PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've never seen a Comoys "Perfection" (nor heard of this). Does anyone know the backstory? Sold @ $890.

1715558567743.png
1715558599086.png

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
No clue as to the backstory; a patent number would be helpful. I think the case stamp says PERFECCION not PERFECTION, although the meaning is the same.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
A couple of interesting auctions ended/are ending this evening.

View attachment 309828
Deadman bought this set from Premal at Chicago. I don't recall the exact price but I'm sure he lost money on it.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Deadman bought this set from Premal at Chicago. I don't recall the exact price but I'm sure he lost money on it.
It went for a bit less than I thought it would. I thought about bidding on it, but the rim wear was off putting. Also, I just spent a small fortune on Satchel's booster shots, vet visit, and her Spa Day. Between the two, Satchel wins hands down.

Last edited:

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I've never seen a Comoys "Perfection" (nor heard of this). Does anyone know the backstory? Sold @ $890.

View attachment 309834
View attachment 309835
If this is from around the time of the tobacco 'cartridges', could this be some sort of in-built cartridge loader? I can't work out if the whole bit on the inside of the lid pushes down or if something comes through the hole.

Never seen anything like it!

Reactions: jguss
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

View attachment 309834
View attachment 309835

I had a bid ready to go on that, but the minimum jumped up much higher than expected.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I had a bid ready to go on that, but the minimum jumped up much higher than expected.

Can anyone read the morose (if not sullen) smudge purporting to be the date hallmark? That might actually help find the “device” employed on the pipe.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
If this is from around the time of the tobacco 'cartridges', could this be some sort of in-built cartridge loader? I can't work out if the whole bit on the inside of the lid pushes down or if something comes through the hole.

Never seen anything like it!
I have but never on a Comoy. It’s a built in, spring loaded tamper.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Here's the first 1930's silver ferrule 309 I've seen on ebay. It was a BIN and so someone bought it before I ever saw the listing: 1930's 309 with silver ferrule.

This stummel is as close as I've seen to Rathbone's 309 stummel, although it's probably from the 1940's, maybe even the 1950's. Below the full pipe image, a composite shows Rathbone's pipe's silver ferrule at left, followed by a clearer example of the same ferrule stamping design on another 1930's pipe, followed by the stamping for the one that just sold on ebay:

s-l1600.webp

b5yCZvJ.png

Sig

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY

View attachment 309834
View attachment 309835
Ive also never heard of this Comoys.
Comoys is one if my favorite old pipes.
Ive got a bunch in my collection.
In all my years of searching for Comoys pipes, Ive never came across this line or contraption.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'd say not a chance based on this picture.

View attachment 310012
Can anyone read the morose (if not sullen) smudge purporting to be the date hallmark? That might actually help find the “device” employed on the pipe.
Looking at the Comoy's stamp, if I remember my stamps properly, the pipe dates from between 1909 and 1922. I believe it was around 1922 that the slant was removed from the lettering. I could be wrong as it's been awhile since I looked at some early catalogs.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Ive also never heard of this Comoys.
Comoys is one if my favorite old pipes.
Ive got a bunch in my collection.
In all my years of searching for Comoys pipes, Ive never came across this line or contraption.
I was only able to find a "snippet view" but it appears that the description of the gadget matches the brand "Perfeccion Pipe" on the case. And the 1909 above from @sablebrush52 would also fit according to the publication date on the snippet.

perfeccion.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was only able to find a "snippet view" but it appears that the description of the gadget matches the brand "Perfeccion Pipe" on the case. And the 1909 above from @sablebrush52 would also fit according to the publication date on the snippet.

View attachment 310107
Great detective work! I guess that was an option add on, but comes with a fitted case. I wonder if Comoy's did the work?

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Seems unlikely to me. Comoy’s (unlike Barling) weren’t really silversmiths and as far as I know limited themselves to bands. Of course better photos of the pipe might help settle this.
I thought comoys had there own type of "Motor Dome" pipe? If so I wonder if they did the silver work. I was into this pipe for a good half grand after it past that I didn't think it was worth it. If there was more info on it I might have went higher but based on the limited info as in "Prima" stamp and what not but nothing on the actual mechanism. That snippet is awsome thank you for that.

I hope whoever won will post some pics where we can see it a bit better.

Reactions: sablebrush52

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
That snippet is awsome thank you for that.

If someone really cares enough to devote time and energy to this conundrum greeneyes’ sleuthing has provided the key to what might provide more information. The publication digitized by Google (Western Power Boat Association: 1909) is held by the University of Wisconsin’s library (see: Officers, by-laws, members, racing rules, etc - Catalog - UW-Madison Libraries - https://search.library.wisc.edu/catalog/999533185402121) and contacting them might lead to a copy of the relevant page (104).

In lieu of such a copy note that while Google only provides snippets of their scan of this particular document they do, somewhat perversely, allow searches which can through trial and error tell you more about what’s on the unseeable portion of the page. So, for example, diligent researchers can tell that in addition to the snippet page 104 includes the words Comoy’s and patent.

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
If someone really cares enough to devote time and energy to this conundrum greeneyes’ sleuthing has provided the key to what might provide more information. The publication digitized by Google (Western Power Boat Association: 1909) is held by the University of Wisconsin’s library (see: Officers, by-laws, members, racing rules, etc - Catalog - UW-Madison Libraries - https://search.library.wisc.edu/catalog/999533185402121) and contacting them might lead to a copy of the relevant page (104).

In lieu of such a copy note that while Google only provides snippets of their scan of this particular document they do, somewhat perversely, allow searches which can through trial and error tell you more about what’s on the unseeable portion of the page. So, for example, diligent researchers can tell that in addition to the snippet page 104 includes the words Comoy’s and patent.
Here it is, I was able to access a scanned copyIMG_20240514_021737.jpg