I Guess it's My Turn for a Grow Thread

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Thanks buddy, Ill probably be bugging you for advice.... I got no clue what Im doing.. :col:
I would be honored, but I still feel like a novice. The first thing I’d say is to start planning how you’re going to cure those Virginias. My first year, I wavered and waned till I was too late, and quickly winging it.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
I would be honored, but I still feel like a novice. The first thing I’d say is to start planning how you’re going to cure those Virginias. My first year, I wavered and waned till I was too late, and quickly winging it.
My thought is the rafters of a hot humid garden shed for the Virginia’s a drafty gazebo for the burleys and sun racks for the Smyrna

When they get waste high, just check them over every day. I go out after dinner every day in the late spring and summer and pull any tobacco worms off with tweezers and step on them. I suggest using landscape fabric to keep most of the worms off. I still get one or two a week, but nothing like my first couple of years. It kills me how these specialized bugs will just show up out of thin air.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
When they get waste high, just check them over every day. I go out after dinner every day in the late spring and summer and pull any tobacco worms off with tweezers and step on them. I suggest using landscape fabric to keep most of the worms off. I still get one or two a week, but nothing like my first couple of years. It kills me how these specialized bugs will just show up out of thin air.
Landscape fabric on the ground? I thought moths lay the eggs on em? Like cabbage worms. I was thinking BT spray

Reactions: danimalia
Landscape fabric on the ground? I thought moths lay the eggs on em? Like cabbage worms. I was thinking BT spray
BT spray works, so does the neem and Dr Bronners soap. But, the larvae lives underground for the first year, and then emerges close to the plants and climbs up the stalks. I've found that by using landscape fabric, I cut out about 90% of infestations, and just have to deal with a few a day, instead of waking up to find several whole plants eaten to stalks.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Broke out the old germination station last weekend. Growing some tobacco for the first time this year. Definitely not a stranger to starting grows from seed. Former big-time pepper grower.

I aim to do 37 plants:
-12 Yellow Twist Bud (Burley)
-12 Canik (Oriental from the Samsun family)
-13 Yenidje (Oriental from the Xanthi region/family)

I'll be air curing the burley, and a doing a mixture of sun and air curing for the Orientals.

Should be a good time.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
Wow, great to see people are growing their own tobacco!

Is curing your own tobacco doable in apartment building or does it require specialized shed or something? How difficult is this for someone with zero gardening/curing experience?

Reactions: danimalia

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Wow, great to see people are growing their own tobacco!

Is curing your own tobacco doable in apartment building or does it require specialized shed or something? How difficult is this for someone with zero gardening/curing experience?
It's doable if you have a balcony or a really sunny window. I spent summer 2019 in a condo, and I picked these leaves at a friend's place. I piled them in a cardboard box until yellow, bunched them into hands of ten leaves, hung them on this carousel in the sun outside on the balcony. I rotated it every couple days. It turned out pretty well after a year and a half of age and being in a kiln for a month. I just made a plug out of it a couple days ago.

DSC_0325_2.JPG

DSC_0361_2.JPG