PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Why a Tasco World Class—

1. It’s a 30/06. Standard deer rifle since the thirties. Every scope made is tested with a 30-06. The recoil is not severe.

2. Walmart gives you another one or your money back if they break, and they don’t break.

3. It’s a sight. You see deer, shoot deer. I’ve used my World Class scopes for thirty years and they work. It’s not a target scope, although it could be.

The Vortex is a good scope and my kids love theirs.

But for a once a year $350 30-06 deer rifle the World Class is more than adequate.
Optics aren’t Algerian briar.
Son in law got the for Christmas Savage Axis XP Black .30-06 22-inch 4Rds with Scope - https://grabagun.com/savage-axis-30-06-gen2-syn-22-pkg.html
scope reticle crapped out after 8 rounds. Any suggestions for a good reasonably priced scope to replace?
Where do you shoot/hunt?
If 300yds is long distance for you, the majority of posted advice is spot on.

For me- as long as optics are clear, the adjustments match the sub tension of the reticle, scope is FFP or fixed, passes a box test and has no cant, is repeatable/reliable, has illuminated reticle and fully coated lenses, it’s ok in my applications.
My Axis runs a Nikon FX 4-16FFP, and is a solid deer gun to 700yds, and plays (steel or coyotes) to 1000yd frequently.
My 110 280ai is for bigger game to 700, but pays to 1200, it runs a US Optics (from when they were in Brea, CA) 3.2-17

With shooting, as with much in life, the biggest criteria follows “define the job then pic the tool”.

Also, everything an made will break so support is good. Optics are just that though, if the glass isn’t good a cheap scope is a waste of money. Try other folks gear if you can, see if you could spot a deer bedded in the shade, because shooting to the south at a shaded target on a sunny but hazy day will separate crap from quality glass very quickly.

Reactions: Daddypants

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
If you wear eyeglasses they aren’t nitrogen filled.

The best scopes are nitrogen filled.

Otherwise an optical glass machine in China is spitting out exactly the same lenses for $50 scopes as $500 scopes.

If you need a gun sight, buy a Tasco.

Othwise pay for bragging rights to high dollar glass.

Reactions: Piping Abe

Wet Dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2023
Littleton, CO
So far the OP has been absent and didn't tell us what he needs the scope for. Assuming it's hunting (30-06 after all), is he hunting in the woods with a line of sight of perhaps 50 or 100 yards maximum, or is he in Arizona shooting goats at 400 or 500 yards? Also, how much does he want to spend? I would say to first set his budget (that's what my wife makes me do), then get the best optic that fits his needs within that budget.

Lee, I have to disagree with you on pricy optics. Clarity and image quality (and other things, like eye box and eye relief, specially in variable optics) in general improve as the price increases. That may not be important in short distances, but it may be the difference between taking an ethical shot or not in challenging light conditions (for example when the animal is shady or bushy areas). Or may allow to better reading of the wind... If good enough, you may even see the trajectory of the bullet traveling down the field (although those are typically target scopes, not hunting ones), but that may be a topic for a different conversation.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
So far the OP has been absent and didn't tell us what he needs the scope for. Assuming it's hunting (30-06 after all), is he hunting in the woods with a line of sight of perhaps 50 or 100 yards maximum, or is he in Arizona shooting goats at 400 or 500 yards? Also, how much does he want to spend? I would say to first set his budget (that's what my wife makes me do), then get the best optic that fits his needs within that budget.

Lee, I have to disagree with you on pricy optics. Clarity and image quality (and other things, like eye box and eye relief, specially in variable optics) in general improve as the price increases. That may not be important in short distances, but it may be the difference between taking an ethical shot or not in challenging light conditions (for example when the animal is shady or bushy areas). Or may allow to better reading of the wind... If good enough, you may even see the trajectory of the bullet traveling down the field (although those are typically target scopes, not hunting ones), but that may be a topic for a different conversation.

Yes, a nicer scope is wonderful, and worth the money.

