PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Thanks @python for letting the review continue! ?

Some of you might be aware, when a person joined last month from China, claiming to work for a Chinese Pipe company known as Idea Pipes. They put up a post asking if people would like to test their pipes, and would receive a free pipe if they would review it here.

Since they were a new member, and this was against the rules, I also read there were other issues too, it all came off like a scam from what I could gather were the feelings of others.

Before their post was removed, and my understanding their account closed, I sent this person a PM asking to get a pipe, but I also asked if I could get a specific one, the ‘Dublin Rusticated’, and they said sure.

Well since the time has gone by, to my surprise today on December 26th, all the way from China, my pipe shows up!

Seeing what I’m seeing, I don’t believe any of this is a scam. Idea Pipes has also been on Aliexpress for 4 years. What I believed happened, is just a lack of communication, and this person making mistakes on the forum.

A lot of people also don’t realize that China is censored from the Internet, a lot of the Chinese I have seen over the years are also quite backwards when it comes to the Internet.

If this person did something wrong, I am certainly not here to condone their actions, I’m only here to share that I did get a nice looking pipe, that is all.

I’ve been many years married to an Asian, born and raised in Asia, and we still have language and culture clashes! LOL :ROFLMAO:

This is their website;

This is their Aliexpress Store;

This is the pipe I received;

So whatever happened around here, all I can say is I received one nice looking pipe! ?

I’ll post back here when I give it a smoke! ?

03F63A2F-13D3-4D55-908F-EABCAECCC25C.jpeg

30A0038A-91D2-4B66-9F75-68ABE370E49C.jpeg

3D6CDD64-89E4-4CB6-896F-CB02EE7A21B8.jpeg

2245E65D-553B-49B1-A024-6DE62FFBF06A.jpeg

2181C100-AF22-4CF8-8073-B212326F8669.jpeg

CC6B0438-27C4-4087-91D2-78FE154B336C.jpeg

160D99DB-9BE3-49D1-94FF-D6ABEDC833DE.jpeg

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
To start out some of the review on looks and craftsmanship, from what I am looking at, here are some thoughts.

1. As a Chinese company and Carver(s), they need to be aware of the competition at similar prices!

2. With what I just mentioned, with no disrespect to Idea Pipes, or anyone for that matter, I have not had a lot of inexpensive pipes in my hands. Now this looks good from what I have seen, but then I have also not seen a lot that are inexpensive, in the same price range.

3. With what I mentioned in #2, China has some fierce competition. There are inexpensive pipes out there, of course not all for $59USD with shipping included, but we are not talking hundreds of dollars here, we are talking in the Tens, so it just depends on your budget.

4. There are great companies and carvers for inexpensive pipes, we have, to name a few, of course not all... Brigham, Chacom, Genod, Rossi, and many many more...

I’ll be real honest here, looking at this pipe, I think Idea Pipes might have a shot, but quality, for what everyone will expect for at $60 USD, needs to meet people’s expectations.

Expectations, the same of course on all their pipes, whatever the price may be.

If I was going to buy an inexpensive pipe right now, which I will next month, that is going to be a Genod.

I think where Idea Pipes might shine right now, are for people on a limited budget, where savings can make a big difference, and since we are a community from around the world, I could see how in some countries these could end up being a good deal.

Now don’t forget, the pipe they sent to me is $59 USD, but they sell Briar pipes for as low as $19 USD, including shipping, now if these smoke good, I can really see the popularity for many.

Since it was given to me for free to test and review, I figured why not, but if Idea Pipes reads this, I want them to know, it looks like a great pipe, and that you just need to realize your competition out there, so you can succeed too as a Pipe Business!

Smoke Review coming up next! ?

I’ll be hitting the pipe in just a few hours! :)

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Not bad pricing on a rusticated pipe that small, but the stem work leaves a bit to be desired. The tenon looks unfinished.

View attachment 57522

Ahh my bad for not posting a picture of the Tenon earlier.

The Tenon on the pipe I received, doesn’t look like that, it is slightly discolored, but I say slightly, and it pushes tightly, and smoothly into the shank.

The drill hole in the shank, the hole as a few tiny little burrs to it, two at the bottom, I wouldn’t consider a big negative.

488A31AD-0B56-4A40-AD31-97AF6A8F01E4.jpeg

2CD2CB04-B027-4DC9-98AF-99E5D0E2BABE.jpeg

My wonderment is how they compare to a similarly priced Mr. Brog. Those tend to be, in my opinion, great values as pipes go so is this better, worse or on par? Not sure that @PipeIT can give a definite answer but I'm just curious. May find out for myself in a month or three.

Never smoked any Mr. Brog, sorry can’t help you there. :(

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
After the Cringle Flake dried for 1 hour, I gravity packed the bowl. Anytime there is any excess overflow, I rest my thumb across the rim to pack it in, I never stick a finger inside the chamber packing it further.

