I'm Bloody Livid: Amazon Refuse to Sell Me a Set of Kitchen Knives.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
3 Fresh Sam Adebayo Pipes
2 Fresh Jody Davis Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
After living in one state most of my life I decided to move to a different state. A couple of months later I received an application for an American Express card and because I expected I would be doing a lot of traveling I figured it would come in handy. Sent in application and got back a rejection. I called them to see why. They said it was because the credit bureau in the largest city in the new state never heard of me. I explained that I had never been to that city and was new to the state and that they should check my credit in my home town. It was like talking to a brick wall. I finally gave up and told them I would never do business with them in the future. That was about 45 years ago. I've never had an AE card and in the businesses I've been involved with have never accepted their card. Screw me, no screw them! puffy

Reactions: mawnansmiff

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
They can have physical possession of a card and look nothing like you, and still do a lot of damage.

They can today, by forging your card with their photo on it.

By the way, I hate it we have to have keys and locks, much less identification.

I grew up in a home where we’d lost all the door keys. My parents left their cars unlocked with the keys in the ignition.

The Amish still live that way today.

For a super government photo ID to work, it would have to be voluntary.

You’d choose to go to a social security office to have a photo —-if you wanted a photo.

If you want only the last four numbers of your social you could have four—or none.

But if you get the super ID you can have any other data you choose added to the chip.

Your passwords and PIN numbers remain the same.

It would take years, the same way social security cards took years in 1936.

But if designed well everybody would want one, the same as Amish all want a social security card today.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
What I meant was that they can use your i.d., WITH your photo still on it (not adding their own), and do plenty of damage. I know this, as it happened to me.

I’ve heard complaints about the government all my life but there are things they do extremely well.

Nobody can draw your Social Security payments but you. Many years ago sometimes people born before birth certificates had trouble proving their account was their’s but they are all dead or will be soon.

To file bankruptcy in federal court today you must present an original Social Security card if you have one, plus a government photo ID, since 2005. If you have a lawyer they’ll let the lawyer scan it.

The same people that design the dollars with imbedded security could make a high tech ID card.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I’ve heard complaints about the government all my life but there are things they do extremely well.

Nobody can draw your Social Security payments but you. Many years ago sometimes people born before birth certificates had trouble proving their account was their’s but they are all dead or will be soon.

To file bankruptcy in federal court today you must present an original Social Security card if you have one, plus a government photo ID, since 2005. If you have a lawyer they’ll let the lawyer scan it.

The same people that design the dollars with imbedded security could make a high tech ID card.

Not sure who you meant to respond to, but you quoted my message and responded to something different from what I said. I was referring to someone presenting my i.d. with my photo, in order to use my credit cards. They got away with it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Not sure who you meant to respond to, but you quoted my message and responded to something different from what I said. I was referring to someone presenting my i.d. with my photo, in order to use my credit cards. They got away with it.

If there was a super Social Security card, with imbedded credit card numbers, the Feds would require an instant refund.

And you could require a PIN to use the credit cards imbedded.

This would cost taxpayer money, but it would truly benefit the taxpayers.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
UK, we’re laughing at you because you can’t buy a knife. It’s okay, laugh with us.
I get proofed when I buy cold medicine. Same scheme, different item.

• Haha

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
There has been ridicule here of the perceived stupidity of age restricting the sale of knives. However, as a uk based whisky enthusiast, who sometimes posts in the 'What are you drinking thread?' I have absolutely no problem ordering whisky online and having it delivered to my house. Is this a liberty people above legal drinking age across the whole USA enjoy? Is this not a practice which is prohibited across some states. Do some states not restrict the volume of sales to an address in a specified time period, perhaps on the presumption that the recipient is an alcoholic. This isn't something we bat an eyelid about here in the UK, and sounds like Big Brother, Nanny Government to me.
Depends where you live and what you're ordering. Different states have different laws about alcohol.

Where I live, for example, there's still technically a law that it's illegal to import wine and hard liquor into the state (and only the state government could import), but they don't enforce it. Historically they did, so many distributors don't have routes here.

If you want to order something that the state alcohol board doesn't bring in, you're supposed to have it shipped to an ABC store (our state-run alcohol stores) with a "care of [your name]" and pay the state tax on it at the store, after letting the store know.

The reality is, you can't as an individual unless you're loaded or have a business selling, because most distributors won't send a truck with a bottle or two because it's not worth their time and they'd lose money on it with fuel costs and time—you have to order at least a case, if not more, for them to spend the money on having a truck haul out here.

But if you're ordering from an out-of-state business rather than a distributor, many of them won't mail to here either. Not sure if there's regulations about mailing/shipping alcohol with the USPS or a parcel shipping company like UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. I haven't tried to find mail-order alcohol though, I just know some out of state places I used to get some things don't ship at all, even within their own city. So maybe it's possible?

• Wow

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
UK, we’re laughing at you because you can’t buy a knife. It’s okay, laugh with us.
I get proofed when I buy cold medicine. Same scheme, different item.
For a while Safeway here were demanding a license, then only age, when buying non alcoholic beer. 1/1/1901 was my favorite answer.

Now, it seems someone has nixed the ridiculous procedure. There is hope. Maybe just a sliver, but there is hope.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
For a while Safeway here were demanding a license, then only age, when buying non alcoholic beer. 1/1/1901 was my favorite answer.

Now, it seems someone has nixed the ridiculous procedure. There is hope. Maybe just a sliver, but there is hope.
Here in Washington state NA beer is still considered alcohol. But we can buy cold medicine, no problem. My neighbor sold his RV cook lab and dumped all his Sudafed boxes, soup cans, etc., in my driveway a few years ago. I caught him and bounced a pint glass off his tailgate, but he escaped...only to die a year later from an easily treatable gut disease that he was too stupid to do anything about.

Reactions: jpberg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
<< Snipped bits out >>. That was about 45 years ago. I've never had an AE card and in the businesses I've been involved with have never accepted their card. << Snipped bits out >>
So, due to low level clerical incompetence almost a half century ago, you won't avail yourself of a card that's very useful?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
After living in one state most of my life I decided to move to a different state. A couple of months later I received an application for an American Express card and because I expected I would be doing a lot of traveling I figured it would come in handy. Sent in application and got back a rejection. I called them to see why. They said it was because the credit bureau in the largest city in the new state never heard of me. I explained that I had never been to that city and was new to the state and that they should check my credit in my home town. It was like talking to a brick wall. I finally gave up and told them I would never do business with them in the future. That was about 45 years ago. I've never had an AE card and in the businesses I've been involved with have never accepted their card. Screw me, no screw them! puffy
Yes, I’m sure this situation comes up at all of their board meetings: “Will we ever recover from this? Ever?”

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Yes, I’m sure this situation comes up at all of their board meetings: “Will we ever recover from this? Ever?”
Ouch! You can bet I'm not the only one they did this to. Multiply the loss from me by thousands and I'll bet it costs them millions. I'm sure that isn't mentioned at board meeting either. puffy