PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Good luck!

Yes I can relate, i gave up on trying to make it in academia 10 years ago, turned over to the dark side of the private sector.

You’d have a tough time convincing me the dark side of the private sector is any darker than the dark side of academia. If you have the slightest doubt read Veblen’s The Higher Learning in America; over a century old and still very much on point.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
You’d have a tough time convincing me the dark side of the private sector is any darker than the dark side of academia.
Eh, a lot less money at stake in academia, it's more about prestige. I don't believe there've been anywhere near the level of scandals in academia.
Still, rotten people there too, they're supposed to be teachers and educators and most can't stand the idea of students or teaching and moan all day about having to lecture, mark papers etc.

Perverse funding system which is blatantly gamed by everyone just because some govt bureaucrat, somewhere, needs to read that the research Dr X is proposing will yield the next best anti-cancer medicine. Then 5 years down the line nobody checks what happened, and if they do then Dr X says "oh well, we tried and failed but look at these articles we published raising the ranking for University Y" - while in reality Dr X never gave a shit about cancer or medicines, just about how enzyme/gene/molecule Z works. Primary research is critical and should be appropriately funded, but it's not.

On the other hand the private sector lacks the blue sky thinking you get in academia, everything needs to work for a goal otherwise it's a waste of time and money. Then again, my first six months outside of academia felt like paradise, being in a place where there is an end goal to everything, and the trip was far less important than the destination.

Durhamshire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2024
UK
Well done and good luck. Still don't understand how US works, but know the pipemokers I have interacted with are fab and worthy. Great Guys. You go for it Marra

Reactions: Old Smokey