But in my safe there’s a 20 year old Savage left hand 30-06 110 with a World Class scope. If I take that rifle to the range tomorrow it’s going to ring the 400 yard gong every shot, holding on top of it, and it’s not been sighted in for 15 years, we quit.

The World Class was the first mass market premium Japanese scope, one that actually equalled a Leopold or Redfield or Burris.

There isn’t but about one way to make a modern variable 3x9 40mm scope, when you think about it.

Tasco multi coats all the optics the machines spit out.

They may have more machines thaf assemble the parts.

Then each one is tested for leaks, and shipped.

And since Walmart sells those Tasco has to stand a deduction for every one returned to Walmart.

It’s likely the largest selling scope on earth.

There are better scopes, plenty of better scopes, but no $50 scope on earth comes close.

Reactions: Bengel

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Yes, a nicer scope is wonderful, and worth the money.

But in my safe there’s a 20 year old Savage left hand 30-06 110 with a World Class scope. If I take that rifle to the range tomorrow it’s going to ring the 400 yard gong every shot, holding on top of it, and it’s not been sighted in for 15 years, we quit.

The World Class was the first mass market premium Japanese scope, one that actually equalled a Leopold or Redfield or Burris.

There isn’t but about one way to make a modern variable 3x9 40mm scope, when you think about it.

Tasco multi coats all the optics the machines spit out.

They may have more machines thaf assemble the parts.

Then each one is tested for leaks, and shipped.

And since Walmart sells those Tasco has to stand a deduction for every one returned to Walmart.

It’s likely the largest selling scope on earth.

There are better scopes, plenty of better scopes, but no $50 scope on earth comes close.
The older Tasco’s made in Japan were solid, and popular when I was shooting silhouette. Options would narrow in Hunter class where there were stricter weight limitations, I ran old Weavers but many ran Tasco’s.
The old Japanese Tasco 10X Super Sniper was the original reliable budget practical/tactical setup, quickly supplanted by the Bushnell 3100.
But it has been a long while since LOW in Japan made any Tasco’s, they started being made I China and Japanese made one’s were scarce on the used market 15yrs ago.

Like pipes, price does not always guarantee performance. For this shooter there are features that are a must for me (as I put in my first post), and there’s budget glass that fits the bill.
However, some states have great hunting, but low numbers of animals. A quality deer hunt here is a draw by lottery that hunter may have to try for years to attain a tag for, and hunts like that become investments where little as possible is left to chance.
If I had the luxury of picking up a doe tag for meat deer across corn fields, and 300yds was about the farthest shot I’d have the chance of taking I’d grab my 308 with a good old Nikon Buckmaster.
Western hunting gets a little different.
OP’s latest post tells he’s leaning towards Vortex, which can be a solid choice.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The older Tasco’s made in Japan were solid, and popular when I was shooting silhouette. Options would narrow in Hunter class where there were stricter weight limitations, I ran old Weavers but many ran Tasco’s.
The old Japanese Tasco 10X Super Sniper was the original reliable budget practical/tactical setup, quickly supplanted by the Bushnell 3100.
But it has been a long while since LOW in Japan made any Tasco’s, they started being made I China and Japanese made one’s were scarce on the used market 15yrs ago.

Like pipes, price does not always guarantee performance. For this shooter there are features that are a must for me (as I put in my first post), and there’s budget glass that fits the bill.
However, some states have great hunting, but low numbers of animals. A quality deer hunt here is a draw by lottery that hunter may have to try for years to attain a tag for, and hunts like that become investments where little as possible is left to chance.
If I had the luxury of picking up a doe tag for meat deer across corn fields, and 300yds was about the farthest shot I’d have the chance of taking I’d grab my 308 with a good old Nikon Buckmaster.
OP’s latest post tells he’s leaning towards Vortex, which can be a solid choice.

