I'm Bloody Livid: Amazon Refuse to Sell Me a Set of Kitchen Knives.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

72 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
3 Fresh Davide Iafisco Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I believe this happened years ago to our local tobacconist. The pathetic local paper hired some underage people, heavily made up, to go in and buy some tobacco. Not sure if it was what caused them to close down (that was the rumour), but it certainly didn't help.

Appalling. I’m sure the editors of your local paper felt quite virtuous about what they accomplished. There is no limit to the damage the sanctimonious can/will do.

Last edited:

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Appalling. I’m sure the editors of your local paper felt quite virtuous about what they accomplished. There is no limit to the damage the sanctimonious can/will do.
I suspect so. My very first pipe came from there, when I was about 8 years old (which hardly sounds like a defense of them, but it was purchased by my mum for a Hannukah play! I can't remember why I needed a pipe, I possibly just insisted that I needed one...).

17135347764393752694880330636435.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Welcome to the leading edge of what will soon take over everything.

The granularity of monitoring citizens is now "available" regarding travel, purchases, communication, personal property, association with other citizens, and so on, right down to pennies spent and physical location on the Earth's surface within six feet.

Because monitoring the massive amount of data is too much work for humans, programs---and increasingly AI---is being used for the purpose.

The people who create laws, rules, and regulations are the ones who tell the expert-system coders and AI modelers what to pay attention to and what to ignore.

Don't like it?

Want to push back or protest?

You better get busy, because when all money becomes electronic---a cashless society is achieved---absolute control will be possible. All it will take to shut down anyone who defies The Controllers will be flipping a switch. Make them a black hole. No money, no credit, no nothing. And those who try to assist them will suffer the same fate.

Food for thought:

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, etc, all the way back to Vlad the Impaler and Attila the Hun managed to do what they did in an entirely analog world. Meaning human spies, human informers, human enforcement, and weapons that made a clinking noise when knocked with a wrench.

What they could have done with today's unavoidable-fabric-of-society technology and bloodless "death by black hole" forced compliance would be orders of magnitude worse.
As usual George, you are spot on...but unfortunately you're a voice crying in the wilderness.

You're up against an impenetrable force in most people known as normalcy bias. Long after all you describe has come to full fruition, the majority will still see it all as completely normal.

Reactions: Kobold

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You are in UK. Of course, they won't sell you a knife set. They are designated as deadly weapon in UK. I hope they will let you keep your butter knives :) With NHS, British teeth don't look like much of a cutting tool. J/K!!!

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I just remembered a time I was coming back to England on a ferry from the Netherlands. I'd been camping with some friends (big rucksacks) and they clearly thought we might have drugs. Wanted to look in our bags and asked if we had any drugs or knives. We said, of course we have knives, we've been camping. And they confiscated our butter knives, but didn't find the proper lock knife at the bottom of my bag. Shows how these ridiculous laws can make the people enforcing them stupider.

• Wow
Reactions: timelord

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
The odd thing, to me: butter knives on a camping trip? Along with the Doulton China and crystal drinking glasses? :)
To clarify, I just mean normal 'knife and fork' knives! Just to distinguish from the actual cut-y stab-y knife. Although I did take a small Persian rug for my tent, and bought another one while I was out there. That was quite heavy rolled up in the top of my rucksack...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Case in point: get upset about actual knifings in the UK and get a visit from the thought police...no, it's not satire.

East Asia has always been at war with Oceania, Winston.

Please come with us to the Ministry of Truth to discuss the matter...

Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 2.53.24 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: Kobold and brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
East Asia has always been at war with Oceania, Winston.

Please come with us to the Ministry of Truth to discuss the matter...

View attachment 304510

Speaking of the Ministry of Truth:

New NPR CEO Katherine Maher gave a Ted Talk during which she asserted that “truth” is a “distraction” which is “getting in the way of getting things done.”

Reactions: jpberg and Kobold

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Speaking of the Ministry of Truth:

New NPR CEO Katherine Maher gave a Ted Talk during which she asserted that “truth” is a “distraction” which is “getting in the way of getting things done.”

That's the mindset, alright.

It's unusual for them to say it out loud, though.

PBS used to be a top-of-the-pile source of in-depth(ish) information. The opposite end of the spectrum from grocery store tabloids.

Same with the BBC.

Then termites got to work, hidden from view. By the time the extent of the damage could be seen from the street their structures were past saving.