I'm Bloody Livid: Amazon Refuse to Sell Me a Set of Kitchen Knives.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Accessories
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
72 Fresh Peterson Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
a.k.a. Cash is a threat that must be eliminated. It's the last link in the chain.
Some years ago one of my sons was backpacking through Europe.
I went to his bank to deposit some money into his account so he could have a nice Christmas dinner.
Only to be told by a bank employee that they did NOT accept cash !
When did cash cease to be legal tender ? cray

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some years ago one of my sons was backpacking through Europe.
I went to his bank to deposit some money into his account so he could have a nice Christmas dinner.
Only to be told by a bank employee that they did NOT accept cash !
When did cash cease to be legal tender ? cray
It may be that for some unknown reason- or complete lack thereof- the bank won't accept cash deposits except into one's own account. Still sucks.

Reactions: OzPiper

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
The bad news is all indications are it's going to get much, much worse.
If the new FISA regulations pass the Senate small business's with access to their clients computers will be required to report to the NSA upon demand. Ie: online transactions therefore access. Expected to be voted on Friday ... was in the news today. Better order your kitchen knives before Friday ! :ROFLMAO:

Haggard

Lurker
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
I thought there would be a much bigger pile on… on Amazon.

They’re a shit company.

If you have a local hardware store, they can often order whatever you need.

It’s also nice to see a person once in awhile. Usually twice, if making a special order.

And you can support small business.

And sometimes get better service than what these corporate behemoths offer up cold.

Fuck ‘em.

Their ‘convenience’ absolutely comes with a major cost. It’s just hidden most of the time.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The first day of law school we were taught that in America and other English common law tradition nations, freedom was measured by two standards:

First, you are free to act and do what ever is not specifically prohibited by a duly passed law, of the government.

You can spit inside your house, but if the government passes a law against spitting in public you can be punished for spitting on your own sidewalk in front of your home.

And secondly, the laws of the government cannot command you to act and do anything, with certain narrow exceptions, such as wartime service, compliance with public health laws, and identifying yourself to government officers if there is reasonable suspicion of a crime, or if you are obligated to perform the duty, such as taking care of your children, and other emergency situations such as evacuation orders and quarantines and curfews when public order demands it.

A champion swimmer lifeguard if not on duty, can laugh and watch a little girl drowning in a pond. He has no duty to act.

My Amish friends in the Humansville Amish Community are incredibly law abiding. I’ve sat inside my barn and watched their buggies invariably come to a full stop at a stop sign on a gravel road miles and miles away from any town, and they do that because they always follow the laws of man, not out of fear of punishment.

It surprises most people the Amish are exempt from Social Security (but not other taxes) and Medicare and in theory they do not need Social Security numbers.

But all Amish adults have them, and also a Missouri state ID card but without a photograph (which they believe is a “graven image”.)

A lot of public transit requires identification. They cannot hire out to work on government projects that require eVerify without ID. A valid ID is so necessary in their everyday lives they comply, voluntarily with obtaining the minimal identification they need.

What I hope the USA avoids is a police state with officers requiring official papers to proceed.

But that’s the direction we are headed.

Stop and identify statutes - Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

And as for private parties requiring identification, that is also their right.

In theory they aren’t refusing cash, but refusing to trade or contract with strangers.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
The first day of law school we were taught that in America and other English common law tradition nations, freedom was measured by two standards:

First, you are free to act and do what ever is not specifically prohibited by a duly passed law, of the government.

You can spit inside your house, but if the government passes a law against spitting in public you can be punished for spitting on your own sidewalk in front of your home.

And secondly, the laws of the government cannot command you to act and do anything, with certain narrow exceptions, such as wartime service, compliance with public health laws, and identifying yourself to government officers if there is reasonable suspicion of a crime, or if you are obligated to perform the duty, such as taking care of your children, and other emergency situations such as evacuation orders and quarantines and curfews when public order demands it.

A champion swimmer lifeguard if not on duty, can laugh and watch a little girl drowning in a pond. He has no duty to act.

My Amish friends in the Humansville Amish Community are incredibly law abiding. I’ve sat inside my barn and watched their buggies invariably come to a full stop at a stop sign on a gravel road miles and miles away from any town, and they do that because they always follow the laws of man, not out of fear of punishment.

