PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
Just broke my Savinelli Spring Canadian. It dropped about 5 feet from my jacket pocket. The stem broke off in the shank. I had a filter in there. I had no idea pipes were this fragile. I have dropped my pipes on my wooden floor numerous times lol. I really have to be careful from here on in. I didn't think pipes were this fragile.
Thank God it wasn't my Dunhill or Castello lol.

Last edited:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Compared to what? Meerschaums can be the pipe worlds equivalent of a fragmentation grenade. Some briars can take the most amazing abuse. In my experience it is the shank that tends to be the point of failure as well as longer amber stems seem to have a propensity to explode and shatter on impact.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Depends on the pipe as well. Some are (by design) far more fragile than others.
View attachment 116743
Been there done than on the very first day i owned a Becker 4 club dublin. Fell out my hand getting out of the car and hit the driveway. Had it repaired with a silver band but it is so far up the shank that it looks awful and i have never smoked it again. an expensive lesson. It happens.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Been there done than on the very first day i owned a Becker 4 club dublin. Fell out my hand getting out of the car and hit the driveway. Had it repaired with a silver band but it is so far up the shank that it looks awful and i have never smoked it again. an expensive lesson. It happens.
Yes, it was an expensive lesson! I keep mine around as a Memento Mori. It can very easily be fixed as the break is clean with no missing pieces, but much like you, it will never be the same to me. In this configuration it is far more useful to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've dropped pipes a number of times, but never broken one. I had a handsome no-name "made in London" straight billiard that developed a crack in the shank, that I gave away as a piece of decor. For a comparison, I'd say that pipes are about as fragile as everyday tableware, subject to breakage, but not prone to it. A throw carpet beneath the area where you handle your pipes most might help soften the landing and save a pipe or two over time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just broke my Savinelli Spring Canadian. It dropped about 5 feet from my jacket pocket. The stem broke off in the shank. I had a filter in there. I had no idea pipes were this fragile.
They are not fragile in my opinion, even though I've broken 6-8 over the last 55 years.

You are also lucky in that it broke in the way most favorable to a good and simple repair.
I have dropped my pipes on my wooden floor numerous times lol. I really have to be careful from here on in. I didn't think pipes were this fragile.
They aren't! As mentioned, angle of impact, surface and velocity all play a role in the extent of damage, if any.

Reactions: paulfg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You, know, a snapped tenon is not difficult if your really good it. Talk to a top flight repairman (not just a refurbisher) and ask him.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A couple of my meers have survived, intact, drops onto various surfaces. Briars the same. Survival depends on several factors, the angle of the impact, the surface it impacts on, the pipe's construction and internal integrity (it is a natural material with a variety of internal structures.), speed at impact and etc. So, I doubt one can generalize as to the strength of individual pipes and their ability to survive, intact, a drop.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Just broke my Savinelli Spring Canadian. It dropped about 5 feet from my jacket pocket. The stem broke off in the shank. I had a filter in there. I had no idea pipes were this fragile. I have dropped my pipes on my wooden floor numerous times lol. I really have to be careful from here on in. I didn't think pipes were this fragile.
Thank God it wasn't my Dunhill or Castello lol.
I'm sorry for your accident. There was obviously no Spring in the pipe. I'd return it for false advertising.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto

why are you people dropping pipes? I've only dropped on out of a pocket once. O.k. a few more times but always caught it before it hit the ground. Seriously though you have to be more careful if you keep dropping them.
Just Clumsy. I drop stuff all the time or it goes flying out of my pockets or I knock it over. I just spilt my tea lol.