PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
This regards an ebay BIN auction.

I'm thinking I see 'seated Hibernia' in the left hallmark on the bottom, followed by a harp and a square-enclosed date hallmark which isn't readable in the top photo, but looks like an 'm' in the bottom one.

The seller says these are "faux hallmarks". Thoughts?

I haven't posted handles, links, etc., because I'm not looking for a fight - just looking to learn. I've been wrong plenty of times before and have no problem being wrong again. Just be pleasant about it, please :)

dJZsob8.jpeg

zrP3u8r.png

• Angry
Reactions: bayareabriar

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
This regards an ebay BIN auction.

I'm thinking I see 'seated Hibernia' in the left hallmark on the bottom, followed by a harp and a square-enclosed date hallmark which isn't readable in the top photo, but looks like an 'm' in the bottom one.

The seller says these are "faux hallmarks". Thoughts?

I haven't posted handles, links, etc., because I'm not looking for a fight - just looking to learn. I've been wrong plenty of times before and have no problem being wrong again. Just be pleasant about it, please :)

dJZsob8.jpeg

zrP3u8r.png
You just can’t seem to let shit go can you? It’s a faux hallmark. What do you want to prove someone right? Yourself? Not including links because you’ve been wrong so many time before?

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State

Maybe. Here's what the 'Hibernia' and 'Harp' hallmarks would look like when clearer. That hallmark row at the bottom was often very blurry on the diamond shank Petersons - no idea why.

In the seller's defense, I'm sure he wasn't trying to deceive anyone - I've bought many pipes from him back when his ebay handle started with zacgate. He was always friendly and open to learning.

CrMVmrt.png

Reactions: grimpeur

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Here are two Barling EXEL T.V.F. large princes that sold 'recently' on ebay. The first one went for $151 (+ship/tax) in March, and I bought the second one for $100 (+ship/tax) and received it yesterday. Mine's a 1971 (not 1911 :)) and I can't read the date HM on the earlier sale.

Given the discussion we had recently about Barling vs Barling's pipes, the price seems high on these. I'm curious what the experts here think about it. Regardless, I'm happy with mine - it is restoring beautifully, has nice grain and no fill, and seems high quality even if not compared to earlier Barling's pipes.

19xx Barling 5387 Prince

1971 Barling 5387 Prince

1zsRqab.jpeg

Jgfczdc.jpeg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's had to establish price consistency on Ebay, for pipes just outside their collectible eras.
I paid $46 for this hallmarked 1965 bent billiard, and its an awesome smoking pipes, and quickly became one of my favorite, small bent billiards.
I'm not a fan of Barlings "stick of gum" shape stems, but this one has a great button and has that clicky Comoy's/Sasieni feel that I like.

Barling_Sandblast_1965_Gallery_.jpg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
It's had to establish price consistency on Ebay, for pipes just outside their collectible eras.
I paid $46 for this hallmarked 1965 bent billiard, and its an awesome smoking pipes, and quickly became one of my favorite, small bent billiards.

View attachment 307815
It's hard to go wrong with that configuration!

I have to admit, when I saw the seller's '1911' description I decided not to do my research and risk losing the BIN, as the pipe looked very old. As soon as I paid I checked back and spotted the 'Barling' stamp and realized I'd goofed. It turned out to be okay - I enjoy smoking small princes and have never owned one with a larger bowl like this one has.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here are two Barling EXEL T.V.F. large princes that sold 'recently' on ebay. The first one went for $151 (+ship/tax) in March, and I bought the second one for $100 (+ship/tax) and received it yesterday. Mine's a 1971 (not 1911 :)) and I can't read the date HM on the earlier sale.

Given the discussion we had recently about Barling vs Barling's pipes, the price seems high on these. I'm curious what the experts here think about it. Regardless, I'm happy with mine - it is restoring beautifully, has nice grain and no fill, and seems high quality even if not compared to earlier Barling's pipes.

19xx Barling 5387 Prince

1971 Barling 5387 Prince

1zsRqab.jpeg

Jgfczdc.jpeg
Prices for anything on eBay depend on who's looking on a given day, how well the pipe is presented, the knowledge of the buyer, and the condition.
The pipe that went for $150 appears to have a date stamp for 1971 as well, when I blow up the image. There's a noticeable difference in the condition of the stems and the exterior of the bowls. 1971 means that neither pipe was made by Barling, since the factories had shut down the year before.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I hope someone here grabbed this $46 Charatan.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Prices for anything on eBay depend on who's looking on a given day, how well the pipe is presented, the knowledge of the buyer, and the condition.
The pipe that went for $150 appears to have a date stamp for 1971 as well, when I blow up the image. There's a noticeable difference in the condition of the stems and the exterior of the bowls. 1971 means that neither pipe was made by Barling, since the factories had shut down the year before.
Thanks. I found info on Pipedia that said after the factory closed, they were made by Charatans, Oppenheimer and other unknown companies. So I'll add this 'non-Barling Barling' to my collection that also includes a couple of 'Barling non-Barling'. I think I only have two actual "Barling's made by Barling's".

My toes have been dipped and I'm pulling them out of the water.

Reactions: sablebrush52