PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I’m in Japan so shipping is tough. Nevertheless, I just got a prewar Kaywoodie thorn for a great price, the whole thing with shipping was like 35$, and the seller was truly wonderful. I guess many people are paying for the refurbishing? I know, and the rarity of the examples here. My Thorn isn’t so rare.

Reactions: trudger

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I’m in Japan so shipping is tough. Nevertheless, I just got a prewar Kaywoodie thorn for a great price, the whole thing with shipping was like 35$, and the seller was truly wonderful. I guess many people are paying for the refurbishing? I know, and the rarity of the examples here. My Thorn isn’t so rare.
You're closer to the States than I am in Sydney, Oz
I saw a pipe on EBay recently (as in 2-3 weeks ago) for @ $30
The postage to Australia was @$60 :eek:
Forget about it :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: AroEnglish and milk

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
You're closer to the States than I am in Sydney, Oz
I saw a pipe on EBay recently (as in 2-3 weeks ago) for @ $30
The postage to Australia was @$60 :eek:
Forget about it :rolleyes:
Interesting. There is a healthy bit of auctioning here. I imagine there must be more pipes floating around auction sites in Japan than Australia?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Interesting. There is a healthy bit of auctioning here. I imagine there must be more pipes floating around auction sites in Japan than Australia?
The pickings in Australia are pretty slim
The occasional item that comes up are usually not Listed/presented well by the handful of Australian auction houses who have little expertise with pipes or tobaccoiania
I usually abstain

Reactions: AroEnglish and milk

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Unsmoked (apparently), but not in mint condition. Meaning it didn't come off the line looking anything like that.

It's been sanded and re-finished, and whoever did it shiny-ized (gleamificated? glareified?) the chamber wall in the process.
He must use some kind of oil on the pipe before he photographs them, all his postings look oddly wet-shiny.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
He must use some kind of oil on the pipe before he photographs them, all his postings look oddly wet-shiny.
This is one of the few times where I'm going to disagree with George. I know Todd and have talked with him about the hi gloss result, which is real. He's just extremely careful with the polishing end of the business. Frankly I'm a bit surprised over the incredulous response. I can get this mirror gloss on my pipes using nothing more than some Paragon Wax and my hands. No buffer needed. It's all in the touch. Add to that careful angling of a harder light source and a bit of sweetening in Photoshop, perhaps a touch of contrast enhancement and maybe saturation and all done.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Normally, I would say Todd’s “candy apple” gloss shines are waaay beyond “factory issue,” but below is a Kaywoodie in package from about the same period, and his is just a notch or two beyond. I do feel like he alters history a bit too much for my taste, but he seems successful and there’s no faulting that I suppose.

View attachment 224096
Can you say a bit more about what you mean by "alters history"?

Reactions: kcghost

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This is one of the few times where I'm going to disagree with George. I know Todd and have talked with him about the hi gloss result, which is real. He's just extremely careful with the polishing end of the business. Frankly I'm a bit surprised over the incredulous response. I can get this mirror gloss on my pipes using nothing more than some Paragon Wax and my hands. No buffer needed. It's all in the touch. Add to that careful angling of a harder light source and a bit of sweetening in Photoshop, perhaps a touch of contrast enhancement and maybe saturation and all done.
That pictured finish looks well beyond what can be accomplished with a buffer, or by hand, in my opinion. It looks like he is applying something before photographing the pipes. Either that or editing of the picture with software. I've purchased two pipes from him, which were both excellent, but his pictures back then didn't have the current "wet look".

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Would agree with Jesse here. I've bought several pipes from Todd and when in hand they aren't as "shiny" as how they appear in his photographs.
Besides, I don't understand the criticism Todd receives over his shiny pipes, would y'all prefer them to look dull and flat?
His stem work is fantastic too, which are in fact very well repaired, cleaned, polished.
Great seller too.
Just my 0.02 cents worth.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Would agree with Jesse here. I've bought several pipes from Todd and when in hand they aren't as "shiny" as how they appear in his photographs.
Besides, I don't understand the criticism Todd receives over his shiny pipes, would y'all prefer them to look dull and flat?
His stem work is fantastic too, which are in fact very well repaired, cleaned, polished.
Great seller too.
Just my 0.02 cents worth.

I’ve bought from him as well, but I would prefer he did less to his pipes than he does. I have no control over that, so it doesn’t matter. I can choose to try to buy from him or not. It’s not a big deal.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
The pickings in Australia are pretty slim
The occasional item that comes up are usually not Listed/presented well by the handful of Australian auction houses who have little expertise with pipes or tobaccoiania
I usually abstain
Aside from that, the tobacco taxes down under will kill you.

• Sad
Reactions: OzPiper

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I was referring to the outside of the stummel as well as the inside of the chamber.

Sanded all over, stained, and made shiny.

There are any number of reasons why re-finishing an unsmoked pipe might be necessary, and the listing only says "unsmoked", not "mint", which is technically correct, but such wordplay diminishes our hobby, imo.
The grain probably didn’t pop enough from the factory…

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
This did way better than I thought it would, didn’t think there was that much love out there old WDC’s.

Reactions: AroEnglish