PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
As a kid I always loved the smell of my grandfather's all original 1978 Chevy C10 Bonanza pickup that he bought brand new and babied. I had no idea he was a pipe smoker. I never saw him smoke and he never talked about it but the interior of his truck was marinated with a beautiful tobacco smell that I loved. In 2011 he passed away and as me and my father was going through his things I found a lovely pipe rack that held 6 pipes and a jar of tobacco. I wasn't a smoker but when I smelled the pipes and the tobacco left in the jar it clicked that this was that smell I loved to much everytime I got in his truck. I remember he had a 2 or 3 savinelli pipes, a nice freehand artisan, and the others I don't remember. So I knowing absolutely nothing about pipes or tobacco loaded one up and decided to give it a try. ? It was probably everything opposite of what your supposed to do and of course I didn't fall right in love with it. With great regret looking back now I sold his collection on ebay and think I got around $170. There must have been some really good pipes. My grandfather always went with top of the line things. If only I would of had the knowledge then that I have now. I wish he would of taught me about pipes or really any of his many skills. Unfortunately he kept to himself and didn't really invest any of his knowledge or wisdom into my life. Like many people I didn't know anyone who smoked a pipe and didn't even think about looking at YouTube back then. Wish I wouldn't have given up on it so easily and would have kept his pipes in the family.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for sharing your story @That Guy

I have stated elsewhere that I have learnt more about pipes, tobacco and pipe smoking in these past 3 years through lurking and being a member of this Forums than the 15 years in the 70's-80's when I first smoked a pipe.

I'm just thankful that I kept all my pipes from that earlier era !
I did give away a lot of them, but the ones I retained are still part of my regular rotation today.

I always knew I'd get back to smoking pipes again as I'd always enjoyed smoking a pipe, even back then when there was no internet and a very limited choice of tobacco blends.