PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Title corrected for capitals. Rule 9.

I've purchased over a dozen pipes since I started smoking pipes back on December 11th.

It wasn't until my last two pipes that I learned what I love the most.

P-lip, and peterson system pipes. Half to full bent! So much so that ove been rotating my standard system 303 and 307 almost exclusively (with my bent savinelli when I want them to rest.

Sadly I was limited to the pipes my local shop carried, and the selection of peterson systems were very limited.

I bit the bullet and ventured online and from the states I bought a deluxe system 307 with black sand blasting. After learning what I love I had this exact pipe in my minds eye for about a month. Super excited!

It has a P-lip but it's also a vulcanite stem.

I have a peterson 999 aran that has a vulcanite stem. It was my second pipe and upon purchasing I knew nothing of oxidizing etc.

I read about maintaining it but couldn't source black obsidian oil anywhere locally and wasn't sure if I could use any vehicle carnuba wax (or synthetic wax? Lasts months longer than carnuba) or If it needs to be a pipe specific wax.

So I've been trying two things.

1.) I have a wax that was given to me when I bought a leather skin for my galaxy fold 4 cell phone. It's 95% bees wax and 5% coco butter. Its meant to re-hydrate the leather cell phone skin.

Is this okay? I wasn't sure about the coco butter part, so I started using my Burts bees chapstick. Honestly it seems to work. After every smoke I dry off the stem and lather it with chapstick.

Now I maybe lucky with a very good stem that rarely oxidizes anyhow, so I really want to do things right with my new pipe when it arrives.

How can I source obsidian oil? And is this simply for shine?

Can I use any car wax (synthetic possibly over carnuba as it lasts longer), or do I need a pipe specific carnuba wax?

Or can I continue using my Burts bees chapstick, or will the 95% bees wax for leather hydration work better?

If it's a pipe specific carnuba wax that is best, where can I source that? Are there other oils that bring out the shine?

Thanks for everyone's help. I want this pipe to stay pristine as I'll be smoking it lots!

Last edited by a moderator:

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
No car wax. No chemicals. Only food grade components. I make a wax for myself with these components and it works great. MCT oil which is edible clear liquid coconut oil alone is perfect instead of obsidian oil. T1 yellow carnauba is fine but only use up to 8 percent by weight of the entire batch. I use about 3 to 4 and it's perfect. You would need to use other waxes like rice bran, ozokerite, microcrystalline candelilla or beeswax for oil holding ability and use the MCT oil to get a nice balm. Carnauba will not shine without the use of beeswax or candelilla. That combination is very nice. I've used it and it perfect. About 5 to 7 percent beeswax in a 40 percent base of rice bran or combination of ozokerite and microcrystalline 1 to 1. All available on Internet.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've purchased over a dozen pipes since I started smoking pipes back on December 11th.
3 pipes / month! That's quite a pace you've got there for a newby.

I can resonate with you finding exactly what you like though. It took me longer but I arrived at a similar location. And I also bought 5X the pipes you did before discovering what's exactly "my thing". But now I'm accumulating my perfect pipes.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
It’s great when you find a good pipe for sure. I’m loving my Rattray Joy Meerschaum lined. Held off on it because of a lot of negative posts concerning them. Got to say, glad I pulled the trigger. It is pressed meerschaum, but I haven’t tasted any chemical adhesive what nots many were talking about. Just a fantastic smoke. I was looking for a 9mm meer, but they were all way out of my price range. This pipe is a beaut!

P. S. Many swear by straight beeswax, others have also recommended original chapstick in addition to mineral oil or obsidian.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Obsidian oil after every smoke should keep the oxidation at bay for quite awhile. It sounds like you rotate pipes which helps as well. I know others prefer to use their own oil concoctions but I have purchased one bottle of obsidian oil in the past 4 years and it's barely halfway gone. A little goes a long way.

Reactions: Sacred_summit

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Obsidian oil after every smoke should keep the oxidation at bay for quite awhile. It sounds like you rotate pipes which helps as well. I know others prefer to use their own oil concoctions but I have purchased one bottle of obsidian oil in the past 4 years and it's barely halfway gone. A little goes a long way.
Mineral oil is just as good for my purposes. Not necessary to apply it after every smoke in my experience. It helps keep oxidation at bay and covers light oxidation.

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Thanks guys!

Mineral oil should be easy to get a hold of up here.

How does it compare to coconut oil?

Would I apply my bees wax first, then apply the mineral oil / coconut oil and then wipe it off afterwards?

Reactions: kcghost

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks guys!

Mineral oil should be easy to get a hold of up here.

How does it compare to coconut oil?

Would I apply my bees wax first, then apply the mineral oil / coconut oil and then wipe it off afterwards?
I don't use any vegetable oils which can go rancid.

I simply apply a very thin coat of oil, wiping of excess if any.

Happy smokes!

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
When used on the stummel, is it safe with the finishes / dyes?
I haven't experienced any issues. But I've also learned that a tiny bit goes a looooong way, and by "a little" I mean I'll put a drop on my finger and that will treat several stems. Then I'll use the tiny bit of oil film left on my hands to rub the stummels. Let it sit for a minute and wipe off with a soft cloth. So far it's been great stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bassman65

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Hey guys, so I bought food grade mineral oil. Cheap from amazon!

Just wanted to clarify something.

After a smoke, should I apply my Burts bees chapstick (bees wax) and then add mineral oil and wipe it all off? Or simply use mineral oil. Can you leave the mineral oil or do you wipe it off after?

*** forgot, big question ***

Do you need to maintain the inside of the stem? If so, how do you protect the inside of the stem from oxidizing???

Thanks everyone.

So stoked to get this pipe!

I'll be smoking it lots... lol

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hey guys, so I bought food grade mineral oil. Cheap from amazon!

Just wanted to clarify something.

After a smoke, should I apply my Burts bees chapstick (bees wax) and then add mineral oil and wipe it all off? Or simply use mineral oil. Can you leave the mineral oil or do you wipe it off after?
I don't use chapstick on my pipes. A small cloth with a bit of mineral oil goes a long way. It gets a very thin coat, then done.
*** forgot, big question ***

Do you need to maintain the inside of the stem? If so, how do you protect the inside of the stem from oxidizing???
I do nothing except a pipe cleaner when needed.

Reactions: scloyd

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Edit.

I found butcher block conditioner so I'm returning my mineral oil.

Mineral oil, bees wax and carnuba wax all food grade.

All problems solved, nice and simple now!

Thank you to everyone who helped me!

If only I could light a fire under canada posts arse so they'd deliver my package faster 😅