I'm Bloody Livid: Amazon Refuse to Sell Me a Set of Kitchen Knives.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Davide Iafisco Pipes
New Cigars
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
48 Fresh Rattray's Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Well, y’all have sacrificed most freedoms the monarchy left you with for a false sense of security lately, so there’s that…

Yet it is cool that y’all can buy a moderator for your firearms (if you have them) at the apothecary.

• Haha
Reactions: Hillcrest

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
As I suspected, as I've never applied for credit I have no credit rating on Experian but for the life of me I cannot see the connection because I only spend what I have, therefore don't need credit, that somehow bars me from buying kitchen knives. Utter madness.

Why Don't I Have a Credit Score? - Experian

"You have never used traditional credit accounts. Your credit history will begin only when a creditor—such as a credit card issuer or lender—reports a record of....".

I've just been reading how all the major supermarkets here in Blighted Blighty stopped selling kitchen knives some while ago.

Jay.

Reactions: jpberg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
One other thing that I have never understood is when you have to prove your age, the license cannot be expired. We once paid for a wine tasting in North Carolina years ago. It was with some well known sommelier, and we drove all the way up there, got a place to stay, and went to the winery, which wouldn't let my wife in because her DL had expired. Now, you're age does not change just because your license has expired. She wasn't driving. And, we were obviously very old people, ha ha. I think that they let the stupidest people make the rules.
I'm 71 years old. I have a white beard. There is NO mistaking be for a 20 year old man.
I went into a store to get a bottle of rum the cashier that asked for my ID. Another cashier was watching this and rolled his eyes.
After looking at the cashier like she is really stupid, I pulled out my retired military ID just to screw with her mind.
She looked at it and asked if I had any other ID. This was in December so I happened to have my Santa's Sleigh Drivers License (Yes, it's a thing and it comes with a gold tone badge.) I showed that to her. The other cashier lost it and burst out laughing.
He explained to her that she only needed to ask for ID if the purchaser looked under 30 years old.

Ignorance is correctable. Stupidity is Terminal.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Is this some new requirement? After all, they've been happy to take your money for the last 20 years.

Experian is one of the big 3 credit monitoring companies we encounter here in the US. Besides providing a credit score to prospective lenders they can also help to resolve/prevent identity theft. One can also obtain their current credit report for free (at least here in the US), there are procedures to challenge that info as well. Establishing an account costs nothing and you can see what's in their databases.
That is, when they're not getting hacked and leaking all that information they've been gathering on us.

As I suspected, as I've never applied for credit I have no credit rating on Experian but for the life of me I cannot see the connection because I only spend what I have, therefore don't need credit, that somehow bars me from buying kitchen knives. Utter madness.

Why Don't I Have a Credit Score? - Experian

"You have never used traditional credit accounts. Your credit history will begin only when a creditor—such as a credit card issuer or lender—reports a record of....".

I've just been reading how all the major supermarkets here in Blighted Blighty stopped selling kitchen knives some while ago.

Jay.
It's kind of sad that kitchen knives are getting hard to find there. What happens when the psychos start using pointy sticks to kill people? I think of Monty Pythons, how to defend yourself against fresh fruit skit.

It is amazing that you have gone this long without ever having had any credit.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Kitchen knives!! Bayonets! Dishwashers! Bloody crazy rules/procedures in today's world. I can sorta get my head around the Amazon/Experian situation (Sorry, Jay) but giving cash to an obvious n'er do well such as cosmic, in lieu of him taking the effin dishwasher takes the cake.

Meanwhile, in NYC, it's a long process to find 12 men good and true out of a pool of 500 (initially!) Not to mention critical situations here and there in the world. Please no one mention those!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I’m fuzzy on this. If credit history is the issue it should affect your ability to buy anything, not just knives. But if you’re using debit cards with a positive balance on Amazon why should creditworthiness matter? Are kitchen knives a controlled product in the UK? Are these particular knives four feet long?

Is the issue ability to pay or what you’re trying to buy?

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It's what you get when people design systems to protect themselves from people who would steal from them. There's always a solid customer who simply will not base their arbitrary tests and so won't get what he wants. Then when that person calls about it they get some person who doesn't understand or can't communicate back to the customer. Maddening. Businesses who have international call are just screwing themselves when they are doing this.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I’m fuzzy on this. If credit history is the issue it should affect your ability to buy anything, not just knives. But if you’re using debit cards with a positive balance on Amazon why should creditworthiness matter? Are kitchen knives a controlled product in the UK? Are these particular knives four feet long?

Is the issue ability to pay or what you’re trying to buy?
Pretty sure the issue was that his age could not be verified by their system which queries Experian's data base, where Jay is not entered.
Why kitchen knives? I've seen too many BritMysts to comment.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
About 8 months ago I arranged a deal to buy two antique Indian made bowie knives from a registered military arms dealer for £640. The deal went swimmingly right up to the point where the guy wanted confirmation I was indeed over 18.

We had spoken over the phone for some length about historic knives and assumed that would suffice but no, he wanted to see some photo ID. My passport ran out years ago and my driving licence is also out of date since I gave up driving.

I explained all this to him but that was that.....no deal.

What a bumhole.

A few weeks later I bought 2 swords & 4 bayonets from 2 other military dealers with no problems at all.

Jay.
There are businesses who function strictly by the book and others who don't. Things have become much worse since Internet access went public. Online scams grow exponentially daily both in numbers and in sophistication. Companies are in a constant scramble to understand and combat it, affecting everything we do, unless we're never on line, never sick, never have a bank account, and never do a bunch of other things that most people do, you're not off the grid, no matter how much you delude yourself that you are. Add to that that billions of life records have been hacked, vast breaches of data bases you never asked to keep track of you are now spread all over the dark web, for profit. Nobody on this forum hasn't had their credit or banking information stolen. So we're all open to being scammed constantly, and it's forcing a number of companies to adapt much more stringent ID requirements, with attendant confusion and fuck ups, to protect their own asses.

Making your ID difficult to prove won't help you in this environment. Get a proper up to date ID and you won't have this bullshit with Amazon. Personally I say fuck Amazon and do your trade with someone local if you can, or go the the maker of the knives, most have their own websites where you can purchase the merchandise, often cheaper than Amazon.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
As if I needed another reason to never use Amazon again.

As for the restrictions on buying kitchen knives, just another of the countless signs of how the western world has gone totally batshit crazy in recent years. And that's the good news. The bad news is all indications are it's going to get much, much worse.