PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Congrats on finding the first of what is likely to be several dream pipe purchases. My prediction is, one day you'll see a pipe that looks absolutely nothing like a Peterson 307, and you'll feel like it's a dream pipe. You'll most likely repeat this process ad infinitum. Maybe not though. Time will tell.

Reactions: Sacred_summit

Durhamshire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2024
UK
So pleased You have found 'The One'. I have a good few pipes I love to pieces, some I have paid a bit for. But to be honest I am still looking for the perfect pipe. I know I should be happy with what I have

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
No car wax. No chemicals. Only food grade components. I make a wax for myself with these components and it works great. MCT oil which is edible clear liquid coconut oil alone is perfect instead of obsidian oil. T1 yellow carnauba is fine but only use up to 8 percent by weight of the entire batch. I use about 3 to 4 and it's perfect. You would need to use other waxes like rice bran, ozokerite, microcrystalline candelilla or beeswax for oil holding ability and use the MCT oil to get a nice balm. Carnauba will not shine without the use of beeswax or candelilla. That combination is very nice. I've used it and it perfect. About 5 to 7 percent beeswax in a 40 percent base of rice bran or combination of ozokerite and microcrystalline 1 to 1. All available on Internet.
I've used Renaissance Wood Wax and Polish , and Savinelli Briar polish with good outcomes. Experiment on an old pipe you're not too fussed about and see what works, but lots of advice here to be trying out!

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK

Worth noting the method described here by @sablebrush52 for Renaissance or Paragon wax is the best way to get a glossy shine!
I've used Renaissance Wood Wax and Polish , and Savinelli Briar polish with good outcomes. Experiment on an old pipe you're not too fussed about and see what works, but lots of advice here to be trying out!

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Got the pipe today!

It's huge.... way bigger than my standard 307, I wasn't expecting that lol... it will be an awesome sit and think pipe, but for clenching and walking the dog etc I'll be looking for a smaller deluxe system peterson.

I had no ides the deluxe systems were so much bigger.

The vulcanite stem is very nice though, at first I thought it was acrylic. Using the butchers block conditioner for it. It's a mix of mineral oil, bees wax and carnuba wax. Food grade!

Attachments

• 20240415_161207.jpg
    20240415_161207.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 15

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
Title corrected for capitals. Rule 9.

I've purchased over a dozen pipes since I started smoking pipes back on December 11th.

It wasn't until my last two pipes that I learned what I love the most.

P-lip, and peterson system pipes. Half to full bent! So much so that ove been rotating my standard system 303 and 307 almost exclusively (with my bent savinelli when I want them to rest.

Sadly I was limited to the pipes my local shop carried, and the selection of peterson systems were very limited.

I bit the bullet and ventured online and from the states I bought a deluxe system 307 with black sand blasting. After learning what I love I had this exact pipe in my minds eye for about a month. Super excited!

It has a P-lip but it's also a vulcanite stem.

I have a peterson 999 aran that has a vulcanite stem. It was my second pipe and upon purchasing I knew nothing of oxidizing etc.

I read about maintaining it but couldn't source black obsidian oil anywhere locally and wasn't sure if I could use any vehicle carnuba wax (or synthetic wax? Lasts months longer than carnuba) or If it needs to be a pipe specific wax.

So I've been trying two things.

1.) I have a wax that was given to me when I bought a leather skin for my galaxy fold 4 cell phone. It's 95% bees wax and 5% coco butter. Its meant to re-hydrate the leather cell phone skin.

Is this okay? I wasn't sure about the coco butter part, so I started using my Burts bees chapstick. Honestly it seems to work. After every smoke I dry off the stem and lather it with chapstick.

Now I maybe lucky with a very good stem that rarely oxidizes anyhow, so I really want to do things right with my new pipe when it arrives.

How can I source obsidian oil? And is this simply for shine?

Can I use any car wax (synthetic possibly over carnuba as it lasts longer), or do I need a pipe specific carnuba wax?

Or can I continue using my Burts bees chapstick, or will the 95% bees wax for leather hydration work better?

If it's a pipe specific carnuba wax that is best, where can I source that? Are there other oils that bring out the shine?

Thanks for everyone's help. I want this pipe to stay pristine as I'll be smoking it lots!
You can get obsidian oil at smoking pipes .com

They also sell Brebbia stem polish which is very good at removing light oxidation

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Thanks everyone!

I found a perfect solution for being in canada and shared it in another thread.

My next thing is figuring out what kind of shape to purchase another deluxe system peterson. I had no idea they were so much larger than standard system pipes, although I love my pipe! I'd like a lighter deluxe system for clenching and going about my business.

Looks like I'm not done yet!

Reactions: FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Thanks everyone!

I found a perfect solution for being in canada and shared it in another thread.

My next thing is figuring out what kind of shape to purchase another deluxe system peterson. I had no idea they were so much larger than standard system pipes, although I love my pipe! I'd like a lighter deluxe system for clenching and going about my business.

Looks like I'm not done yet!
My all-around favorite is Peterson's 314 in the standard system for "clenching and going about my business", and I have 1/2 dozen or so of them.

If you like the deluxe system, the same size / shape is their 20 s model.

Reactions: Sacred_summit

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
My all-around favorite is Peterson's 314 in the standard system for "clenching and going about my business", and I have 1/2 dozen or so of them.

If you like the deluxe system, the same size / shape is their 20 s model.
Thank you! The 20's, 9's, 12.5's was confusing.
I have a standard system 304 that I love. I'll look at the 20's for the deluxe system for sure!

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
I just realized that the pipe I bought was a PSB sandblasted. I was wondering why it cost more than others.
Well, I just bought a new pipe! I ordered a 20's just like you suggested. It's also PSB. Super excited!

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I just realized that the pipe I bought was a PSB sandblasted. I was wondering why it cost more than others.
Well, I just bought a new pipe! I ordered a 20's just like you suggested. It's also PSB. Super excited!
You should show them in the "Show off your Petersons here", thread when they arrive.

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
I am starting to fall inlove with my 314. I'm liking how small it is, and I'm finding I'm forced to smoke extra slow and cool to develop a nice carbon coat on such a small pipe.

So I just ordered the 314 in a Spigot😆.

I believe my 312's arrive today, excited to try them!

Attachments

• 20240426_055828.jpg
    20240426_055828.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 5

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I am starting to fall inlove with my 314. I'm liking how small it is, and I'm finding I'm forced to smoke extra slow and cool to develop a nice carbon coat on such a small pipe.

So I just ordered the 314 in a Spigot😆.

I believe my 312's arrive today, excited to try them!
Wow those are both gorgeous.

Reactions: RPK

RPK

Might Stick Around
Dec 30, 2023
Clarksburg, NJ
I have a System 314 and a System Silver Spigot 303 both of which I like very much also.

Now, my 12oz bottle of Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner arrived today from Amazon at a cost to me of $8.56.
I used it on a few of my pipes and like it as much as Obsidian Oil.

On SP Obsidian Oil is $9.40 for 18ml. Do the math 12oz of Obsidian would cost $185.31.

Reactions: AroEnglish