PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
dudleydipstick, around here we call those FUPA's. Fat Upper P#$sy Area, I know its a pipe smoking forum so everyone should be 18+ but I didn't want to offend anyone so I edited it.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Well another term for the FUPA, is 'The veranda over the toy shop'.

And as for Perique and it's definition.... I knew there was a reason why I don't smoke the stuff!!!

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Grog

On 21 Aug 1740 the term 'Grog' came in to Royal Navy vocabulary thanks to Vice Admiral Edward Vernon. Vernon was known by his nickname 'Old Grog' which refered to his favourite jacket which was made from Grogram; he was seldom seen without it. Vernon was a great one for trying to improve procedures, a spin-off from this was to improve health and sobriety in the 'lower deck' ranks in order to improve overall efficiency and performance (Senior ratings continued to be allowed to have their 'tot' neat, as an incentive for boarding party crews and medicinally).

This he achieved by watering down the daily rum ration 'the tot' (which was an 1/8 pint of Rum) with water and citrus juice. The citrus juice, in the form of Lemons or Limes being added to sweeten foul water and, as was found out at a later date, prevented scurvy. (side note here to all our colonial brothers - this is why we Brits got the nickname 'Limeys'). The other reason for watering down the Rum, is that when water is added to most spirits, it doesn't keep for more than a day or so, and thus could not be stockpiled.

Grog remained a daily perk until July 31st 1970, an infamous day forever known in the Royal Navy as 'Black Tot Day'.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
pstlpkr wrote>>>> ("I would call him notorious" and "Secretary Daniels banned alcohol aboard naval vessel's" and "sailors had enjoyed their daily rations"....) A very interesting bit of history. I read the intro a couple of times. As I was enjoying my Peterson with Captain Black at the time,I was once again tortured with an unharnessed question or two that seemed to surround me thicker then the smoke itself. Was he a big man? Was he a small man? Was he a crazy man? Did captain Daniels smoke a pipe at the time of his decision of prohibition? There is just so many questions a pipe smoker could conjure up about a man that has so much freedom of power, and to use it to take away all alcohol from all vessel's,especially when they were only rations. One can not help but think he may have been abused as an infant. It's the little things you know about that count.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Seems that 'Joe' was also responsible in 1917 for ensuring that prostitution was not permitted within a five-mile radius of naval installations. Wow....the two most favourite pastimes of Matlot's wiped out by one man....lol. I bet he was as popular as a pork chop at a Bar Mitzvah!!!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Good observations Ernest,
I have only one thing to alter.

Josephus Daniels was 41st Secretary of the Navy.
JosephusDaniels.jpg

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
"fair to midland" I always thought it phrase was Fair to Middlin' meaning the person felt fair to something in between good and bad

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That's what happens Chuck when you live in the land of almost winter, winter, still winter, and road repair... Down here in the scorched South it's common knowledge... just a grade of cotton.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
oh yeah and i heard that Oscar Wilde coined the term "Dude" combining the word "duds" referring to clothes and "attitude". The idea being that if a hip young fellow had a cool 'tude and some sporty duds he was a real dude.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here is Wikipedia's version:
The term "dude" was first used in print in 1876, in Putnam's Magazine.[5]

One of the earliest books to use the word was The Home and Farm Manual, written by Jonathan Periam in 1883. In that work, Periam used the term "dude" several times to denote an ill-bred and ignorant, but ostentatious, man from the city. The term was also used as a job description such as "bush hook dude" [6] as a position on a railroad in the 1880s.

Status
Not open for further replies.