PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlyner

Lurker
Aug 17, 2022
I used to smoke English all the day when just started pipe smoking.
But now I smoke Virginia blends instead of English most of the time.
And there are some English blends like Ten Russians and Presbyterian are still my favourite, though I don't smoke them that often.

Mar 1, 2014
View attachment 279927I feel like I have given Latakia a fair try. Over the past 6 month I have picked up several English and Balkan blends and I just can’t stand them. Not pictured is Key Largo that I don’t even like. The only blend with Latakia that I have tried and loved was Rimboche AB. I have a tin of Fusiliers Ration and White Knight that I haven’t opened and probably won’t. Now to decide to sell it all or stash it away in case my taste changes (I have my doubts). There is over 19oz total. Does anyone else dislike Latakia as much as I do?
Most of those tins are not on my list of favorites (that I've tried) except for SG Skiff Mixture, which I consider to be one of the best English blends.
The only point of contention I might bring up is that even Skiff is rather dull when it's too dry, if you haven't tried it fresh out of the tin or recently rehydrated there's a remote possibility that you haven't seen its full potential.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I enjoy me a good English every once in a while, and have a few different blends. I love the tin note, and the flavor of the smoke offers a nice change of pace from my usual go-to's. I have several varieties and plan on buying more. The problem for me is: I have little to no tolerance for nicotine. The first time I tried and English, I got so sick that I was curled up in front of a toilet for the better part of an hour. I've since learned to respect these blends and gauge my nicotine level throughout the bowl so that I know when to stop. I just can't smoke them very frequently.

That's too bad that you bought all of these and don't like any of them... I will say that just this weekend, I revisited Haunted Bookshop (I know, not a latakia blend) - a blend I bought 4 ounces of and HATED. It's been sitting on my shelf for years. I was looking at it and decided to watch Hobbiton Piper's review on it and smoke along with him, and lo and behold, I actually enjoyed it! I was able to form a newfound appreciation for the taste and smell, whereas before I thought it had an aroma of butts.

You just never know how tastes might change!

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I’ve found myself to be not a fan. Bob’s Chocolate Flake is the only real exception, and a few other blends that barely reach condiment level.
That said, I’m new to all this (just over a year) and my tastes are developing, so I don’t really pawn off many blends due to time of year changes in my taste and my tastes just plain changing over time.
I was just thinking about filling a cardboard case or two that mason jars come in of blends I don’t reach for and sticking aside to revisit later.
As I’ve heard, blends most likely won’t be more available or cheaper later.
I think I’ll still give Bob’s a try sometime.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Latakia, to me, is the equivalent of smoked paprika. The moment you add smoked paprika to a dish, whether in a large or a small quantity, the dish has to be formulated in such a fashion as to accommodate the paprika or it'll become unbalanced and nasty.

Orientals are already finicky. They're the smallest, densest, must flavor-filled of all tobacco leaves and it's very easy to overfill a blend with them. Latakia involves taking Orientals and preparing them like Dark Fired Kentucky, stretching an already-strong palette into the stratosphere.

For me, just as with smoked paprika, I have to be in the mood for Latakia. For one reason or another, that tends to happen in the spring and the fall. I think it has to do with the feel of the air quality/density, I'd say. I like Latakia on the same days that I might like to sit near a bonfire.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
One of my favorite uses for lat is to put a pinch of it in a VaPer bowl. it peeks in and out making the smoke more interesting. I started my lat adventure by blending about 1/3 english blends with a 2/3 Virginia/burley blend. I developed a taste for it and worked my way up. Since you have English blends why not play with it a little.

It took me a while to warm up to latakia. But, when the season is all orange, grays, with that sparkle of crystal crackle in the wind, I like me a good balkan to wisp away the chill with a kaleidoscope of flavors.

And, for the rest of the year the occasional hint of leather, old books, and the damp aroma of a hearth gone cold is welcome… with mere pinches of latakia in my virginias or burley… momento mori of the season to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.