PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

djwebb1969

Lurker
Jun 20, 2023
England
Hi, I bought my first pipe and had trouble getting it to stay lit. I watched a Youtube video about packing in three stages and using the breathe method and it worked better, but this is my second go, and after a few minutes the entire bowl is spent. This is a Molina starter pipe kit. I emptied the bowl out, and it is mainly ash. And yet some things I've read on the Internet say the bowl should last 45 minutes?

And: I've got one of those lighters where the flame comes out horizontally, which is good for getting the flame into the bowl. What depth of flame is required? E.g. if it's a one inch flame, should you just torch the very top later of tobacco, or try to put the lighter right on the tobacco so the one inch flame goes right down into all the tobacco? Thanks.

Reactions: yanoJL

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
A bowl in my Peterson 05 can last me 30 mins up to 1.25 hours. Burleys and shag cuts burn fastest, flakes seem to last forever.

Reactions: Cap

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not enough information to say what's going on. A lot of things can happen to burn through a bowlful of tobacco quickly. Was it burning hot? Well you smoking fast? How is it packed and how much tobacco? I really need to have a pipe.

Reactions: JOHN72

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
After 30 plus years of pipe smoking I learned the following.

Given a particular pipe and a measure of a specific tobacco taking a weight reading before and after filling and that weight is 4 grams, a moisture content of 22% as taken on my wood moisture meter, an outdoor temperature of 20C with a relative humidity of 47% and zero wind speed that will last me 45 mins plus or minus 10 mins given a rate of smoking of 1 standard draw puff defined as .05 CFM per 30 second interval.

This was meant to be a hyperbolic example of only some of the variables present in pipe smoking. The only way to know how long a pipe bowl lasts is to smoke it and know. If you want to take all the fun out of it then use the scientific method. Perhaps though some would find that fun as well.

Oh and always breathe the flame into the tobacco by drawing in air continously and not stopping when you bring the flame to the tobacco, and then remove the flame, and stop the draw. You won't burn your pipe. Never touch flame to tobacco without the draw present.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Sounds like you just torched the tobacco. Just get it lit and then it will go out "charring light". After that just hold the flame above the tobacco and gentle pull it down to relight. Puff slowly. You will have to relight many times, that is just fine. Relights get fewer as you learn, but I still have to relight multiple times for every bowl.

Slow down and enjoy the smoke, and ponder life.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
As you can see, there is no hard and fast answer to your question as to how long a bowl should last, since many factors go into the equation--the size of the tobacco chamber, the type, cut and moisture content of the tobacco, the extent to which the tobacco is packed, how deeply and how often you draw, and the manner in which the tobacco is lit. Weather conditions such as wind can also be a factor.

Also by not torching the tobacco (as well as keeping the tobacco entirely inside the tobacco chamber), you will avoid charring the rim.

Reactions: OzPiper

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
There is really no set length of time. The Amphora you're smoking is a broken flake so it would likely last me longer than a ribbon or shag cut. In regards to lighting it you want to gently kiss the flame to the top of the tobacco and slowly draw. Move the flame away and back again so you're not torching the shit out of your bowl. It might take a few go rounds to get it going but you'll know once you do. What you don't want to do it hold the flame too close to your tobacco and draw like a mad man because you'll torch the poor leaf and it won't taste too great.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Just pack the pipe so that it’s not too tight and not too loose, leaving a little more air towards the bottom of the bowl, so that the draw is restrictive but not tight. Matches are good when starting, light the tobacco with a match and gently draw in air letting the flame kiss the tobacco, while drawing in the occasional deeper puff to get the tobacco lit. As the first light quickly burns out, let it go out then tamp and relight, drawing more determinately this time the half burnt top layer should begin a nice even burn across the circumference of the bowl. Tamp sparingly, dry the tobacco, don’t over or under fill the bowl. It takes more practice than it would seem but keep it up and it’ll be second nature. Good luck. 💨💨

Reactions: djwebb1969