PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
As a Virginia guy, I have tried a lot of straight VAs in my tour of the pipe world thus far, and I can’t help but come back to this one.

Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake is very nice. It has a very pleasant aroma both in pouch and in the room, for me. It’s dependable, and has quite a nice flavor as well. It is a straight VA so it’s a straightforward experience but it never really seems bland to me.

I like this in the wider bowl of my bulldog. And at the price, you can’t beat it. For me, this is wholly superior to 507C when fresh and it smells better too.

Check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I concur on all counts. It's a fantastic VA flake. First time trying it, wifey remarked at the tin note this way: "It smells like those vanilla candles they sell at (the now defunct) Bed Bath & Beyond." Upon giving her a sip midway through the first bowl, it was: "Thank God it doesn't taste like one." As usual, I agree.

And when SP is running a 10% off all pipe tobacco sitewide sale? Fuggetaboutit! It's like you're practically stealing the stuff...

puffy

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
SIR! Do you besmirch and belittle my beloved 507c "Slices of Heaven?" How dare you!* You can just take that "Superior Navy Flake," stuff it in your pipe and smoke it! (Which I do myself on occasion.) nnnn

* How dare you! phrase courtesy The Doom Goblin

:ROFLMAO: Now, I have a jar of 507C sitting right next to my No.400, it's good stuff as well. I just find No.400 a little more interesting, and I think its room note is very pleasant. Kind of like what I'd expect baking graham crackers to smell like.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I think the nm400, 507C, and PS LNF are all solid bulk choices deserving of their spots. I hear they all age very well too. I now have enough routine rotation that I’m looking forward to sales where I can bulk up a little for the future.
In the meantime, of the three, I’ve found NM400 blossoms the best with a little home stoving to hurry things along.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
As with all things tobak, a little YMMV goes a long way.
I did not like NM400 vs 507C when I got both fresh.
2 hrs in a vac bag sous-vidé setup and NM400 is very, very good.

Both mentioned have been gateway flakes for this relatively new pipe guy.

I did leave this jar on the dashboard of my car a few months ago during a recent heat wave.

Maybe it's the heat and sun that make it come alive?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
The price is certainly appealing, but the reports of mild flavor make me hesitate. Do you have to work harder (more carefully I should say) to get flavor from this one, or is it not really that bad? Thanks.
It's not in your face flavor but it is there on every puff for me. I find it lightly sweet with a nice malty backbone. I think it is a really good blend and is well worth trying if you enjoy virginias

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I did leave this jar on the dashboard of my car a few months ago during a recent heat wave.

Maybe it's the heat and sun that make it come alive?
That’ll do it!
I usually throw about a half oz of 3-4 different blends in small sealed Snus tins in my lunchbox on Monday to smoke during the work week. I really noticed the effect this July (we had 30 of 31 days 110*+) just tossing them on dash all day at work.

Reactions: yanoJL and Scottmi

Singlebevel

Lurker
Sep 4, 2023
Cincinnati
2 hrs in a vac bag sous-vidé setup and NM400 is very, very good.
Very interesting idea mentioned here. Is the tobacco in vac bag actually immersed in water heated to a particular temp, for a particular time (as is common for sous-vide cooking recipes)? If so, I’d be keen to know any particulars: time, temp, result for Newminster 400. I look forward to researching this later!

Regarding the subject of this thread: I agree with OP. I bought a bulk of Newminster #400 in June, along with a smaller order of 507C. I was very impressed with the presentation of the Newminster (1# box of uniform, thin flakes) over the Sutliff. Both perform beautifully in the pipe. Though neither tobacco is a slouch, I find the Newminster delivers a richer smoke, with more pronounced flavors of dark fruits and a slower burn.

Next time there’s a sale, I intend to add to my inventory!

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Very interesting idea mentioned here. Is the tobacco in vac bag actually immersed in water heated to a particular temp, for a particular time (as is common for sous-vide cooking recipes)? If so, I’d be keen to know any particulars: time, temp, result for Newminster 400. I look forward to researching this later!

Regarding the subject of this thread: I agree with OP. I bought a bulk of Newminster #400 in June, along with a smaller order of 507C. I was very impressed with the presentation of the Newminster (1# box of uniform, thin flakes) over the Sutliff. Both perform beautifully in the pipe. Though neither tobacco is a slouch, I find the Newminster delivers a richer smoke, with more pronounced flavors of dark fruits and a slower burn.

Next time there’s a sale, I intend to add to my inventory!
Look up the home stoving thread. I did bag immersed for 2hr at 190-200*, then let rest in its own sweat for 2wks.

By the way, is your screen name a BH reference? I prefer Exodus for 40-100yd, but Kudu’s are onboard for elk/mulie under 40😉

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Not a huge fan of that caramel tasting topping it has but it’s certainly a high quality tobacco. I’ve never had it aged though so I can’t speak to that.

Reactions: Scottmi

Singlebevel

Lurker
Sep 4, 2023
Cincinnati
By the way, is your screen name a BH reference?
Thanks for the stoving reference and the recipe. Definitely captures my interest - I am sure I’ll dabble when I can focus on a tobacco project.

Re: screen name, “yanagiba” and “deba” are my favorite shapes for ‘single bevels’ (traditionally forged Japanese kitchen knives).

Reactions: Scottmi