PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
It’s been a long time since I noticed any criticism of the WAYS thread - what have I missed?
Can you link to the critiques?
I haven’t seen any.
I don't feel like calling out any particular members. It was something I saw a while back and I've had this thread in mind ever since then. It went something like this:

"Wah wah wah! It's not fair! Sniffle sniffle. WAYS posts shouldn't count. Blah blah blah."

I don't remember what thread it was in and I'd have to dig to find. Take it at face value, if you will.

Also I wouldn't take the OP too seriously. My point was just to stoke conversation. Not to exacerbate a perception of any conflict that's really just a nothing burger. I was hoping it would serve as a launching off point for conversation.

Anyways,

For me, the WAYS thread is kind of like a journal, or record of what pipes I own, (if I ever need it for insurance purposes!), and if I want to know the last time I smoked a particular blend I can conceivably search it up. It's kind of like a public diary, but it's also a great place for casual conversation, where people talk about their day, and what's going on with them, in their area of the world. I wish I could keep up with it quite honestly, but I don't read all the posts. I read about half of them, depending on how much I'm posting.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I really enjoy seeing different pipes and discovering tobacco blends in WAYS. I hope to make some of my own pipes someday and it’s always enlightening to see what is possible. My interest in types of pipes and tobacco is catholic (small “c”)—a budget five dollar pipe can be appreciated as much as a four figure pipe, whether I’m looking at it or smoking it. I also use WAYS as a tool: as my collection has grown over the years, I have shifted from dedicating genres of tobaccos to pipes to dedicating specific blends to pipes (I kind of have enough to do so at this point in time); I look up pipes I’ve posted to see what I’ve smoked in it and make decisions based on its history what blend to begin to dedicate. I’m also slowly creating a spreadsheet of my various pipes (which might help my family when I pop off this mortal coil) and use my posts to help put that together.
I look at my old posts and say “who the hell is this guy, and why the f*^k haven’t they banned him yet?”

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
WAYS posters are all child molesting, meth addicted, puppy abusing, psychopathic serial killers in hiding, of course.

That's so unfair. Jim has never child molested, been meth addicted or abused a puppy. I can't even agree with psychopathic. Sure, every now and again he flips out and kills a crack addled hooker but then, which one of us hasn't? In the long run, we're helping the legal and medical systems and keeping the streets a little safer. But you are right about the real dirtbags - those sanctimonious chubs who've never even thought about deleting a hooker because they don't have the stomach for it. Wimps.

H

HRPufnstuf

I was shocked to see this tread. I am not shocked by the community support.

There are those whose bitterness and vitriol offend me on this site, the ignore option sorts those issues for me very effectively. Life is too short to waste swapping slander and snark

Let the Karens of the world do that..

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I didn't initially care for WAYS, but totally understood the appeal and thought it's a great feature/concept. However, WAYS grew on me for several reasons.

I enjoy seeing behind the curtain of members' lives when they choose to share. I also enjoy the consistency with certain members since I notice patterns in every day life (and it throws me off when the pattern is broken).

Also, some pictures are done really well and the thread opened my horizons on pipe shapes/brands while seeing other "set ups".

As for padding post counts and "likes", I was unaware it mattered to others (except for participating in selling or secret Santa). Seems like a petty complaint amongst grown ass adults.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
This being the first forum and only forum I've participated in... I'm still trying to crack the emoji code. I feel that they are fickle, backstabbing, evil little things that can't be trusted. Sometimes they're there and then they're not, they hopscotch over you and kick you in the balls, they drain you like an energy vampire, and play games that leave you confused and haunt your dreams. I suffer from emoji fatigue, and wonder if someday an emoji ignore feature will be created so that I can participate in ignorant bliss. -Sleepless in Texas ♥️☺️😠👿☹️👍

F04F576D-7EB0-4623-AE96-A5CFB2CE454C.jpeg

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I read half the first page of this thread, skimmed the second half, then skipped to the end, so forgive me if I'm just repeating stuff others said. But I did see the post in question where someone bemoaned WAYS posts counting towards post count or something. Didn't realize post count mattered so much beyond reaching the minimum for the buy/sell sections. I guess it does to some?

I generally lurk threads, I read some but don't post much in them because I usually have nothing to add, or it's some topic that I've seen a million times before just in the short time I have been here, or is stuff I view as overthinking and overcomplicating something that doesn't need a PhD to do. And that's not poopooing what other people like to do, that's just how I view some stuff.

Without the WAYS thread, it would have taken forever (probably never) to build any semblance of credibility (as a real person that actually smokes a pipe), which might put a damper on trying to buy a pipe or something from a forum member in the future.

That said I don't really follow WAYS. I go to the most recent page, skim most of it, toss a like on any post with a pic of a pipe without even reading most of them, post a pic of what I am smoking, which is always shot new, usually just after I loaded the pipe. It's always a quick shot, basic framing but nothing artsy or trying to make it look good, as long as it's decent, always unedited. Just shows I am an active person, even though I'm not really, but it's about the only way I can contribute without people thinking I'm a bigger asshole than they already do.

