PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

grand wazoo

Lurker
Jul 25, 2023
Western N.Y.
Some advise on finish repair. Recently got some Clean and Cure in contact with the finish of my Sav Bing and ate away at it. Can this be repaired by hand without a buffing set up. Can a buffing compound bring back the shine or are there other options without resorting to refinishing?

Reactions: kcghost

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
This just happened to me. I got some vodka that I was cleaning a bowl on the outside of a Savinelli Tundra Canadian 802 and it took the shellac coating off in places. I ended up scrubbing it all with the same, dulling the surface and then rubbing it all down with the maroon scotch brite pads that I think are equivalent to about 600 grit sandpaper until it was a lighter brown and no shine. I then applied some Tried and True Varnish Oil that I have used for crafting a replica flintlock rifle stock. It is made of linseed oil and natural resins from pines. Purely non-toxic and no petroleum distillates. You can eat it or cook french fries it in if you really wanted to....I have one coat on now and it looks so amazing that I may purposely remove the finish and treat it this way for all my smooth Savinellis. I still don't know why pipe makers use dyes and toxic stains on pipes and then try to coat them with shellac or similar. This looks way better. A true hand rubbed oil stain. After 3 coats, I will finish with a final coat of the Tried and True original, which does contain beeswax and that will offer a final coat of slight shine and water protection. This will need to be re-applied every few years unless I just let the pipe patina. As of yesterday, I thought my pipe was ruined, but it is now improved!

Last edited:
Reactions: grand wazoo

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
It looks nice. I’ve restored a few pipes that were stained dark bit needed sanding. They looked so much nicer with a natural finish. I guess some folks are into dark. I like to see the wood rather than to cover it up. I would probably wax that pipe but it also looks nice as is.

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
It looks nice. I’ve restored a few pipes that were stained dark bit needed sanding. They looked so much nicer with a natural finish. I guess some folks are into dark. I like to see the wood rather than to cover it up. I would probably wax that pipe but it also looks nice as is.
It needs two more coats and then wax to finish. With the natural oil and resin varnish, the key is very thin coats, rubbed in to dry and then I usually wait several days between coats, vs. the suggested 24 hours. Just like a good pipe, slow and steady is the key. Sunlight or UV significantly speeds the curing process. Any tips on wax without a mechanical buffer?

Last edited:

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
B9233129-0038-424E-8813-730783CD4B0C.jpeg
Second coat for context. The Tried and True Oil Varnish will have a bit more sheen with the 2nd and 3rd coats, which can be left alone or buffed back to more of a flat finish with of course more shine once the top coat of wax is applied.