In An Age of Free Returns, Does Buyers Remorse Exist Anymore?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has Amazon, AliExpress, Walmart etc killed buyers remorse?

Almost everything that you can buy today, not just from the above but elsewhere too, always touts free returns. Amazon returns are as easy as clicking a button, no questions asked. At the local big box, you just need a receipt (sometimes not even then) and away you go.

I can't remember the last time I bought something and thought "well I'm stuck with it now".

So has buyers remorse disappeared?

Reactions: Snook

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I doubt it, at least when talking about vehicle purchases, used and new. A lot of buyers are thrilled to find their state has "lemon laws." Houses can also be a problem, even with extensive inspections and warranties. No I think "buyers remorse" is still out there. Another reason lawyers can make good moneys. And, there are still "marks" out there and plenty of predators waiting to take advantage of the naivety. Just witness some of the posts here with regard to used pipes and finding they've been "had." How do you collect when a seller can fade away and arise with a new site and name? A lot of people never think of "due diligence" before sending credit card number out into the ether.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alejo R.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I think they should allow the easy returns. When you go into a phisical store you can pick the item up and look it over. When buying online you don’t have that luxury. Since the online stores are putting local stores out of business then they need to offer something that eases the mind of people buying it without seeing it in person.

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I returned a pipe I bought over eBay and the seller gave me some real nasty attitude. The reason I returned it was because I did not like the way it felt at all holding it. That’s how we buy/not buy pipes in B&M. There was a box I clicked for “changed my mind” and yet the seller acted like I did him wrong.

I wish we can teturn pipes purchased online with ease.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I returned a pipe I bought over eBay and the seller gave me some real nasty attitude. The reason I returned it was because I did not like the way it felt at all holding it. That’s how we buy/not buy pipes in B&M. There was a box I clicked for “changed my mind” and yet the seller acted like I did him wrong.

I wish we can teturn pipes purchased online with ease.
I'd call that "briar's remorse."

jerry.gif

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Has Amazon, AliExpress, Walmart etc killed buyers remorse?

Almost everything that you can buy today, not just from the above but elsewhere too, always touts free returns. Amazon returns are as easy as clicking a button, no questions asked. At the local big box, you just need a receipt (sometimes not even then) and away you go.

I can't remember the last time I bought something and thought "well I'm stuck with it now".

Buyer's remorse does not only appear because you are not satisfied with the good or service purchased. It also appears once the satisfaction of purchasing dissolves and the consumer evaluates whether having purchased something was financially intelligent. It often involves concerns about the impact, cost, or alternatives of the decision.

Reactions: fireground_piper

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Buyer's remorse does not only appear because you are not satisfied with the good or service purchased. It also appears once the satisfaction of purchasing dissolves and the consumer evaluates whether having purchased something was financially intelligent. It often involves concerns about the impact, cost, or alternatives of the decision.
Fair point, I guess I meant more of the immediate buyers remorse, not long term.

Reactions: Alejo R.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I would say that to some extent, yes they've eliminated buyer's remorse. But because of the convenience of free-returns policies, people just buy even more crap.

Personally I find the process of returning an item to be mentally draining and a waste of my valuable time, so I consider my purchases for a long while before finally pulling the trigger. Additionally, the logistics and costs of reselling opened or slightly used products is such that many retailers choose to simply throw many returns in a landfill. I don't want to contribute to that.

Big corporations, sure, send it back, even though everytime I have tried to return something to Amazon because it doesn't fit, they usually just tell me to keep it, and they refund my money.

But, buying from an individual on eBay is different. Accepting a return means that it costs you more money that you just have to eat, and merely because someone didn't like the way it felt? I'd be pissed too. This is why I would never sell anything on there. I can just throw a pipe in the garbage and feel better about it than having to deal with buyers who think that I am just like Amazon, and can eat that kind of money.

Sure, sure, celebrate this lack of buyers remorse, but like every technology, it creates a sense of entitlement. "I'm entitled to a refund." Phhhht... Ain't no way I would get into the pipe selling game.

Reactions: Snook and Alejo R.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Virtually all sellers of new pipes with offer a refund if you do it within a short period of time if the pipe is unsmoked. Usually, the buy has to be pay the shipping both ways. It's when it has been smoked that things get murky.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
remember businesses do this because they feel they will make more money this way. What I have noticed though is that it is one of those things that annoys me. It annoys me because some people will only make what they consider legit returns. I always hate systems that punish people who try to practice some form of integrity.