PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I get an instant chemical reaction when smoking EMP. With the first few puffs I get a tingling sensation throughout my mouth. A few more puffs and my entire mouth and tongue are stinging bad. I have tried several times over several months and always get the same reaction. The first time I pushed it too far and couldn’t smoke for three or four days after. The tin lists red Virginia. Is that a main component? I know that red Virginia is a problem for some.

I notice that other blends with red Virginia are tingling but not nearly on the same level.

I have no problems with Nightcap or MM965 and other English blends.

I am curious if others get a severe reaction from EMP and what might be causing it. Maybe red Virginia or another component.

This is definitely not a smoking technique issue. I have scorched my mouth many times but not recently. This does not feel the same and it happens almost instantly. Please don’t turn this into a smoking technique thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Different acidity and Ph levels affect everyone in different ways, there are quite a few cases of people that just can't smoke certain tobaccos. At least you found out early and can look for lends either lighter on those components or lacking them completely.

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I
Based upon your description of the symptoms, I would guess that you suffer from Red Virginia Intolerance Syndrome (RVIS), a condition for which there is no known cure. In order to help you out, please send all of your Early Morning Pipe tobacco to me and I will make certain that it never again causes you discomfort! :)

I appreciate the kind gesture. Unfortunately, I gave my remaining EMP to a friend who does not suffer from RVIS. 😉

Reactions: Sigmund

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
Different acidity and Ph levels affect everyone in different ways, there are quite a few cases of people that just can't smoke certain tobaccos. At least you found out early and can look for lends either lighter on those components or lacking them completely.

I have tried some straight Virginia and VaPer blends that I like and do not bother me. I will stick with those for an occasional change of pace from my standby burley blends.

Reactions: AJL67

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
If you just popped the tin fluff up a few bowls and give it some time to dry out a bit. It’s a good mixture to introduce the family to Latakia in the house.

Reactions: Dublin Old Man

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I don't have issue with EMP but it's been a while since I've smoke some, might have to crack into the cellar. That said I'm a red virginiaophile, love the stuff and it forms a very large portion of my cellar. There are people who really suffer from red Virginia how ever and you may just be one of those people.

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
If you just popped the tin fluff up a few bowls and give it some time to dry out a bit. It’s a good mixture to introduce the family to Latakia in the house.

After the first try I jarred it and let it set for awhile before I dared try it again. I gave it a few weeks and gave it a second chance. A few seconds into it my entire mouth and tongue were burning and I was done. l tried it at least one more time months later thinking that aging might help, with the same result. I wish it had worked out because the first few puffs tasted great.

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I don't have issue with EMP but it's been a while since I've smoke some, might have to crack into the cellar. That said I'm a red virginiaophile, love the stuff and it forms a very large portion of my cellar. There are people who really suffer from red Virginia how ever and you may just be one of those people.

I might add an ounce of straight red Virginia to my next tobacco order and see how I react. That way I will know for sure if that is the culprit and then strictly avoid blends that contain it if I get a reaction.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Full Virginia Flake does this to me. It’s like acid spray in my mouth the second the flame hits the tobacco. I gave up trying years ago.
It’s so weird being physically unable to smoke a longtime standard that nearly all pipers love.
Whatever. It’s not for me.

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
Full Virginia Flake does this to me. It’s like acid spray in my mouth the second the flame hits the tobacco. I gave up trying years ago.
It’s so weird being physically unable to smoke a longtime standard that nearly all pipers love.
Whatever. It’s not for me.

Acid spray is a perfect description of what I experience with EMP. It is unfortunate that we are a very small minority that reacts so intensely to great blends.

SmokingInTheWind

Might Stick Around
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I don't think I've ever tried any blend with any or much red Virginia in it. I do know that yellow Virginia's are unsmokeable to me. So I'm sure the reds would give me trouble too.

I've given up the battle, and only smoke burleys now.

What are the burley blends that agree with you? I'm looking to expand my choices. It seems that most burley based blends also contain Virginia, and it usually isn't specified what type of Virginia in the descriptions.

Last edited: