PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ok, I've had a good reply to my request, and am relieved I was way offline - two whole weeks! When the two major ones surfaced.

I take locking threads somewhat seriously, but seldom hesitate to do so. I reopened a thread that was polluted by obstreperous posts, almost all by one former member.

If there is a thread or two locked in error, please let me know in a PM, giving the link to it. No one will have points deducted for arguing with a mod, etc. This offer is good till December 27th.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
When a member posts a picture of Wallis Simpson, and that's how Americans get into the Royal Family, and another member states she and her husband supported _itler during WWII may get it locked, The H was left out for a reason, YMMV.

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Often threads, that are more social than pipe hobby related, can quickly develop into personal attacks between members. That's when the lock function gets activated. Once it becomes personal, it's over. Many times, based on the title alone, I'll know if a thread is in for a short life span. Other times, they escalate out of the blue. The winter months can get pretty adversarial. We attribute it to cabin fever.

Carry on, respectfully!

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Often threads, that are more social than pipe hobby related, can quickly develop into personal attacks between members. That's when the lock function gets activated. Once it becomes personal, it's over. Many times, based on the title alone, I'll know if a thread is in for a short life span. Other times, they escalate out of the blue. The winter months can get pretty adversarial. We attribute it to cabin fever.

Carry on, respectfully!
I agree, Idle keyboard is the devils workshop.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Carry on, respectfully!
I won't say which thread, but recently I found myself thinking "man the holidays sure stress some folks out".

Reactions: Winnipeger

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
one of our illustrious and venerated mods, in their wisdom or prudence or what-have-you, sees fit to shut down the discussion, just when, in the eyes of some, it may finally about to start becoming interesting.
"Interesting is in the eye of the beholder. Not everyone who joined to discuss the benefits of cellaring is equally enamored of a digression into dwarf tossing.