PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I've bought quite a few NOS antique pipes; most have a stinger/condenser.
Stingers are a good idea in theory but I don't find them at all practical.

Over time many of them have become firmly stuck in the tenon of the stem.

Trying to remove them with brute force runs the risk of cracking the stem, especially those made from horn.

I'm thinking that the safest way would be to soak them in something to loosen it's grip; like mineral oil for example.

Before I make a mess of things I figured it would be wiser to ask more experienced minds for a solution.

Any ideas on how to loosen a stuck stinger?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Is it a horn stem or vulcanite? What make of pipe? I've loosened vulcanite stem/stingers by a good long soak in alcohol. The other question is push fit or screw fit (always safest to assume the latter).

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Is it a horn stem or vulcanite? What make of pipe? I've loosened vulcanite stem/stingers by a good long soak in alcohol. The other question is push fit or screw fit (always safest to assume the latter).
It's a 1960's French Skippy Prince Bruyere Garantie with an ebonite stem.

It didn't even occur to me that it could be a "screw fit".
Yesterday I posted it as a gift to an online friend in the UK so I can't check [Should have asked before posting .... doh!]

I've a few different 1960 Skippy Bulldogs so I'll check those out. [I'd presume that those from the same era would all be either one or the other]

If it turns out that they're a 'push fit', is it safe to soak an ebonite stem in alcohol?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
If it turns out that they're a 'push fit', is it safe to soak an ebonite stem in alcohol?

Yes. Like I said, assume it's a screw fit and turn it counter clockwise as you're trying to remove it. A push fit stinger I once removed with the iso alcohol soak, and my low tech version of a strap wrench.

biltstinger 002.JPG

biltresto 011.JPG

:)

Reactions: chopper

Pipe Daddy

Might Stick Around
Oct 16, 2019
If you want to keep the finish, try baking it in the oven at 200 degrees F for about 8 to ten minutes. Put it on a cookie sheet which you line with spinach leaves, tomato leaves, or any edible leaves to protect it. Then twist it counter clockwise.
If you aren't that worried about the finish, lightly boil it for a few minutes, then twist it.
Either way, when you get it out, cut the stinger off with a hacksaw and smooth the stem with a file.

• Wow

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
If you want to keep the finish, try baking it in the oven at 200 degrees F for about 8 to ten minutes. Put it on a cookie sheet which you line with spinach leaves, tomato leaves, or any edible leaves to protect it. Then twist it counter clockwise.
If you aren't that worried about the finish, lightly boil it for a few minutes, then twist it.
Either way, when you get it out, cut the stinger off with a hacksaw and smooth the stem with a file.
Thanks for the reply but cutting off the stinger would be an absolute last resort. The pipe in question is a 60yo NOS. The new owner would like to keep it in original condition.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Have a small Grabow that when I inspected it after the mailman dropped it off, turned out to have the stinger stuck in the shank. It was shoved in there to the point where nothing I could reach down the mortise could get ahold of anything solid enough to drag it back out by.

Thinking that if I'm ever passing by the drawer this pipe is sitting in with a set of allen wrenches in my hand, that I might try using one that'll fit to push the stinger out from the chamber-end.

The stummel is a really pretty piece of wood.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When doing all this, you don't want to apply much torque. That's what will break the stummel or stem. Use touch more like you are picking a lock. Finesse is the thing. Sometimes, once you figure out how it is put together, it comes apart without breakage.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
When doing all this, you don't want to apply much torque. That's what will break the stummel or stem. Use touch more like you are picking a lock. Finesse is the thing. Sometimes, once you figure out how it is put together, it comes apart without breakage.
Exactly. That's why I was thinking to soak in something first.
Since it's NOS around 60yo, I think it's just become stuck with age.

I'll advise to give @dmcmtk advise a try [Maybe after trying @BROBS suggestion?]
Patience will definitely be required. I'd hate to hear that it was damaged [A very cool paneled Skippy Prince with really nice grain] especially since the recipient wishes to keep it original.
It's going to a heavy cigarette smoker who has just switched to pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.