PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I don't know that this is all that super-interesting to most, but it's a cased 1902, amber stem WH Carrington meerschaum - very high-quality pipes, usually (always?) with Chester-hallmarked bands.

These 100+ year old quality meers, when straight, are very easy to clean and result in fantastic smokers. Makes me wonder why anyone buys new meerschaum pipes.

Estate Charrington WHC Meerschaum Silver Band Pipe - Free Shipping!!! | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/375330731359

s-l1600.jpg
I have an absolutely identical WH Carrington. 😁

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Reactions: FLDRD and DrBryant

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019

DrBryant

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2024
Houston, TX

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I quite fancied this Barling motodome.
View attachment 299844
I have a couple of these. Beautiful to look at, but I find the wind cap kind of a pain in the ass, so I rarely smoke them.
This one was a bit dinged up, so it didn't quite get the price these usually get. Also, these are not called motordomes. Barling called these Motor pipes.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I don't know that this is all that super-interesting to most, but it's a cased 1902, amber stem WH Carrington meerschaum - very high-quality pipes, usually (always?) with Chester-hallmarked bands.

These 100+ year old quality meers, when straight, are very easy to clean and result in fantastic smokers. Makes me wonder why anyone buys new meerschaum pipes.

Estate Charrington WHC Meerschaum Silver Band Pipe - Free Shipping!!! | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/375330731359

s-l1600.jpg
Excellent pickup & I buy new Meerschaums so we can color them ourselves. Some folks don’t like puffing on estates too I suppose. Enjoy the Charrington. 👍☕

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Excellent pickup & I buy new Meerschaums so we can color them ourselves. Some folks don’t like puffing on estates too I suppose. Enjoy the Charrington. 👍☕
It was kind of a rhetorical comment :), as I've participated in a lot of the 'meer coloring' debate/discussions. This one has a tiny bit of a start - just enough to know it will color nicely if smoked enough. Those new Turkish ones ... there's really no telling but the Magic 8 Ball says "Don't count on it."

I find it interesting when someone says they won't put an estate pipe in their mouth because someone else had the stem in their mouth. I wonder if these smokers bring their own silverware to restaurants.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Another of his that ended today was also interesting. I thought it went kind of low for a 1935 Dunhill LB with good ring grain.

1935 Duhill LB

s-l1600.png
I suspect it didn’t bring huge $ because the obvious tenon repair scared off any prospective big spenders.

I find the sellers willingness to insinuate that it might be original to be willfull ignorance at best. That’s clearly a Vernon tenon that’s been replaced with a threaded aluminum tenon, the mortise has had a briar plug glued in and then tapped.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I suspect it didn’t bring huge $ because the obvious tenon repair scared off any prospective big spenders.

I find the sellers willingness to insinuate that it might be original to be willfull ignorance at best. That’s clearly a Vernon tenon that’s been replaced with a threaded aluminum tenon, the mortise has had a briar plug glued in and then tapped.

Yes, and the weak nomenclature also played a role in the relatively modest outcome.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State

I wonder if George thinks the vulcanite part of the stem is original. I have a '35 with the same bit design, but the bit doesn't look much like this one.

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
I was shopping for an Ashton and saw this interesting "Achievement" model. Dropped what I thought was a low ball bid and ended up with it. Guess I don't have to shop for an Ashton now...

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I was shopping for an Ashton and saw this interesting "Achievement" model. Dropped what I thought was a low ball bid and ended up with it. Guess I don't have to shop for an Ashton now...

Excellent win.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
It was kind of a rhetorical comment :), as I've participated in a lot of the 'meer coloring' debate/discussions. This one has a tiny bit of a start - just enough to know it will color nicely if smoked enough. Those new Turkish ones ... there's really no telling but the Magic 8 Ball says "Don't count on it."

I find it interesting when someone says they won't put an estate pipe in their mouth because someone else had the stem in their mouth. I wonder if these smokers bring their own silverware to restaurants.
I do bring my own pillow and bed linen to hotels :)

Reactions: jguss