The first light went fine, I let it cool slightly, relit it again, and then with only the weight of the Czech Tool, tamped it down and relit it again.

During the first few lights and puffs, after the ember went out and I let the pipe cool, I took several sips very carefully looking for any unusual tastes, but nothing could be found, just nice tabac flavors coming through the stem.

As a pipe smoker I’ve always taken a few puffs and let the tabac ember go out, letting the pipe cool, and then lighting it again. I’ve personally felt like a cooled down pipe, gives a nicer richer cool smoke, and that is how I am smoking this pipe, and so far it’s doing nicely.

I’m not one for torching up the tabac into a volcanic glowing ember, but of course we do want to get a good even burn going. So, for good pipe science, I did do one really good light, getting it all burning and glowing nice, and I took a fairly good size puff and it remained cool and robust in flavor, and the bowl barely got warm.

The one thing I’m thinking right now as I relax between puffs, and the pipe is cooling, how nice does Briar have to be, for it to remain pretty cool while smoking... hmm ?

I have to say, for an inexpensive pipe, the bowl stays pretty cool to the touch and the smoke is smooth and cool to the touch.

After I have smoked through the entire bowl I will report back, for now, consider this, ‘The Beginning Smoke Review’. :)

Aloha! ? ?

P.S. The remainder of the review will be tomorrow! It’s time to kick back with the ole pipe, watch some Netflix and Hulu, oh this Cringle Flake is good! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, it sounds like it does the job. Expecting much in the way of fine finishing in this price range is unrealistic. There's too little money involved to make that possible. There's no money for handwork. I'm impressed with the level of automation achieved to make this, including the rustication.
Evidently it needed no break in. Reads like a good alternative choice for the entry level market.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Seriously can we give the Chinese Conspiracy Paranoia a rest, I’m just trying to give everyone a nice pipe review is all. Is that so terrible?

Seriously you too? Did you ever consider to just ask?

Hello! It’s my First Pipe Review, and I’m also new around here, so I’m only trying to give everyone a good review is all.

Thank you to both of you for making me feel like crap here on the forum.

Oh boy, forgive me everyone for trying to give a review and share, but oh no don’t come here sharing a pipe made in China.

So forgive my ass, for never considering it was a Pipe from China, but then why should I consider it.

I will still never the less send our Hawaiian Spirit of Ohana your way, oh unless that is blasphemy around here too.

One thing is for certain, a lot of people around here forget this is a World Wide Community, people from all around the world on this forum, and I certainly don’t share your same thoughts on this Chinese American bashing.

We are not all Americans in the USA around here, please try and remember and respect that.

Aloha ? ?

P.S. Should I continue on with my review after smoking it, or just drop it and move on?

Keep going. Please. There are plenty of people here who’d like to see an objective review of that pipe, I’m sure-and they couldn’t care less if it’s Chinese or how you got it.

There are a couple of cranks on this board who continuously stir shit up with their political opinions. They can ignore this thread if they’re not interested, so what have you got to loose?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
After the Cringle Flake dried for 1 hour, I gravity packed the bowl. Anytime there is any excess overflow, I rest my thumb across the rim to pack it in, I never stick a finger inside the chamber packing it further.

The first light went fine, I let it cool slightly, relit it again, and then with only the weight of the Czech Tool, tamped it down and relit it again.

During the first few lights and puffs, after the ember went out and I let the pipe cool, I took several sips very carefully looking for any unusual tastes, but nothing could be found, just nice tabac flavors coming through the stem.

As a pipe smoker I’ve always taken a few puffs and let the tabac ember go out, letting the pipe cool, and then lighting it again. I’ve personally felt like a cooled down pipe, gives a nicer richer cool smoke, and that is how I am smoking this pipe, and so far it’s doing nicely.

I’m not one for torching up the tabac into a volcanic glowing ember, but of course we do want to get a good even burn going. So, for good pipe science, I did do one really good light, getting it all burning and glowing nice, and I took a fairly good size puff and it remained cool and robust in flavor, and the bowl barely got warm.

The one thing I’m thinking right now as I relax between puffs, and the pipe is cooling, how nice does Briar have to be, for it to remain pretty cool while smoking... hmm ?

I have to say, for an inexpensive pipe, the bowl stays pretty cool to the touch and the smoke is smooth and cool to the touch.

After I have smoked through the entire bowl I will report back, for now, consider this, ‘The Beginning Smoke Review’. :)

Aloha! ? ?

P.S. The remainder of the review will be tomorrow! It’s time to kick back with the ole pipe, watch some Netflix and Hulu, oh this Cringle Flake is good! :ROFLMAO:
Sounds like it smoked like a pipe. You didn't mention gurgling, which is good. The link indicates that the stem is acrylic. Is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.