PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
One of the tobacco makers calls you and says you have a blank slate to create a new blend.
What would you create?
What leaf(s), cut, process etc. would you choose?
What would you call it?
What artwork would you choose?

Reactions: yanoJL

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
One of the tobacco makers calls you and says you have a blank slate to create a new blend.
What would you create?
What leaf(s), cut, process etc. would you choose?
What would you call it?
What artwork would you choose?
I kinda do this from time to time; I blend blends. For example, I recently opened a tin of Cobblestone Outdoor Hiking (burley). I enjoyed the flavor, but got a bit of "nose bite" on the retrohale. So I added in some Amphora Black Cavendish to smooth it out and ended up enjoying that bowl quite a bit.

And I didn't stop there. I repeated this mix with the slightest addition of Latakia, just to see if I could add another dimension to the blend, and challenge myself to detect the individual components while smoking. I called it my "coastal concoction" as I smoked it on the balcony of my home in California.

With access to a variety of blending tobaccos, I'm pretty sure my mixture would end up a "kitchen sink" blend, as I see a place for many of the different characteristics that the varous individual tobaccos offer. Perhaps as a newcomer to the hobby, my palate is not quite refined enough to celebrate the nuances of certain single-type tobaccos such as MB's HH pure Virginia.

Reactions: Akousticplyr