PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
There’s a page somewhere on the site that explains the tiers for shipping by region. It may be once you start to process your order. I’ve always just expected somewhere between 50 and 70 USD for shipping, and just order enough that the per tin or per weight savings is validated. It’s limited me to a couple of orders per year, but when these sales pop up, it doesn’t take much rationalizing to make the case for placing a large order of tobaccos that are either great prices or difficult to obtain domestically.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Regarding shipping cost -
For now it looks like DHL is the only option for us, and I'm fine with that.
My order last week totaled $162 plus $50.39 for shipping.

This week I placed another order for twice as many tins, totaling $221.50 and the shipping cost increased to only $55.04.

Seems the base line is high, but the increase isn't too extreme.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Regarding shipping cost -
For now it looks like DHL is the only option for us, and I'm fine with that.
My order last week totaled $162 plus $50.39 for shipping.

This week I placed another order for twice as many tins, totaling $221.50 and the shipping cost increased to only $55.04.

Seems the base line is high, but the increase isn't too extreme.
With Estervals, my experience has always been to buy more to optimize shipping costs. Or rather, to better amortize shipping costs. It's expensive to place a $100 order.

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
With Estervals, my experience has always been to buy more to optimize shipping costs. Or rather, to better amortize shipping costs. It's expensive to place a $100 order.
This has been my experience as well. I play with the quantity and have it sit just below the next shipping tier. My shipping was $59 on a $255 order. Not bad for a little over 4.5# of blends not sold stateside. Thanks everyone for the heads up!

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
My orders lately have been my first experience dealing with Estervals. In the past I'd just order HU blends directly from Hans.
There were definitely levels of shipping cost based on weight in those cases.

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
Shipping is worth it also for those of us in states with the dreaded excise tax. Im happy to pay the shipper vs being raped by my state.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
In the past 30 plus years I've designed several successful web sites. I always went for search engine optimization, user friendliness and, above all, simplicity. Looking at Esterval's site I would suggest they fire their web guy and hire someone who knows what the hell he's doing. puffy
Yes. It’s awful.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Having placed two Estervals orders lately, I can muster but one single negative issue with the whole thing. It's not even a problem really, so much as an inconvenience stemming from our modern expectations.
Their "processing" time is 2-3 business days - that is, once your order is placed it takes 2-3 days for them to get it picked, packed, and shipped.

In the internet age we are accustomed to packages being in the hands of the courier in 1 business day after being ordered. In many cases, it's even the same day if the order is placed before a certain time.

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
Having placed two Estervals orders lately, I can muster but one single negative issue with the whole thing. It's not even a problem really, so much as an inconvenience stemming from our modern expectations.
Their "processing" time is 2-3 business days - that is, once your order is placed it takes 2-3 days for them to get it picked, packed, and shipped.

In the internet age we are accustomed to packages being in the hands of the courier in 1 business day after being ordered. In many cases, it's even the same day if the order is placed before a certain time.

It must be a fluke or maybe your location. I just placed an order last night and already have the notification of shipped with tracking number as of 7am this morning.
I'm in Ohio.
I have an expected date of Tuesday but in my past experience it usually arrives a day earlier than they say it will.
I am always pleasantly surprised how quickly the orders get to me.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
In the past 30 plus years I've designed several successful web sites. I always went for search engine optimization, user friendliness and, above all, simplicity. Looking at Esterval's site I would suggest they fire their web guy and hire someone who knows what the hell he's doing. puffy
Lol it is crumby

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
It must be a fluke or maybe your location. I just placed an order last night and already have the notification of shipped with tracking number as of 7am this morning.
I'm in Ohio.
I have an expected date of Tuesday but in my past experience it usually arrives a day earlier than they say it will.
I am always pleasantly surprised how quickly the orders get to me.
I live in Louisville. My last order was placed on Sunday evening. Processed Monday morning but didn't ship out until weneaday

Reactions: Ebarber

Leomania

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2023
Tokyo, Japan
I just received my package from Estervals. It took roughly 3 weeks from Germany to Japan with regular DHL. All of these blends are new to me besides Capstan Blue.

The contents:

1 x Makhuwa (100g)
1 x Ascanian No.2 (50g)
1 x Janneman Flake (100g)
4 x Capstan Flake (50g)
1 x Director’s Cut (100g)
1 x Louisiana Broken Flake (100g)
1 x Dockworker (50g)
1 x Tillerman (50g)
1 x Haymaker (50g)
1 x Hamborger Veermaster (50g)
1 x Kriswill Flake - Navy cut (50g)