PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Audargent

Lurker
Apr 6, 2024
Malta
Hi,

I have recently started smoking pipes. I had almost never touched tobacco before (very occasional cigarette apart).

I am smoking a Savinelli 644KS Titus, Sillem's Blue tovacco, with a 9mm Balsa filters.

I notice that after the initial charring light and second light, and subsequent few puffs, as the pipe gets comfortably warm to the hand, the "cigarette" tasting smoke changes to a much nicer 'lime / minty' flavour which I really appreciate.

I am trying to practice my cadence to try to keep this taste.

However if the pipe goes out, and I re-light, I never get to achieve that taste again, which stays similar to the first light "cigarette" taste. This taste is less pleasant to me and makes me a bit queasy.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Reactions: Medy and Scottmi

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Welcome from the Birthplace of Texas.

I cannot really offer advice in terms of maintaining a certain taste but the ignition source may be playing a role; especially if you are using matches or a Zippo type lighter, rather than a butane lighter which is quite neutral.

In terms of keeping your pipe lit, the problem is almost always packing the tobacco too tightly and/or the tobacco being too damp. The solution to the first is obvious and the second can be easily remedied by allowing it to sit out in the open air for 15-30 minutes before loading the pipe with it.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Low and slow. Just like good smokehouse. Smoke is from incomplete burning. You want that. More air makes a complete burn. You don't want that. Keep the temps low by withholding too much air by smoking slowly. Breathe with the pipe. If you can't slow the pace don't make a good seal with the lips. Draw some air from outside the pipe and you get less air through the pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Allow your tobacco to dry for 15-20 minutes, pack it lightly, and smoke slower. Relights will happen early on until you get a rhythm but keeping the smoke cooler will give more flavor.

If you feel uncomfortable revealing your location, it's entirely optional.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Flavour is always worst on lighting/relighting because of the higher temperature Of the burning tobacco.
Once it cools, the flavour improves significantly.
If the pipe gets too hot, stop puffing for a couple of minutes until it cools sufficiently.

Sit the pipe down for a few minutes first to allow it to cool somewhat before relights.
Before relighting, if there is a lot of ash on top, I gently tip out the excess.
Not really necessary, but that’s what I do.

Hope all the above hints result in better smokes puffy

Audargent

Lurker
Apr 6, 2024
Malta
Thank you all for the advice. Much appreciated. Would different chamber shapes allow for a different performance? Any I should look into?

I'm still learning to properly pack. If I pack too loosely, the smoking won't last long. If I pack tightly there might be a difficulty with keeping it on.

In terms of technique, would just holding the pipe in my mouth, with sealed lips and breathing only through my nose help?

Also, as some have asked, I am indeed using a Zippo Pipe Lighter.

Reactions: Medy and FLDRD

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Packing comes down to experience
There are times when I still get it wrong - too rushed, tobacco not dried sufficiently, over filling the bowl, etc

I mainly smoke with pipe in hand.
If the pipe feels hot, it tells me I’m puffing too hard, and to slow down.

Some advocate using the “breath technique” - whatever that is.
Do what works for you.
Eventually it becomes second nature.

Reactions: Medy and bpinkstaff

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I think its worth saying that some tobacco is easier to smoke than others. And don't taste bad if you get it wrong.

try st bruno

Reactions: Medy

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
First off as said, dry your tobacco. Most are too wet from the package.

Some good advice I got here was to pack light and when you tamp only tamp inward from the edges to keep feeding the fire. tamp somewhat often (not constantly).

Tobacco on the bottom is a filter for all that is buring above. Its going to taste different. That is just a fact of life.

Since its an aromatic you smoke Im going to say again, dry your tobacco. Dry it until its dry to the touch and doesnt stick together. Most aros are soaking wet. Take enough to smoke a couple of three times and dry some more than the other. See what works best.

Do quick relights. Dont singe the heck out of it or it will taste bitter firing up all those tars that were filtered.

If you have access try other blends. There is a world of tobacco to explore if you can get your hands on it.

Reactions: Medy

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
I had issues with relights. Try a different packing technique. I started with the 3 pinch method and had a lot of relights. Then I tried the rolling technique and I may have to relight once a bowl now. See if that helps.

Reactions: kcghost

bpinkstaff

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
Packing comes down to experience
There are times when I still get it wrong - too rushed, tobacco not dried sufficiently, over filling the bowl, etc

I mainly smoke with pipe in hand.
If the pipe feels hot, it tells me I’m puffing too hard, and to slow down.

Some advocate using the “breath technique” - whatever that is.
Do what works for you.
Eventually it becomes second nature.
Great advise!

Reactions: OzPiper and Medy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sounds like you may be torching the tobacco on relights. Hold the flame further away, and draw the tip near the tobacco, not touching it. This holds for initial light and relights. (I don't do charring lights)

Also, no technique is needed to load the pipe if the tobacco is at the right moisture level. Simply don't over compress the load.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm fairly certain that for the longest time, I was attempting to relight when it truly wasn't "dead".
It was just providing less voluminous and noticeable smoke, and I was using that as more of a gauge then I should have been - because I wasn't in touch with the subtle stream of smoke that is the goal.

Leaving the pipe in my mouth more, learning how to control the air flow/pressure with breathing techniques, covering the chamber to restoke a low ember, and leaving aromatics behind - all helped me at that time to overcome what I think is a similar issue.

So again, I was trying to relight a chamber that instead needed different attention. Perhaps you too.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
It's really worth to take your time for the initial lighting. First false light, then true light, preferably with a match.
I enjoy taking my five minutes in the morning to carefully light the bowl, preparing it for several smokes during the day. After that you can relight as many times as needed with a quick touch of a lighter flame without any special attention.

If it won't burn loose it with a poker and try again.

It's completely normal, often even necessary to dry pipe tobacco before packing a bowl and to relight it many times during your smoking intervals.