It surprises most people the Amish are exempt from Social Security (but not other taxes) and Medicare and in theory they do not need Social Security numbers.

But all Amish adults have them, and also a Missouri state ID card but without a photograph (which they believe is a “graven image”.)

A lot of public transit requires identification. They cannot hire out to work on government projects that require eVerify without ID. A valid ID is so necessary in their everyday lives they comply, voluntarily with obtaining the minimal identification they need.

What I hope the USA avoids is a police state with officers requiring official papers to proceed.

But that’s the direction we are headed.

Stop and identify statutes - Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

And as for private parties requiring identification, that is also their right.

In theory they aren’t refusing cash, but refusing to trade or contract with strangers.
Do you call my name? Regardless, the real question here is are PM members allowed within 20 yards of a school zone or allowed sharpe objects.

Otherwise, figure it out. If your contact can't get it done, then you're either doing it wrong or don't have the right guy.

Mar 1, 2014
I've been buying stuff from Amazon for well over twenty years and over those years I've spent thousands of pounds on electrical items, clothing, books, DVD/CDs, computers, bulk foodstuffs and a whole load of booze.

But at the weekend, after much research, I opted to buy myself a new set of kitchen knives but when I clicked to pay a new window popped up asking me to verify my date of birth & my address. I filled in the form thinking how daft, they already know all this but whatever, I did as asked. Only then up popped a message in red type saying I couldn't be verified at that time and to try again later. This I did over 2 days but every time I got the same message.

So on Monday I rang Amazon to ask what was wrong only to find myself talking to a Pilipino guy with a poor grasp of English. After spending 5 minutes saying the same thing to him over & over and getting nowhere I hung up. Ten minutes later I rang again and got a guy whose English was nigh on perfect and I went on to tell him of my issue.

Long story short, apparently my name/DOB doesn't tally with a Dublin based company called Experian who by all accounts hold personal data on everyone (or so I'm led to believe) and simply because they have no data on me, my desire to purchase a set of kitchen knives was denied.

Following the chat with the Amazon guy I got an e-mail from them explaining things and below are the important bits....

A minority of eligible customers may not be able to pass online verification as we are reliant on matching the entered details with Experian's databases, if these are not matched, verification will fail.

There is a higher chance that late teens (18s/19s/20s) or elderly customers (without coverage in common credit databases) may be unable to pass verification.

We apologise for this experience.

So basically, because I've never applied for credit anywhere in their eyes I don't exist as I'm not on their database.

This whole thing really sickens me, apart from the nuisance of not being able to buy the knives there is a company out there (who up until now I was totally ignorant of) who can make decisions on my behalf without having to explain themselves. That to me is very creepy.

Yesterday I had a brilliant idea, I asked my pal if he could order them on my behalf but he says he doesn't have an Amazon account so I guess I'm stuck with my old knives. To say I'm annoyed with Amazon would be a massive understatement!

Jay.

Hate to say it but part of good parenting in the modern era is getting kids a credit score.
All the backlash against DEBT is very healthy, but if you don't live in Japan then holding a credit card is almost as important as a driver's licence.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It may be that for some unknown reason- or complete lack thereof- the bank won't accept cash deposits except into one's own account. Still sucks.
I can understand if a large sum was involved (possibility of laundering illegal funds)
But this was just enough for a nice Xmas dinner

The bank workers all looked like they were under 35yrs old.
And like most youngsters these days, probably don’t use cash for day-to-day transactions

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Are kitchen knives a controlled product in the UK?
Pretty much yes.

Jay.
or go the the maker of the knives, most have their own websites where you can purchase the merchandise, often cheaper than Amazon.
But then you come across the very same issue.....no provable ID, no knives. That is how ALL UK knife makers/sellers are now.

Apparently it's been the legal requirement for ALL knife sellers to ask for ID afore a sale can go ahead.

I got lucky with the 2 dealers that sold me the swords & bayonets because they should have demanded ID also.

Jay.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
@mawnansmiff
Jay, are private sales of knives allowed? Could someone sell a knife to their friend or neighbor? Are collections restricted in size? Do you need a special permit? Are there restrictions on how many knives you can buy at one time?

These are all mechanisms used by US governments to restrict gun ownership.