I don't follow the WAYS thread because it moves too fast. In the brief time it takes me to run through all the posts on whatever the current page is with some likes, and to attach my pic to my post, there's been like 3-5 new posts sometimes.

Hell, most of the threads I do read, I just skim, and I only usually get on here when I am smoking, or bored. But that's how I am with most everything I do or am into.

It's not a big deal and I don't see the problem with it. Not every post has to be super meaningful, deep, high value, conversation sparking, etc. I don't get what the problem is for those that have a problem with it, unless it's an ego problem because their post count should be the biggest or something?

Besides, how many times can you resurrect the same dead horse and beat it again and again? Some people it seems infinity. Me? I can't. If I already saw the movie, I can't stand to watch it again even if I liked it, because I already know what happens. That's how most threads seem to me in general, the same question or comment 500 times a day. There's nothing new under the sun.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I enjoy the thread. If you dont then dont open it. Easy solution.

As for the search issue of a thousand messages...yes thats real but the box where you can click Only In Thread Titles helps.

Also my eyes have gotten pretty good at scrolling through the like shaped titles to find something different.

The thread is great becuse it doesnt get into peoples politics and its pure pipe fun! You get to see pipes from carvers you dont kow exist and the best part is they are not for sale!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I don't feel like calling out any particular members. It was something I saw a while back and I've had this thread in mind ever since then. It went something like this:

"Wah wah wah! It's not fair! Sniffle sniffle. WAYS posts shouldn't count. Blah blah blah."

I don't remember what thread it was in and I'd have to dig to find. Take it at face value, if you will.

Also I wouldn't take the OP too seriously. My point was just to stoke conversation. Not to exacerbate a perception of any conflict that's really just a nothing burger. I was hoping it would serve as a launching off point for conversation.

Anyways,

For me, the WAYS thread is kind of like a journal, or record of what pipes I own, (if I ever need it for insurance purposes!), and if I want to know the last time I smoked a particular blend I can conceivably search it up. It's kind of like a public diary, but it's also a great place for casual conversation, where people talk about their day, and what's going on with them, in their area of the world. I wish I could keep up with it quite honestly, but I don't read all the posts. I read about half of them, depending on how much I'm posting.
I really thought I missed something - I’m eating the popcorn anyway! Yep, it was one post and I remember it and it was in the context of complaining about post count, “likes” (lol), “status” (cough) and the like - actually the term was “prestige” it it was kind of a really short, passing remark at most.

I think it’s interesting to read what folks get out of that particular thread so a nice discussion for sure, but in the grand scheme one faux complaint maybe not a call to arms.

But if this thread gets some folks putting up more pics of their pipes and tobacco - win!!!

I know I invited said complainant to do so, but so far he hasn’t - still hope he does.

Last edited:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I really enjoy seeing different pipes and discovering tobacco blends in WAYS. I hope to make some of my own pipes someday and it’s always enlightening to see what is possible. My interest in types of pipes and tobacco is catholic (small “c”)—a budget five dollar pipe can be appreciated as much as a four figure pipe, whether I’m looking at it or smoking it. I also use WAYS as a tool: as my collection has grown over the years, I have shifted from dedicating genres of tobaccos to pipes to dedicating specific blends to pipes (I kind of have enough to do so at this point in time); I look up pipes I’ve posted to see what I’ve smoked in it and make decisions based on its history what blend to begin to dedicate. I’m also slowly creating a spreadsheet of my various pipes (which might help my family when I pop off this mortal coil) and use my posts to help put that together.
Haha, someday, I assume many moons from now, when I’m on permanent vacation from life, I expect my wife will grab a garbage bag, toss the pipes in, and that will be that. Okay by me.

Thanks for starting my Friday off with thoughts of mortality, lol. I think I’m going to run with scissors and maybe have a Coke and fatty foods for lunch followed by a hearty bowl to defy the Grim Reaper today!

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
That's so unfair. Jim has never child molested, been meth addicted or abused a puppy. I can't even agree with psychopathic. Sure, every now and again he flips out and kills a crack addled hooker but then, which one of us hasn't? In the long run, we're helping the legal and medical systems and keeping the streets a little safer. But you are right about the real dirtbags - those sanctimonious chubs who've never even thought about deleting a hooker because they don't have the stomach for it. Wimps.
Totally untrue what you say about Jim…but he does run a cat house though (totally verifiable).

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
This is my favorite forum, I have no other social networks. It has helped me a lot, when I have had a bad time. I have a special affection for these forum friends, I have learned a lot from them, in the tobacco world, and in general. Well, I agree 100% with the reflections of Lotus and Telescopes. Also, I love them (ways), with mustard, pickles and German sausages.muppet-show-muppets.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.