybody here was raving about cobs and I hadn't smoked one in many years; then I HAD to get a forever stem. 1 was a Savinelli Erica Fiamma 128 Billiard 6mm filter new old stock at 1/3 the price it sold for new back in the day - I caught that one 2 hours after it was listed on Ebay and thats why no one saw it.

So - shapes I want to try in sizes I like; innovations I want to try in sizes I like; deals I couldn't pass up (I'm never going to see this price again). But I am done buying pipes now unless something really unbelievable appears as I have more than enough for rotation but I occasionally look. Now I am looking at tobaccos. Pad to TAD. That seems to be how it works from comments I read.

1661995754562.jpeg

Last edited:

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Wondering on how others decide on a new purchase. My state of Nebraska is a desert of b&m's, so I have to buy online.

Beside makes/artists, what boxes do like to check off before a buy?
Now basically shape and if its a Gigi. I used to look at length and weight and other specs, but the gigis I like are heavier than I would have bought if I was looking for specs. So it took quite a few pipe brands and shapes before I landed on what works best for me. Half bent, small to medium bowl, gigi.