PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I generally do a lot of research when I’m buying anything which of course includes my pipes. When I saw Castello Epoca the only thing that came to mind was they are very rare and were supposed to be a Drip Wax style according to what I knew.
I worked on getting this Epoca for a little over 4 months, it was on the Devils playground and I was never getting anywhere with my best offers until the last go,around when I dropped my best offer substantially and was countered with an off of less than I was willing to pay so,I nabbed it.
I posted a photo of it on various pipe forums happily stating I’d gotten one of the Holy Grails of Castello pipes the Epoca Drip Wax. I was the schooled on the fact that not all Castello Epoca pipes were of the Drip Wax finish of which around 100 were made, there was another finish which is called Rock Face and less than 50 of these were made. So I waited in anticipation as to what did I really get
Today the long anticipation was over the Castello Epoca was in hand and it is the Rock Face finish. So while I didn’t get what I originally was after I’m more than happy for making a mistake, this is a beautiful pipe and I’m now keeping it smoky with some Dunhill Light Flake.

banjo
28240106757_2dee7cc762_z_d.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes mistakes have happy endings, and that pipe is certainly a fine acquisition. I once bought a Britannia Dublin without noticing it had a twin-bore stem. I thought uh-oh, but went ahead and smoked it, and it has been excellent for years, and both airways pipe-cleaner to the bowl. Likewise, I bought a Pete P-lip Killarney 999, without carefully considering the P-lip feature; I knew it was there, just didn't "decide" about it. I've never ordered another P-lip, but I've never hesitated to smoke mine. I think you have a happy ending with that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.