How do You Watch your Stories? Now With Recommendations!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
I've only come to realize this evening, well at least in a way that feels like being kicked in the nuts, that my life has become so formulaic. I still do and see interesting things, still find stuff exciting, travel, conversations enjoyable and whatever else you want to fill in but nearly most nights the same thing unfolds... I walk my dog, smoke some grouse and sess come home while the digital projector is firing up and plop down to watch something with my marquise.

This gets me to the highly anticipated question: How Do You Watch Your Stories? Because well, me, before I settle in I have to return to the kitchen to fetch the teas that have been steeping and well mine is particular as I don't like it too hot so I high pour it between two mugs like 6 times but also go to the trouble of cooling off each mug between pours with cold tap water. Then, I bring that to the sofa with some sort of cake, cookie, something sweet, sometimes just a decent granola with kefir and some cardamon seeds on top, a little light dark sugar and sometimes something like carob chips. Ok so... then after I finish my tea and crumpets and such, I go to the kitchen to pop in a snus. Maybe sometime later I try to get something like a decent cheese to eat. Most days, their is only a decent parmesan. Often, I'll sprinkle some kind of special herb I grew and dried on it like my personal favorite, lovage. After I consumer that I need to rinse my mouth with water before another snus is inserted (no- I am not "plugging" them!) where it will stay until my "spouse" goes to sleep.

Anyhoo, I probably only watch the last half of whatever not stirring around or eating. I'm curious to hear if anyone here does something similar or not for that matter.

edit: I forgot that I also like to put on a fresh pair of socks at some point

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I usually watch something on one of my 32 inch computer screens will doing my work on the other. Lots of installed memory and a great video card make it no problem. I'm not obsessive-compulsive so I just take my day as it comes, eat when I'm hungry, sleep when I'm tired and work when there is work to be done. I keep my routine a non-routine.

Frog Snacks

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2023
I watch things on my laptop or from my laptop sent to my 42" so called smart TV through the Kodi app with some kind of thing my son put on it that gives me all the TV shows and movies I could ever imagine, I also use a VPN of course because I don't think it's on the up and up, I'm currently on the last couple episodes of the Pirate series from Stars network Black Sails and I enjoyed it a lot.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I clicked on the thread because the title was so confusing I wanted to see WTF the OP was talking about.

Reading the first few posts only made it worse.

Then it hit me that a "story" was an never-ending-drama TV show, like "Dallas" or "General Hospital".

Yes? No?

Which now causes me to wonder if maybe this is entirely a joke thread. Because I can't imagine watching that sort of shit, and never believed anyone, anywhere, actually did.

Never mind men. rotf

(Hell, I always figured it was part of some government-run mass hypnosis project to sell kitchen supplies to housewives when I was growing up, but had disappeared entirely since then because pushing phone buttons is less work than cooking something.)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Last 9 months or so, I got into watching K-drama. If I find something interesting. Usually on my spare cell phone I'm not using. Not sure why, but watching it on cell phone seems to make it more fun. But recently I rarely watch them. To be an addict of any kind, you have to be diligent. I'm lazy for most part. And TV doesn't really interest me much. Reading and listening are more of my stuff.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I clicked on the thread because the title was so confusing I wanted to see WTF the OP was talking about.

Reading the first few posts only made it worse.

Then it hit me that a "story" was an never-ending-drama TV show, like "Dallas" or "General Hospital".

Yes? No?

Which now causes me to wonder if maybe this is entirely a joke thread. Because I can't imagine watching that sort of shit, and never believed anyone, anywhere, actually did.

Never mind men. rotf

(Hell, I always figured it was part of some government-run mass hypnosis project to sell kitchen supplies to housewives when I was growing up, but had disappeared entirely since then because pushing phone buttons is less work than cooking something.)
George, it's 2023...there are only two entertainment choices: superhero movies and soap operas.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I've only come to realize this evening, well at least in a way that feels like being kicked in the nuts, that my life has become so formulaic. I still do and see interesting things, still find stuff exciting, travel, conversations enjoyable and whatever else you want to fill in but nearly most nights the same thing unfolds... I walk my dog, smoke some grouse and sess come home while the digital projector is firing up and plop down to watch something with my marquise.

This gets me to the highly anticipated question: How Do You Watch Your Stories? Because well, me, before I settle in I have to return to the kitchen to fetch the teas that have been steeping and well mine is particular as I don't like it too hot so I high pour it between two mugs like 6 times but also go to the trouble of cooling off each mug between pours with cold tap water. Then, I bring that to the sofa with some sort of cake, cookie, something sweet, sometimes just a decent granola with kefir and some cardamon seeds on top, a little light dark sugar and sometimes something like carob chips. Ok so... then after I finish my tea and crumpets and such, I go to the kitchen to pop in a snus. Maybe sometime later I try to get something like a decent cheese to eat. Most days, their is only a decent parmesan. Often, I'll sprinkle some kind of special herb I grew and dried on it like my personal favorite, lovage. After I consumer that I need to rinse my mouth with water before another snus is inserted (no- I am not "plugging" them!) where it will stay until my "spouse" goes to sleep.

Anyhoo, I probably only watch the last half of whatever not stirring around or eating. I'm curious to hear if anyone here does something similar or not for that matter.

edit: I forgot that I also like to put on a fresh pair of socks at some point
I’ve never been able to conclude whether you are the sanest man on the planet, or have horrifically crippling psychological damage.
Keep up the good work!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My TV does sports most of the time, but the political news in the US is so bad, I have to watch.... And a junkie for coverage of the invasion of Ukraine.
I specified "entertainment". I suppose you could classify sports in that category, so I'll give you that as a third option.

As for the propaganda and misinformation referred to as "news" on TV and the despicable talking heads who regurgitate it and try to pass themselves off as "journalists", I personally would categorize it as cruel torture and can barely stand to even listen to the short clips of it I'm subjected to at times on certain podcasts or web sites. It's so hideously bad it defies description. But to each his own.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
My girlfriend loves a handful of shows that more than outstay their welcome - Grey's Anatomy, Gilmore Girls, and Seinfeld are her recurring picks, and in fairness I won't turn down an episode or two Seinfeld myself.

I just read or play videogames when she's in the mood to watch those shows (I recently picked up this nifty thing called a Steam Deck, which is like a game boy but made specifically for computer games, meaning I can play all my favorite pc games on the couch or in bed, which I've been enjoying quite a bit). I don't really tend to pay attention to the shows beyond it being background noise, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't miss our quiet evenings doing our own respective mindless activities together.

I'm much more of a film guy than a TV guy, and have a reasonably decent setup (not one of those home theatre guys, but I've got a 75" tv and some decent edifier speakers) - when it's movie night, I'm big on having a big pitcher of ice water and some buttery, seasoned popcorn on hand. Blankets, girlfriend, and low light are a must! I've been doing the trifecta of movies, ice water, and popcorn for nearly 40 years now, and I love it just as much as I did at the start. Maybe even more now.

Jan 27, 2020
Blankets, girlfriend, and low light are a must! I've been doing the trifecta of movies, ice water, and popcorn for nearly 40 years now, and I love it just as much as I did at the start. Maybe even more now.

Their a comfort in these sort of ritual and can add meaning to our lives outside of just being entertained. Unless that is you are re-watching things like Superbad and The Hangover III.

• Haha
Reactions: David D. Davidson
Status
Not open for further replies.