PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The key phrase there is "they SHOULD definitely be ok in the temperatures where your body feels good enough."

I don't know too many people where their body feels good in freezing or sub-freezing temperatures. LOL

Like I mentioned earlier, I've smoked my meers in 40/50 degree weather no problem. I'm not smoking mine in freezing temps though.
I tend to smoke primarily lattice pipes. Through shoveling snow and doing outdoor maintenance this winter I've had no issue, if one is going to break, it will regardless of environment. Didn't you have one fall apart in your hand indoors?

Reactions: Speak Easy
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I tend to smoke primarily lattice pipes. Through shoveling snow and doing outdoor maintenance this winter I've had no issue, if one is going to break, it will regardless of environment. Didn't you have one fall apart in your hand indoors?

Yes, typically if they're going to break its because of a flaw or crack in the pipe already. I just don't like to take unnecessary chances. Besides, I have no desire to smoke outside in the freezing cold when I have the comfort of my heated shop. LOL

Yes, I did have one break in my hands. My Egg and Claw had a talon break, but I had recently shipped it off for a repair, and I think on its travels it got banged around and damaged. It was at two very thin spots, so the least durable part of the pipe. When I was cleaning it, I put a little too much pressure on the talon and it broke off. I was able to repair it though.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well, you know at least one, superficially at least. Up here we learn, at a young age, not to let the temps ge the best of us. Kids gotta play outside!

I can exist comfortably at about anything down to -40 thanks to a week at the Fort Greely aircrew survival school. They had us out there living in tents at -50. I understand how to dress for the weather. I'm not comfortable there but, -20 is no big deal. Just got to know how to dress for it. Wolf, beaver, lynx and such are great insulators. I was born up here, I guess it's simply a learned thing.

The Air Force taught me survival at extreme temps. Just growing up in Anchorage taught me to thrive at -20 or so. We'd play hockey, outside, no indoor arenas in those days, at -10 or so, hiking twn miles down the railroad tracks to the municipal rink. Just part of the day. It's all about what you grew up with I suppose.

Sounds like fun! LOL
I'll take cold over hot as I can always dress for the cold. I've been to Alaska once, and it's beautiful up there. As much as I prefer cold over heat, Alaska might just be too cold. LOL Though, I do agree, overtime you get used to it and you learn how to deal with it, and it just becomes part of daily life.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Yes, typically if they're going to break its because of a flaw or crack in the pipe already. I just don't like to take unnecessary chances. Besides, I have no desire to smoke outside in the freezing cold when I have the comfort of my heated shop. LOL

Yes, I did have one break in my hands. My Egg and Claw had a talon break, but I had recently shipped it off for a repair, and I think on its travels it got banged around and damaged. It was at two very thin spots, so the least durable part of the pipe. When I was cleaning it, I put a little too much pressure on the talon and it broke off. I was able to repair it though.
I need to designate another one as a torture test pipe to run it through cold weather smoking specifically to see what it can do.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I need to designate another one as a torture test pipe to run it through cold weather smoking specifically to see what it can do.

Being that you're an experienced smoker and know how to keep your pipe from being overheated, which is important when smoking in cold temps; you may have some trouble trying to break the pipe. LOL

To have a more conclusive experiment, you should smoke your pipe in cold temps like you normally would, but also smoke your pipe in cold temps where you smoke the pipe hot. I think that's where the trouble lies. You take a hot, over-heated pipe, and introduce it into extreme cold temps and it just puts too much strain on any flaws and/or cracks and the pipe breaks. At least that's my thought. Let me know how your experiment goes.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Being that you're an experienced smoker and know how to keep your pipe from being overheated, which is important when smoking in cold temps; you may have some trouble trying to break the pipe. LOL

To have a more conclusive experiment, you should smoke your pipe in cold temps like you normally would, but also smoke your pipe in cold temps where you smoke the pipe hot. I think that's where the trouble lies. You take a hot, over-heated pipe, and introduce it into extreme cold temps and it just puts too much strain on any flaws and/or cracks and the pipe breaks. At least that's my thought. Let me know how your experiment goes.
I generally have a pipe going while at work but leave the facility for breaks and lunch time. That should be significant exposure to see if anything happens. Whenever I pick one for experimentation, they really get put through their paces. It'll be hot when I'm smoking it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sounds like fun! LOL
I'll take cold over hot as I can always dress for the cold. I've been to Alaska once, and it's beautiful up there. As much as I prefer cold over heat, Alaska might just be too cold. << Snipped bits out >>
According to Northern Exposure, ( ca. 1985, set in Alaska but filmed in Washington.), the inhabited parts are only 5º colder than Kansas City) !! Take that with a grain or two....

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
There’s truth in living and growing up in places that are cold that a person can get used to it. I couldn’t stand the damp “winters” in Olympia when I lived there but I do fine here in WI and MN where in the northern parts of the state it isn’t common to see stretches of negative temps along with even colder windchills. In high school in the 90s we had a stretch of about a week or more of avg highs of around -20 with -50 to -70 with windchill.

Layer up and be smart about things and you’re usually golden. Just make sure you run your car everyday as the batteries can’t stand that kind of cold lol