Nobody ever sat down on a stump ten years after they bought a Vortex and cried about it.:)

I have a 2x7 Redfield Widefield on my 1982 Ruger No 1 30-06, and a 3x9 Widefield on my 1973 Belgium made BLR .308. Newer scopes have more eye relief and gadgets to adjust parallax but those Redfields are still clear, and don’t move from year to year.

Belgians could not checker worth a damn on production guns, short of a Superposed. But they could put a final finish on blued steel that’s not been equaled.

My World Class scopes, all made in the Philippines, will shoot a four inch square all around a sight in target at 100 yards by turning eight clicks right, sixteen clicks down, sixteen clicks left, sixteen clicks up, and then rezero two inches high by turning eight clicks right. Damnedest thing you’ll ever see. They’ll do it every time.

In a thousand years there’s not going to be any better medium powered rifle than a Savage 110 (or Axis whatever series) and no better scope than a 3x9 40mm.

There’s really not been anything better since the Model 70 Winchester and a Redfield Widefield. They make prettier, though.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
When I used to hunt with a rifle (now use bow or spear) I just used iron sights. They have always been easier for me than a scope.

My Ruger No 1 and BLR both have excellent iron sights.

If I stayed in the timber those are better.

I have a revolver with a Tasco World Class scope and I don’t like it much.

Scopes are useful for game over 150 yards away for bullet placement.

Reactions: El Capitán

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
My Ruger No 1 and BLR both have excellent iron sights.

If I stayed in the timber those are better.

I have a revolver with a Tasco World Class scope and I don’t like it much.

Scopes are useful for game over 150 yards away for bullet placement.
I just never could get the hang of scopes with the clicks and things like that. My dad is great with them but he was in the Cuban military. Anything 150 yards away I just let go.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I just never could get the hang of scopes with the clicks and things like that. My dad is great with them but he was in the Cuban military. Anything 150 yards away I just let go.

Last deer season my son and I saw several deer at about 300 yards.

He whispered lets find a rest.

I cranked my Redfield up to 7 power and shot the biggest one. POW!

He said there’s no way you hit that deer.

I said he’s not healthy, go check.

About then my house renter on the other side of the creek shot and finished him.

I can hit deer further away than I have any business shooting at them.

Reactions: El Capitán

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
You may be right, as a guy that was a sponsored precision rifle shooter for one of those overpriced optics companies I’m probably way off base chiming in on this topic.
Y’all enjoy…

Reactions: Briar Lee

alexishector

Lurker
Dec 23, 2023
Optics aren’t Algerian briar.

Where do you shoot/hunt?
If 300yds is long distance for you, the majority of posted advice is spot on.

For me- as long as optics are clear, the adjustments match the sub tension of the reticle, scope is FFP or fixed, passes a box test and has no cant, is repeatable/reliable, has illuminated reticle and fully coated lenses, it’s ok in my applications.
My Axis runs a Nikon FX 4-16FFP, and is a solid deer gun to 700yds, and plays (steel or coyotes) to 1000yd frequently.
My 110 280ai is for bigger game to 700, but pays to 1200, it runs a US Optics (from when they were in Brea, CA) 3.2-17

With shooting, as with much in life, the biggest criteria follows “define the job then pic the tool”.

Also, everything an made will break so support is good. Optics are just that though, if the glass isn’t good a cheap scope is a waste of money. Try other folks gear if you can nachtkijker, see if you could spot a deer bedded in the shade, because shooting to the south at a shaded target on a sunny but hazy day will separate crap from quality glass very quickly.
I am looking to pick up a new scope for my new 30-06. The only issue is every store seems to have better selections in the "long range bench rest scopes" than the basic hunting scopes. I just want to find a good scope, sub 500 dollars, and good low range magnification, 2-7 or 8, 2.5-10, or 3-9 max. I currently have a nikon p5 2.5-10 on my .308 which is a good scope for the money, and I would like something deecent for my 30-06 as well. Anyone got any recomendations? Bushnell prime? Vortex diamondback or viper? Leupold freedom? Thanks!

