PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
DF tobacco is a puzzle to me. I've only smoked a handful of blends that contain it, but they all have wildly different flavor profiles. Old Dark Fired, for example, strikes me as having a deep, smokey molasses flavor. Solani 660 is more plummy/figgy; it smokes almost like a VaPer (to me). The dark fired in Doblone-d'Oro is somewhat reminiscent of latakia. Perhaps the only common element I detect is the spice it invariably brings to a blend. Otherwise, it strikes me as a mysterious leaf.

Perhaps my palate isn't capable of detecting whatever common flavors DF tobacco presumably has. Or, perhaps DF tobacco acclimates to other varietals and yields a flavor that is unique to each blend.

Do others experience this leaf the way I do?

Reactions: dunnyboy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree, its flavor profile is somewhat elusive. My main reaction is that it is a much needed expansion of the tobacco condiment shelf. Latakia and Perique have been so overused as default condiments, their special characteristics have been eclipsed. So far, I take dark fired as a base note that gives blends a rich undertone, but I don't say, ah, there's the dark fired, at least not yet.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
I agree, its flavor profile is somewhat elusive. My main reaction is that it is a much needed expansion of the tobacco condiment shelf. Latakia and Perique have been so overused as default condiments, their special characteristics have been eclipsed. So far, I take dark fired as a base note that gives blends a rich undertone, but I don't say, ah, there's the dark fired, at least not yet.
Sir, do I detect some academic experience in you? As a former Chemistry professor, I find your use of language impeccable.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Every blender does things different. I notice differences between all the different blenders with tobaccos that have a seemingly identical content and flavor profile. Everyone’s spaghetti sauce tastes different even though they have the same basic ingredients.
It's amazing how much the difference in the taste of one product to another can be so vast when practically the only difference is a small tweak here or there.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
When I read that a blend contains DFK I assume it will add a light latakia flavor. But when I think about it, that is not my experience or what I like about it. The blends I like that contain DFK, e.g. Solani 660 and St Bruno, don't have a smoky flavor at all. In those blends, it seems to bring out the sweetness of the virginia.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Getting latakia and dark fired mixed up isn't as strange, as they both add a smokey chewy tang to tobacco and they are both in a certain way the same processed, difference is the leaf that's processed. I to have a hard time figuring Dark Fired out: while in ODF it knocks me on my ass, in ABF I only get the smokey bit of mesquite connotation of it. I can smoke multiple bowls of ABF where 1 flake of ODF gets me satisfied for the whole day.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
another thing is I don't think all dark fired is the same. This is speculative. There might be one type of wood used and only one type. But from my experience I swear I taste different wood smokes in different blends. And just like any type of food or epicurean product (something to be consumed in part for the sensual delight of it) little difference make all the difference. And I doubt all farms and all crops would get smoked as much
An that's another thing that all leaf is a living thing and will change from year to year or farm to farm even if genetically identical there will be differences. That's doubled by the wood used to smoke it.

Mar 1, 2014
DF tobacco is a puzzle to me. I've only smoked a handful of blends that contain it, but they all have wildly different flavor profiles. Old Dark Fired, for example, strikes me as having a deep, smokey molasses flavor. Solani 660 is more plummy/figgy; it smokes almost like a VaPer (to me). The dark fired in Doblone-d'Oro is somewhat reminiscent of latakia. Perhaps the only common element I detect is the spice it invariably brings to a blend. Otherwise, it strikes me as a mysterious leaf.

Perhaps my palate isn't capable of detecting whatever common flavors DF tobacco presumably has. Or, perhaps DF tobacco acclimates to other varietals and yields a flavor that is unique to each blend.

Do others experience this leaf the way I do?
I've found dark fired leaf can be quite variable, on one hand Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Kentucky and MacBaren Old Dark Fired can almost seem as sweet as smokey, but Sutliff TS-12 is more of a subtle smoke and not much else.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
ODF is uncut wood, ketchup sweet, brighter than most DFK blends.
Heinrich’s dark strong Kentucky is molasses sweet, and I find it neither “dark” or very strong.
Lakeland Dark and HH Bold Kentucky are strong, spicy and more smokey BBQ than ODF.
Dark Birdseye is pure wood and smoke.
None is even in the same ballpark as Latakia for me, i find Latakia very smokey, creosote, fragrant at times but with a different angle, given it is still “oriental” leaf.
Or simply: DFK is softly smoking wood, Latakia is the smell of the fireplace after the fire.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I have some Dark-Fired Kentucky for blending in a jar (part of a box of blending tobaccos gifted to me) and I have only just barely tried using it. Honestly, I'm a little scared to do so, because I know it tends to pack a punch in the nicotine department, which I tend to be quite sensitive to. I'll have to really burn through my current blends sitting in jars (both handmade and purchased in bulk) before I start to experiment with DFK.

But let me tell you: it probably has the most intriguing smell of ALL blending tobaccos. I need to figure out how to blend with a light enough hand to keep it from being overpowered, while still using enough to make it noticeable.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I have some Dark-Fired Kentucky for blending in a jar (part of a box of blending tobaccos gifted to me) and I have only just barely tried using it. Honestly, I'm a little scared to do so, because I know it tends to pack a punch in the nicotine department, which I tend to be quite sensitive to. I'll have to really burn through my current blends sitting in jars (both handmade and purchased in bulk) before I start to experiment with DFK.

But let me tell you: it probably has the most intriguing smell of ALL blending tobaccos. I need to figure out how to blend with a light enough hand to keep it from being overpowered, while still using enough to make it noticeable.
nicotine tolerance is all about exposure. Which means the best idea isn't to try and blend to avoid it but to smoke only dark fired first thing in the morning. Despite how severely hooked it will make you on nicotine it is worth it. Yes you'll do things you never thought you'd stoop too because you're going through several pounds of tobacco a day... But you won't have to worry about putting too much of any one type of leaf in your blends. Mostly kidding but tolerance is about exposure and fluxes through out the day the week the any measure of time bigger then a few hours. And also that's what little pipes are for.