PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Talon

Might Stick Around
Nov 7, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Hello!

I don't see myself cracking this big jar of Carter Hall for probably a few years. My question to you all would be should I switch this one out to a couple mason jars or do you think it will be fine in its original jar ?

20230529_181611.jpg

Talon

Might Stick Around
Nov 7, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Why not? It'll be exactly the same in ten years that it is now.
Do you know why that is? I'm mainly asking because about 5 months ago I cracked a tin of Peterson EMP and had a couple bowls and threw it in the back of my cabinet and then I went to smoke it and it was literally as dry as sawdust. Perhaps the seal on the tin wasn't that great? Is it just the properties and composition of Carter Hall that makes it resistant to drying or is it the tin design they have?

Reactions: Maynard58

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do you know why that is? I'm mainly asking because about 5 months ago I cracked a tin of Peterson EMP and had a couple bowls and threw it in the back of my cabinet and then I went to smoke it and it was literally as dry as sawdust. Perhaps the seal on the tin wasn't that great? Is it just the properties and composition of Carter Hall that makes it resistant to drying or is it the tin design they have?
PG content keeps it from drying out and its mostly burley content keeps it from changing much with age.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Ya know how you can leave some McDonalds food out at room temperature for years and it won’t rot and bugs won’t eat it?

Reactions: Reggie

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Just to clarify, the seal on your tin of EMP was not really a seal anymore once you popped it. Any small metal tin you pop, you might want to transfer contents to a mason jar if you are not planning on smoking through it.

But that plastic tub is a different storage scenario, so it will keep a seal better even if it is popped.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have several tins of Dunhill and Peterson tobacco that have been open 2-4 years.
No problem with the humidity of the contents.
Normally stored in a wooden box in a cupboard.

Just twist the lids on tightly when closing the tins

Sydney, Oz generally has high humidity levels almost all year round unless it’s a scorching summer’s day