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
Another fan of Vortex here. Best value of scope out there. I've had some good Primary Arms scopes also but not on a bolt gun. I've had higher end scopes before also but I think Vortex or Primary Arms are the best values out there, with the Vortex being the better of the two.

One area that gets over looked is mounts. I have had cheap mounts and scope rings that weren't worth a dang before. Make sure you get a high quality mount or scope rings. Makes a greater difference than most people think.

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas

What years did you shoot in the hunter class? My dad used to shoot that class back in the 70s (possibly even the late 60s - not sure on that though as I wasn't around then).

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I am looking to pick up a new scope for my new 30-06. The only issue is every store seems to have better selections in the "long range bench rest scopes" than the basic hunting scopes. I just want to find a good scope, sub 500 dollars, and good low range magnification, 2-7 or 8, 2.5-10, or 3-9 max. I currently have a nikon p5 2.5-10 on my .308 which is a good scope for the money, and I would like something deecent for my 30-06 as well. Anyone got any recomendations? Bushnell prime? Vortex diamondback or viper? Leupold freedom? Thanks!

After fifty years of buying scopes, rifles, and enjoying shooting them, I’ve decided there are hunting rifles, benchrest rifles, and varmit rifles and a hunting rifle should have a low power scope.

Vortex sells a 3x9 40mm scope for $140 from Focus Camera (a very trustworthy camera shop I’ve had extensive dealings with).

But if I bought one for a 30-06 I’d recommend the 2x7 32mm. You can easily crank a scope up to 7 power if you see a deer way out yonder, but when a deer jumps out close there’s no time to open one up to 2 power.

It’s nitrogen filled and even comes with rings and mounts, and a lifetime guarantee, and a free Vortex hat so your buddies will know you have a Vortex.:)

IMG_7274.jpeg

If you’d like a better Vortex bring more money.

When I started a fixed six power scope was the standard Western long range scope for a .270 or 30-06 and they cost more then than $130 for a Leopold or Redfield. I bought a used fixed 4x Redfield Widefield for $100 and then spent $40 more for new mounts and rings, for my first good scope. On a clear day I could spot my bullets on paper at 100 yards with it.

I put $140 1981 dollars in an inflation calculator and the result was $475. I put it on a $300 brand new M700 BDL that would be $1,000 in today’s money.

There’s not been much improvement in how well a scope works since the seventies. But there’s been a drastic reduction in the inflation adjusted prices of good scopes.

Another change is a factory 30-06 hunting rifle with really good iron sights is uncommon today. I kept mine on back then in case my scope failed.

I sold my 700 with the scope on it a few years ago for more than I paid for it, which is almost always a bad idea.

I’ve spent the money and lost my nice 700 and the crystal clear 4x Redfield scope. Now I’m completely out.:)

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have a 2-7 Nikon Prostaff on my 30-06.
I prefer a low power scope. It's quicker to target.

In an ideal world we’d have a 1x14 power scope but I suppose it’s not practical.

I have a 1.5x6 steel Weaver on my Marlin 1895 45-70. That’s about as open as a scope gets.

In the last forty years or so there’s been a trend to higher power scopes.

For a varmit rifle where you know, the only shots will be at prairie dogs way out there, high magnification is a good thing.

But even there, about 14 power is where mirage starts limiting extra magnifation.

And then let’s admit all the power a scope has is shooter limited.

I can see deer sometimes 440 yards away across a big field.

6 or 7 power is plenty to aim with.

But I’m not Elmer Kieth.

I can’t hit one in the vitals consistently that far.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
What years did you shoot in the hunter class? My dad used to shoot that class back in the 70s (possibly even the late 60s - not sure on that though as I wasn't around then).
Mid to late 2000’s. Shot nra service rifle early 200’s, and was shooting silhouette (standard and hunter in both rimfire and high power), when we started doing PRS in the late 2000’s before there was a PRS😉