PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Don't worry, I don't have the hubris to think anyone noticed my absence, nor being here in the first place. But I am happy to be back smoking my pipe and thus able to visit here and not be tormented like Tantalus.

In September of 2021 I contracted COVID the first time and lost my smell and taste. It was short lived, but not everything came back normal. Most germane to this forum, Virginias came back tasting like collared greens that had been cooked to slime, nothing but a green, bitter taste layered with sulfur. I tried every varietal and blend, all the same awful taste to a greater or lesser extent. A friend opened an early '70s tin of Sobranie White and it tasted like smoky sulfur and disappointment. I tried a bowl every couple of months but no change. My vitamin N intake was at a solid zero.

January of this year an old pal came for a visit and brought some Cubans. They were delicious as always. I thought I might be cured and loaded a pipe......not a chance, but at least I could enjoy a cigar now and then. So up until this week, I went through many of the finest cigars the Garcias of My Father could offer, still missing my good old Virginia and VaOr's. This weekend it was so nice outside I dug out my old Ashton Lumberman and a tin of Capstan and thought "I'm smoking at least one bowl of Virginia for auld lang syne even if its miserable".......and it wasn't. It wasn't 100% back, but it was at least 90%, and I am overjoyed. I've dusted off and cleaned all my old friends and have been back at my old pace.

On the bright side, my youngest tobacco has 2 years age on it now.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Good for you. Was fortunate when I had covid that my sense of taste was only out of whack for 3 weeks and, though the pipe tobacco didn't taste that great, it also wasn't god awful. So, kept up my puffin'.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Than
Don't worry, I don't have the hubris to think anyone noticed my absence, nor being here in the first place. But I am happy to be back smoking my pipe and thus able to visit here and not be tormented like Tantalus.

In September of 2021 I contracted COVID the first time and lost my smell and taste. It was short lived, but not everything came back normal. Most germane to this forum, Virginias came back tasting like collared greens that had been cooked to slime, nothing but a green, bitter taste layered with sulfur. I tried every varietal and blend, all the same awful taste to a greater or lesser extent. A friend opened an early '70s tin of Sobranie White and it tasted like smoky sulfur and disappointment. I tried a bowl every couple of months but no change. My vitamin N intake was at a solid zero.

January of this year an old pal came for a visit and brought some Cubans. They were delicious as always. I thought I might be cured and loaded a pipe......not a chance, but at least I could enjoy a cigar now and then. So up until this week, I went through many of the finest cigars the Garcias of My Father could offer, still missing my good old Virginia and VaOr's. This weekend it was so nice outside I dug out my old Ashton Lumberman and a tin of Capstan and thought "I'm smoking at least one bowl of Virginia for auld lang syne even if its miserable".......and it wasn't. It wasn't 100% back, but it was at least 90%, and I am overjoyed. I've dusted off and cleaned all my old friends and have been back at my old pace.

On the bright side, my youngest tobacco has 2 years age on it now.
Thanks for this it gives me hope

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Welcome back!
Glad to see that your taste buds are on the mend.
I was almost back to 95% of smell and taste sensation from my bout of Covid early this year, when I was revisited by the bastard virus last week. Your story gives me new hope. (I've lots of cigars)
Stay well.

Reactions: lochinvar