PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
If it's residue, the enzymes in saliva will often help remove the build up. It could be that your flame is actually charring the rim. Keeping the flame above the level pipe rim and drawing the flame to the tobacco will help reduce charring.
Saliva and a pipe cleaner work wonders. This was 2 or 3 years worth of gunk, that I'd always assumed was permanent, until I learned the spit shine technique. IMG_20220217_080521_198.jpg

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
It's also worth noting that if you're using butane, odds are high that what's darkening your rim is mostly butane residue and not charring. It definitely could be charring if you're being careless with the flame, but if you're taking the care to wipe the rim after each smoke, it doesn't sound like you're that careless.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
The spit method works well. The only pipe I own that I have to be super careful with is a raw briar. Spit isn't going to fix that one! But all my other clean up well with just a bit of care.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The only way to prevent rim darkening is to NEVER smoke your pipe. There are ways to reduce the amount of rim darkening by running a bit of spit over the rim just prior to lighting up, keepin the flame, which should be soft not hard, away from the wood, and by cleaning the rims with spit or cold coffee to remove tar build up. But some darkening is going to happen over time as a consequence of the wood being heated.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I distinctly remember a post on this subject by chasingembers, about 7 yrs ago. (?)
He said he used tissue and black coffee and elbow grease. Others attested.
I use a stick wrapped with hempwick that I light with a tamper and get directed flame.
I have some pipes that just seem to 'sweat' at the rim when they're smoked.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Like several posts above said.
Don't smoke it if you don't want discoloration.
You will be fine.

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
Lots of good info already posted. If you smoke your pipe the rim is probably going to show it. I will lick a finger and rub that on a smooth rim right before I light. Pretty sure that was already mentioned. I don’t know if it actually helps. Thankfully a damp paper towel will usually clean a rim up more than you’d expect.

Reactions: OSOBUCO and jpmcwjr