PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Okay guys, tongue bite is killing me. I have tried everything. I love pipe smoking though and I don't want to quit. My question is, I got this pipe wondering if any of you know of this pipe and can tell me how long a full bowl should take to smoke? Trying to figure out if I'm smoking to fast. I've tried sipping, Biotine, practicing good packing, good lighting/prelights, drying tobaccos, different brands. To make things a bit complicated I did catch Covid for the second time recently at the same time I was struggling with tongue bite. I'm not 100% sure this isn't a weird left over symptom from Covid and not me anymore. Anyways, heres the pipe, how long should a full bowl take to smoke. I've timed myself at 40 minutes with 3 relights. Any more advice would help. It is the Emerald Missouri pipe.IMG_20221129_221651080.jpg

Reactions: chopper and FLDRD

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Take a break. Heal up the tongue fully.

Name for us the blends you're smoking.
Sutliff is most of what I have. I know they are wrt I dry them now. I also have match alternative blends from C&D that are getting to me too. All the matches are; Barking Dog, Early Morning Pipe, Night Cap. Been smoking only those now after drying. Tried, microwaving, and leaving them out 30 mins, 1 hour, 2 hours, and all day.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
40 minutes with reasonably dry, ribbon cut tobacco would be pretty good for that pipe I think. If the bowl isn't getting too hot, I doubt that you're smoking too fast. Perhaps the tongue bite is a chemical reaction, not burn. Try changing to a different blend type. Take off a few days and let your tongue heal fully. Then start slow and work your way back.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Random additional thoughts:

Careful with the wind. Mind what you're drinking. Consider if relative humidity wherever you are is not drying the tobacco.

Are you getting generally the same sensation from both the Sutliff and the C&D tobaccos? Is there a difference between aromatic and non-aromatic tobacco when it comes to tongue bite?

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Random additional thoughts:

Careful with the wind. Mind what you're drinking. Consider if relative humidity wherever you are is not drying the tobacco.

Are you getting generally the same sensation from both the Sutliff and the C&D tobaccos? Is there a difference between aromatic and non-aromatic tobacco when it comes to tongue bite?
No difference. Everytime I feel a little better and smoke anything I'm back to burnt. I even drink milk now and I smoke inside so no wind.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Let your tongue heal fully before your next smoke.

If you take a large pinch of tobacco and it feels dry and does not stick together (falls apart readily after letting go), its dry enough

If the bowl feels more than comfortably warm, slow down or set down and allow to cool for a few minutes.

I find that aromatics tend to give me a tingling on the tip of my tongue esp on lighting up.
It's been years since I've experienced tongue bite once I've learnt to let my tobacco dry and sipping rather than puffing.

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
Then it's probably technique or related to your recent illness.

It sounds like you've been trying all the right things but might have to be extra careful for a bit as you heal up.

If I were you, once my mouth felt good for a few days, I'd pack a loose pipe of something non-aromatic that I haven't been burned by, take it easy with the mid-smoke tamping and let it go out more.

If that doesn't work maybe you're allergic to corn ;)

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Then it's probably technique or related to your recent illness.

It sounds like you've been trying all the right things but might have to be extra careful for a bit as you heal up.

If I were you, once my mouth felt good for a few days, I'd pack a loose pipe of something non-aromatic that I haven't been burned by, take it easy with the mid-smoke tamping and let it go out more.

If that doesn't work maybe you're allergic to corn ;)
lol Thanks! Okay I'll try that. How long do you think sever tongue bite will take to heal? I want to go back to it as soon as possible.

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
It probably depends upon your age.

Drink a lot of water and try to get wrapped up in something else. Maybe spend a few days on another hobby or on some Christmas shopping or in a big argument with your significant other. Before you know it, you'll be puffing away.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
It probably depends upon your age.

Drink a lot of water and try to get wrapped up in something else. Maybe spend a few days on another hobby or on some Christmas shopping or in a big argument with your significant other. Before you know it, you'll be puffing away.
Gotcha 😂 👍 will do lol my other hobby is pissing my wife off watching sports.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
My question is, I got this pipe wondering if any of you know of this pipe and can tell me how long a full bowl should take to smoke? Trying to figure out if I'm smoking to fast. View attachment 184188

It’s all a Personal Preference, there is no wrong or right way, if it works for you.

But, since this appears to not be working for you...

Always dry you tobacco, crispy, or a slight crisp to the touch, so experiment with drying. To moist can bite...

Take small sips, and sip slowly when smoking. Also no need to torch it up in flames when lighting, just burn it as much as takes to get a few sips going. A lot of flame going with a huge glowing ember can make for a hot/biting smoke.

Don’t worry if it goes out and you need to relight. I personally only take a few sips, let it go out, and light again whenever I feel like it.

So, to answer your question, any pipe lasts as long as you want it.

I could smoke that pipe all day. :)

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
It’s all a Personal Preference, there is no wrong or right way, if it works for you.

But, since this appears to not be working for you...

Always dry you tobacco, crispy, or a slight crisp to the touch, so experiment with drying. To moist can bite...

Take small sips, and sip slowly when smoking. Also no need to torch it up in flames when lighting, just burn it as much as takes to get a few sips going. A lot of flame going with a huge glowing ember can make for a hot/biting smoke.

Don’t worry if it goes out and you need to relight. I personally only take a few sips, let it go out, and light again whenever I feel like it.

So, to answer your question, any pipe lasts as long as you want it.

I could smoke that pipe all day. :)
I love that answer lol thanks!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Something else, pipes to me are not cigarettes, where you puff a pipe down quick the same and get your nicotine fix.

Pipes to me, are a way of life, to sit back, be leisurely and enjoy.

Any pipe I smoke, is typically 4-6 hrs, just a sip here and there. If you pack it right, you can take a few small sips every few minutes and make pipes last hours, especially well crafted pipes, that just seem to squeeze every little bit out, and really make a pipe last.

My mouth also gets worn out with constant smoking, and to me, it’s like constant eating, it’s get tiring and sickening.

Like, haven’t we all eaten so much at one point in our life, that another bite is just awful? So when I smoke, it’s a turtle pace bloody slow sipping, so the taste doesn’t get old in my mouth, and it’s enjoyable to the end. :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There's no one answer you your question, because different blends burn at different rates. This can be a matter of different cuts, processing, toppings, etc. C&D Yorktown can burn at a fairly rapid pace. On the other hand I once had a small piece of vintage Edgeworth flake, about the size of a Pez, that I was happily sipping on for 90 minutes and still hadn't finished it. The guys sitting at the table around me were pretty amused at that.

Give your mouth a chance to heal up, then go slow. Eventually you'll find a combination that works for you.