I Hated Half & Half, Is It Because of the Burley?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Apr 2, 2024
Eastern CT
As more or less a beginner, I've been trying out tobaccos that I can find locally, which is pretty much limited to the OTC codger blends. Along with a couple Captain Black varieties, I got some Half & Half, which after watching a lot of reviews, I was really hoping I'd like. I've given it two tries, and so far I can't find anything I like about it. I'm sure part of that comes from having an inexperienced palate, but whereas I find the Captain Black enjoyable, the Half & Half just seems nasty.

On my last attempt, I followed the advice I'd seen about drying the tobacco more, packing looser, and smoking slower. I left the pouch open to dry for a few days. Before packing my pipe, I also let my little pile of tobacco dry on my dashboard for a bit while I was shopping. It felt dry to the touch, but nowhere near crispy. I packed it loosely in my brand new Missouri Meerschaum Legend, lit it carefully, and smoked slowly. It lasted for well over an hour of slow and steady puffing, with maybe 3 relights.

The flavor I got was primarily ashtray, with occasional hints of burnt coffee, and ammonia on the retrohale. The best I can say for it is that it made the bowl of Captain Black Regular that followed seem like a cornucopia of delightful flavors by comparison. I smoked the CB in a brand new cob too, so new pipe taste wasn't the problem.

I think what it might be is the burley. Captain Black has burley too, but particularly in the Royal, which is my favorite so far, I'm guessing that the only burley in it is cavendish. H&H on the other hand has no cavendish in it. Maybe I hate the flavor of non-cavendish burley?

I ask, because I was planning to track down some Carter Hall next, it being one of the more highly regarded codger blends. But I notice from watching reviews, that many people who like Carter Hall also like Half & Half, and consider it to be similar to but better than H&H. And Carter Hall, if I'm not mistaken, is a burley-based blend. So maybe that's one that I'm better off avoiding?

In the meantime, I'm picking out some primarily Virginia and cavendish aromatics, and straight Virginias, to try to pick out what I like from what I don't.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Try Prince Albert and Captain Black Platinum. I don’t think it’s the burley. Half & Half has a licorice topping and I also think it’s terrible, I like licorice but it’s just not good in that blend, in my opinion. Carter Hall is much better but to me closer to Half & Half than Prince Albert. Also drying those otc blends without cavendish might just make them harsher.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Half and half is half Lucky Strike and half Buckingham Plug. The Lucky is Virginia and the burley is the plug if I recall. I'm thinking you try some Old Joe Krantz Blue. It has the same tobacco elements and if you don't like that then you've got something. Then in that case get some 507c and some WCC American cut plug which I think replicates the elements of half and half and smoke then separately to see which you like. If you like OJK blue then it's the toppings / casing in half and half. Just my thought ... it's hard for anyone to know truly. Taste is in you.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I've only ever smoked Half & Half once, about 6 months ago, and it just tasted like expired grape cough syrup to me. I'm a big fan of Carter Hall and also enjoy Captain Black original more than I'd probably like to admit, but the Half & Half I tried was just beyond gross. I'm wondering if maybe there was a bad batch, because I've heard several folks comment on getting some nasty Half & Half over the past year or so. If you want to get a really solid idea of what a good Burley blend tastes like though I'd recommend picking some Cornell & Diehl Pegasus. It's a darn fine smoke with no obvious topping and very approachable.puffy

Last edited:

norddie

Lurker
Sep 4, 2023
betandreas-ozbekiston.net
Half and half is half Lucky Strike and half Buckingham Plug. The Lucky is Virginia and the burley is the plug if I recall. I'm thinking you try some Old Joe Krantz Blue. It has the same tobacco elements and if you don't like that then you've got something. Then in that case get some 507c and some WCC American cut plug which I think replicates the elements of half and half and smoke then separately to see which you like. If you like OJK blue then it's the toppings / casing in half and half. Just my thought ... it's hard for anyone to know truly. Taste is in you.
507c and WCC American Blend are also great options. I love trying different types

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
If HU tobacco ever makes it to US vendors you must try Makhuwa. Its pretty nice stuff. HH burley Flake is nice too. There are a many others to chose from where you live.

Reactions: grand wazoo